Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Catch-22
This topic is about Catch-22
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Catch 22 [Jun 17, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
This is a buddy read for Catch-22 by Joseph Heller starting June 17, 2018. Catch-22 (Catch-22 #1) by Joseph Heller

message 2: by Zaara (last edited Jun 18, 2018 01:16AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Laura @Ahdam
I'm just about finishing up the last sixty pages of my current read so I will start this tonight. We can take it slow and work to finish it by end of the month...this is my plan, at least...

message 3: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments I will come in 2weeks

message 4: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Great!

message 5: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments I feel like I am unaware of half the buddy reads this group is doing at any given point of time.
In-ish.

message 6: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments Hey @Sha we have Vicious in 2 days. Told you I would remind you :)

message 7: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I am being goaded by hundreds of ppl mentioning the Vicious BR to me in subtle and unsubtle ways....o wtf....I will cave eventually, I know it. Since I am anyway gonna go to the bookstore...

message 8: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments //unsubtly pokes Zaara in the direction of Vicious

message 9: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Beste wrote: "Hey @Sha we have Vicious in 2 days. Told you I would remind you :)"

And thanks. :D

message 10: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments Mission completed @Sha, We may leave now :)))))

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'll be here soon. Working on Caliban's War & Altered Carbon right now. Also hoping to make it to Vicious... But Catch-22 is on the shelf calling to me.

message 12: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Sha wrote: "//unsubtly pokes Zaara in the direction of Vicious"

😂 enablers.
We are ALL siscouraging ENABLERS...
@Laura, now you have to come for Vicious as well. The poking is toooooo unsubtle.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments OK, unsubtly poked. I'll be at Vicious then🤣

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I loved this book. I hope you all like it as much as I did.

message 15: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Did nobody else start? Read the first few chapters. Still finding my feet...

message 16: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments I will be here soon after Vicious, Last Namsara, The Last Wish. :)
Very soon...

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'll be a little late. I have the book but I'm getting the vibe that I'll need to give it my undivided attention. Think so? I'd like to finish Caliban's War and then come back. Planning on reading all weekend, ignoring kids and all responsibilities. Wish me luck!

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Starting today!

message 19: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments No worries. Even Beste is gonna be late. I remembered that I totally forgot (what is with me and such sentences?) abt Riyria so I put this on hold and got on with that.
Now I'll start Vicious. Take me a couple days.
This book...its not too difficult and rollicking fun once you get into it. So I will read this book and relieve myself with the Anthony Bridgerton when I need a break.
You will totally catch up the eight chapters in three days....

message 20: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Sorry I've had a bit of a hiatus with reading can't guarantee I'll join but I'll try to when I feel like it now that I have a few weights off of my shoulder

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Just read the first two chapters. Um... crazy?

message 22: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Haha yeah..it is a hard book to comment abt.
Yossarian 😂😂😂 I imagine him driving everyone absolutely crazy with an absolutely straight face.
For the first few minutes I was also floundering (no shame in admitting this...😜😂😝) and then...its satire....every sentence means exactly the opposite of what it is saying. Xept if it is directly insulting something. In which case, it means exactly what it says. But much more.
The bit about the Maraschino cherries...😂😂😂 when you think what they must actually have been eating.
The rage I quickly recognised. Did you reach the (view spoiler) and all the bits about managerial incompetence?
I can!t wait to see what @Beste thinks?

message 23: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I read this years ago. Have fun, it's rather clever.

message 24: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments I remember dropping this when I read it about a decade ago because it was too weird. Apparently my tastes have changed because now I'm just smirking at the book.

message 25: by Zaara (last edited Jun 24, 2018 11:58PM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Graeme wrote: "I read this years ago. Have fun, it's rather clever."

I"m sure the events and ppl lampooned have real life correspondences...but I don't have enough knowledge to slot them into place.

EDIT - Major Major Major Major 😂

message 26: by Zaara (last edited Jun 25, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Sha wrote: "I remember dropping this when I read it about a decade ago because it was too weird. Apparently my tastes have changed because now I'm just smirking at the book."

Where have you reached? And this is true that you each book has its time...you won't appreciate it if you pre-empt. I remember reading Wuthering Heights too young. Mind, this is me....I read Jane Eyre and Great Expectations and the Man in the Iron Mask (too difficult) at 11-12.
I hated Heathcliff and could never get Cathy....even when I tried again at 18 and nyet. Then....couple years ago...

EDIT: And this is an add-on from what we were discussing on the Feel Good books thread...ppl love in different ways today.
Gratification is so instant and its all so mechanical...but perhaps this is just my Oonagh self with the black heart....
Great link, btw.

2ND edit: Sorry. Back to the trenches.

message 27: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Zaara wrote: "Graeme wrote: "I read this years ago. Have fun, it's rather clever."

I"m sure the events and ppl lampooned have real life correspondences...but I don't have enough knowledge to slot them into plac..."

Yeah, Major x4 is hilarious.

message 28: by Zaara (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:57AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I read a bit more. Laura...I guess it's just you and me...sorry I have neglected this thread a bit...well, now I made up for it a la Vrginie, Laura, Zaaaazu.....

Are you liking/not liking it?
I know I PMd you that I will read this at a rush and finish it before I leave so I won't hv to carry with...but I find I cannot. I can consume this book only in small daily instalments or it makes me angry...the scale of human stupidity...

