Den of Geek Book Club discussion

Brief Cases (The Dresden Files, #15.1)
This topic is about Brief Cases
JUNE/JULY: Brief Cases > Post your Brief Cases review!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Den of Geek (new)

Den of Geek (denofgeek) | 82 comments Mod
What did you think of Brief Cases? What was your favorite story? Here's a snippet from our review of the book:

"The best story in the collection is saved for last—and one of the things that makes it so delightful is that it's structured from the points-of-view of three different characters, discussing the events of the same day. Harry, his ten-year-old daughter, Maggie, and Foo Dog Mouse each narrate their unique conflicts of the day, each challenge tailored directly to the characters."

Read more here: denofgeek.us/us/books/den-of-geek-boo...

Robert Radford | 1 comments I loved the way the Zoo story switches from the point of view of Harry, Maggie, and Mouse. It gives some great insight into the minds of Maggie and Mouse and introduces potential dangers later in the series.

The other stories are great as well and it's a must read for any Dresden fans

Samuel (samremp) | 2 comments I'm happy to have more content but wished it was the main attraction and not just an appetizer.

message 4: by Sahil (new)

Sahil I really liked the short format, especially because it allows for insight into the other characters. In particular, I loved seeing Molly's growth in her 'new role'.

All in all, it was great and definitely whet my appetite for Peace Talks!

message 5: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Q | 1 comments Let me start off with saying that every story was amazing. High caliber, always! My favorites were those from Molly's POV. (I finally know how she got that apartment! It's been bugging me for years.)

I have to say that I feel a little cheated, though. As someone who has already bought Working For Bigfoot, I was dissatisfied to basically be paying for those stories twice. This feels like the publisher was trying to pad the anthology. Why, I have no idea. I think most of us wouldn't have minded a shorter book. Most of us bought the Big Foot anthology. Why pay us the disservice?

Patrick J Frederick (darkjester) | 1 comments Great book, loving the Bigfoot stories. So interesting getting into some of the other characters heads, other then Harry's.

message 7: by Kateblue (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - added it

Kateblue Well, it's going to be a while before I get to this one. I just read the first one. I don't know how I never read these before!

I am commenting in order to enter the contest to win them all as the Den of Geek website instructed me to do--so I can read them all .

Thanks! And I can't wait to participate in this group.

P.S. Do you think I can read this one before I read all the others? If it's short stories, do they fall at a particular time in the sequence?

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Garfinkel | 1 comments i found harry dresden in a book of short stories - i've read several in different anthologies - when i saw Brief Cases was coming out - was first in line at the library! enjoyed it very much - the entire series is in my TBR and I would love to win them all!

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin Truluck | 1 comments I'll start by saying there were a couple of reasons I was excited about this collection of stories. After hearing Jim talk about stories that explain the background behind Molly's apartment, Butters MMORPG experience, and Maggie's perspective about Dresden I knew this was going to be an entertaining book. So despite my dissappointment that it wasn't Peace Talks, I really enjoyed the read and the look outside the Dresden perspective.

That said, there were also a few good and bad surprises for me in this one. I definitely expected we would see the world from Maggie's perspective but to see the bravery in her story at such a young age definitely drives home the point that she is Dresden's daughter. I definitely didn't expect the fact that we would see the zoo from Mouse's perspective and that was definitely a high point for me. I did find myself getting a bit bored during the Bigfoot stories. Not because they were low action, but more because they felt like an afterthought and I didn't see how they would have played much into the overall chronology of the universe. It seemed a bit out of left field, but I did like the glimpses of father Harry peppered throughout the stories.

All in all the book was great and I would definitely recommend having a read if you are well versed in the Dresden universe. I don't think I would recommend starting here for a newbie.

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Lovecraft | 1 comments Loved it, from the old west to butter's first day as a knight which shows just how hard the knights of the cross have it.
My favourite has to be the rashomon inspired zoo day, with Harry, Molly and even Mouse all telling the not quite same story.

message 11: by Marc (new)

Marc Dobelman | 2 comments I am torn between Zoo Day and Day One. I had read Even Hand before and chased down book it was in before Brief Cases came out. I like the idea of both Harry and Maggie being afraid to mess up a normal trip to the zoo.

message 12: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (mspixiechick) | 1 comments Zoo Day was great but I really liked Bombshell and Day One best. Showing how a person’s experiences influence how they “know” who to help was fun.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the story from the point of view of Marcone.

message 14: by Attila (new)

