What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Vampire novel read 20? years ago. Starts with a driver running over a rabbit. Human soldier/mercenary fights vampires whose leader is 900? years old. Government hunts vampires to use as biological weapons, lots of guns & explosions. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Carter (jaeyun) | 4 comments Trying to figure out the name or author of this book. I remember it opening up on a rabbit trying to make it's way across the road, and then something about a bullet proof tire from a vehicle, and the driver purposely swerving to squash the rabbit.

Then I have this memory as if it were book two in some trilogy or series. There is a human whose a soldier or mercenary. He fought against the vampires and their leader who is approximately 900 yeas old, and always refers to the human soldier as "mortal" or "human". Government was after the vampires to use as biological weapons. Elder vampire was hunted. Lots of guns, and explosions. Nothing really gothic about it. Also the book has it that the human was infected in his fight with the vampire leader, and starts to turn. One of the powers the human discovers is the ability to heal others by taking the injury into himself. Heals a woman with a twisted ankle or club foot.

That's all I can remember from it. But still it is driving me crazy. Must have read the book some twenty years ago.

message 2: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments I'm pretty sure I've read this... Maybe Yvonne Navarro's AfterAge? If not that, I'll think on it some more...

message 3: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Just checked, this is They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon. At least the opening scene with the rabbit and the driver (on a motorcycle) purposely swerving to break the rabbit's spine.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40603 comments Mod
Nicholas, please add some plot details to your header - we have quite a few members searching for vampire books and the idea is to have your thread stand out from all the others.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36528 comments Mod
I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it (without spoilers) using the small "edit" link on the desktop website (not the mobile app).

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40603 comments Mod
Nicholas, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas Carter (jaeyun) | 4 comments Never found it.