DISCURSIVE, NON-PLOT, GO GET SOME TEA 😂
So far (view spoiler)

@Graeme...Doc Daneeka...
You see Papi...
It was a corner location, but nothing helped....
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

message 29: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I cannot believe last week I was saying this book is hard to talk about...well, THAT changed....sorry it took me so long to post on here Laura. Dont feel like I neglected this one....
+ Beste will be here soon...

message 30: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments So I remembered @Ahdam is on this thread and Bruh before you post abt how all this is obscure, Ima cunningly preempt...

So bascially I meant matter (words) need something more to transform into energy (thoughts?? give cognitive energy to words and they beccome activated) and "that" co-efficient is what makes the writer's craft....i dunno....This is me I mean DitZa is trying to explain physics and cognition wtf...I cant even add three digit numbers....
And yeah I am so wierd + this book made me look at fundamental questions in a uhhhh fundamental way? I went back to the building blocks...was this supposed to happen? i dunno whether this is quite the right way to think abt this book or whether it is comme il faut quite the done thing? to share such thoughts or if it makes me a prat.
I wrote in terms of craft bcuz Graeme is here and I felt he will enjoy if I addressed the topic thru his lens....he does enjoy discussions on craft...
I talk about such things with Virginie....well...now of course I mean Virginie AND.....
All i know is that i will be sad when this book ends and I have to stop talking to it and reading from it.
@Ahdam, look I made a précis, speshul for you.
@Laura....uhm hi again?? 😂

message 31: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Sorry about that Zaara I’ve read a few chapters to eat a feel of it and oh my god everyone’s conversations is just like having a conversation with you it ends up all in riddles I’m not sure if I’m supposed to laugh or stay confused help me decipher this language Zaara 😂😂😂😂😂

message 32: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I’m looking back and it seems your the only one here Zaara sorry for the silence had a hiatus and trying to get back into books and this book probably wasn’t the best choice but I’ll make my way through

message 33: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Ahdam wrote: "I’m looking back and it seems your the only one here Zaara sorry for the silence"

Well...you're here...and I, I live in hope. My gals will be along, never fear, they won't let me talk to myself forever.
Advice, I think, hang in there for a bit. Then, if the book seems too much put it away. For a few years. Like I did with Wuthering Heights.
You are only 17, no?

message 34: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments I'm starting this and The Last Namsara both tonight to not miss deadlines.
Promise to myself: Don't sign up for all the good books :)
My BRT list shows 15 books this month beside The Midnight Star and The Winner's Kiss, I read on the side last week :!

message 35: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Heh, see Ahdam...what did I say? Somebody will soon come....
😊

message 36: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Well that’s good to know actually I’m 20 so your off for about 3 years

message 37: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Ahdam wrote: "Well that’s good to know actually I’m 20 so your off for about 3 years"

O d'oh! Yeah...you had your birthday recently...sorry, Ahdam....that was gauché of me. I did remember your birthday, its just you seem very young for 20...
We are all very ancient ppl....forgive us our senility...😂😂😂

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I'm here, but conflicted. I'm finding this book crazy, all the characters are completely wack, and it's really quite hilarious, full of great lines, but somehow I can only read little bits at a time and I kind of want to just ignore it... but I hate abandoning a good book just because I'm lazy... It's great and also extremely bizarre. Want to put it down but will never pick it back up again if I do...

message 39: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I’ll take that as a compliment then but ok another note just to boost my ego I am making a film or an episodic film right now and it may or may not be cringe but I am sticking with it 😂😂😂😂😂

message 40: by Ahdam (new)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments So if your wondering why I haven’t been reading lately I am working on a film just by myself so yeah

message 41: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Laura,I'm the same. Little bits at a time.

message 42: by Beste (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments @Zaara, @Laura Im doing the same here. I agree both of you. These ppl are the definition of crazy 😁 but we must admit the stories are brilliant.
At first I couldn't take this many ppl and events at the same time but after the middle of the book, you know that persons' character and reaction to events.
I was also shocked to see so many implications of true politics critics.
(About oil, corruption, financial 'benefits' of the war) and the real side effects of the war without filters.
The way soldiers think about war is explained in a hilarious way but it makes you question their psychology and you know what is told is the truth. Why would Yossarian think about who wins what or where in the war, he lives in uncertainty, he fights for a war that is not believed by him or his ppl.

message 43: by Zaara (last edited Jul 04, 2018 03:28AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Yes @Beste, those are good points you make. I xpecially liked the transition in your post from the collective cost of war to (in the last sentence) the individual cost.
And also...all the diverse little throwaway bits sprinkled here and there abt screaming :-( nightmares...what abt those??
I guess you will finish the book before me and Laura 😂😂😂 though we started earlier.
I'm on one of my little breaks...😈

message 44: by Beste (last edited Jul 04, 2018 05:19AM) (new) - added it

Beste | 1163 comments Zaara wrote: "Yes @Beste, those are good points you make. I xpecially liked the transition in your post from the collective cost of war to (in the last sentence) the individual cost.
And also...all the diverse l..."

I finished it already. I don't want to spoil it yet but you will steadily grow detestation through the end. The events build up to make you hate war. Not just some of the wars but all of it. The way ppl profit from it and the way it all seems like a chess game to some...

Ok I will spoil a little. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Beste and especially for @Laura, stopping by...read a light little book on the German occupation of Guernsey told epistolary style...it had this...“humor is the best way to make the unbearable bearable”
Hmmmm....

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Very appropriate.