What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Classics of the Supernatural
This topic is about Classics of the Supernatural
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short series of Horror/Mystery books, published a while ago 1980-1990s but read a few years ago. Last story- man commits mass identity theft by killing and assuming people's identity as he travels. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeke__ (new)

Zeke__ | 5 comments This was a short series of stories, with a black paper cover, which I found on an used book stall, but I eventually threw it out because of lack of space, but have greatly regretted it since!!
There were several short stories, and I can't remember most, however there was one of a couple going to Venice (?) on a holiday, but the mother becomes convinced that her daughter is dying (at home?) There are a few creepy old woman and it ends with the mother knowing her daughter has died as she sees her ghost on a ship coming into Venice.
The last story in particular was very interesting, with a man who is never introduced properly, but takes on new identities as he kills people and rifles their pockets for ID. Part of it was set in an airport and he possibly dies at the end.
Thank you all!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments And there is one story per book? There are some differences but the first one reminds me of Daphne du Maurier's Don't Look Now.

message 3: by [on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Oct 06, 2019 04:40PM) (new) - added it

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments The second story sounds a lot like Halley's Passing by Michael McDowell (one of my favourite horror stories, incidentally). Looking at where it appears, an anthology called Classics of the Supernatural also has Don't Look Now (another great story, by the way); which makes me suspect that this is probably your book.

message 6: by Zeke__ (new)

Zeke__ | 5 comments @the rockabilly werewolf from Mars I’m not sure if you’ll get this notification but Classics of the Supernatural is definitely it!!! Thats the exact cover I remember it having but obviously it’s so plain I couldn’t describe it anymore!! I’ve ordered a copy now and I can’t wait to reread Halley’s Passing, I’ve been thinking about it since at least 2016! Thanks so much for your help and I wish you all the best!!

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1527 comments You're welcome. It's definitely one of the best horror stories I've ever read.