Attila Katona | 1 comments What I appreciated most (besides the all new story, of course) was the short introduction before each and every short story - such snippets of real life circumstances and hidden motivations always make the story more personal, more alive.
thanks Jim :)

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin Theriault | 1 comments Zoo day was a great story rp keep me waiting a few more months for peace talks. I loved the multiple povs. Mouse's was my favorite

message 16: by PJ (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

PJ Arts | 1 comments In all the years that Jim Butcher has released Dresden Files books, the arrival of a new one has been a matter of celebration and anticipation. To be honest, I am so cheesed at him for delaying 'Peace Talks'...so that he could sidebar into comics, games and non-Dresden books...I actually glowered at 'Brief Cases' before opening it up (I think I also referred to Jim as a 'dolt' a few times, too). However disgruntled I am at the wait for the next novel, it was SO GOOD to spend a few hours in Dresden's world that I almost forgive his epic dawdling.

Regarding the collection, what could be better...other than a novel...than the chance to get better acquainted with Maggie, Mouse, Winter Lady Molly (whoa, does she have a raw deal, or what?) and Warden Ramirez (whoa, does he have a raw back, or what?)?
I had previously read the 'Bigfoot' stories...but, enjoyed them differently in the overall context of this collection. I had also previously read the 'Marcone' story...but, Gentleman Johnny is a compelling, enigmatic figure...and, its such spooky fun getting a peek inside his thought processes that I relished the return trip.

On its own, I both enjoyed and highly recommend 'Brief Cases'. However, as someone who has been feasting on the 'Files' since Fool Moon was published in 2001, I feel like someone who's waiting for his caveman ribeye to be delivered, and keeps getting tapas instead. Great hors d'oeuvres, Mr. Butcher...WHERE'S THE BEEF?
OK...I'm off the soapbox ;-)

message 17: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan (bassoforhire) | 1 comments I'm about a third of the way through. So far it's been a heck of a ride. Warden Luccio's trip to Dodge City was really fun, as were B Is For Bigfoot, and the curse of the goat story.

message 18: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill (bnchile4444) | 2 comments I havent had a chance to read any yet, i love the comic books and the tv show they did with the character.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Kloke | 1 comments Still in the process of reading - I agree with the overall comments.
..must...finish... :-)

Linda Matthies Mumford (lmumford) | 1 comments I’m about half way through. I am listening to the audio version. I really enjoy hearing from Jim Butcher himself. I looking forward to the Zoo story.

message 21: by Chad (new)

Chad West | 1 comments Zoo Day, but I may be biased based on my 4 dogs and impending daughter coming in August. I shouldn't read stories like that in dusty, dusty rooms anymore....it get water in my eyes.

message 22: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (Douwonderywewander) | 1 comments My favorite story so far is the first. I love the Wyatt Earp character. It's funny and interesting.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick | 1 comments I loved all of the stories but really enjoyed the different perspectives of the last one, it did bother me that dresden and Maggie didn't notice or mention mouse being hurt though

message 24: by Ray (new)

Ray Gunter | 1 comments It just makes me want more!

message 25: by Andy (new)

Andy Kay | 1 comments Completely new to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, I'm just about to start on Grave Peril (I know its #3 in the series, but a friend advised me it was a good place to start). I love the Alex Verus series of books, so I am looking forward to these as well.

message 26: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Dow Agree with one of the comments on the short format...kept the pace of the collection moving quickly. Loved the stories from other perspectives...maybe an idea for a spin-off or future stand alone.

Richard Willis | 1 comments The scope of the stores is impressive, and suggest two new possible spin-off series. The overall quality is also impressive, even though one or two dip a bit. Also, I'd highly recommend the audiobook in parallel to reading the book. James Marsters is masterful, especially in" a fistful of warlocks" and "zoo day".

Larisa (msgodiva1) | 1 comments Both short story collections are great to get a series fix in between long format releases. Brief Cases is delicious enough to read the hardcover one day and listen to the audiobook the next!

message 29: by Ian (new)

Ian C. | 2 comments Just got it. I was super intrested in "zoo day" and started with that first. I love how with each perspective it feels like it adds different elements as a set up for "peace talks". I cant wait to read all the stories!

I got into the Dresden Files when I was real depressed and down on my luck. My mom had all the books up to "changes" this was before ghost stories. It really pulled me out of my funk. I'm glad to have a new book to enjoy. :)

message 30: by Ian (new)

Ian C. | 2 comments *spoilers*

I think honestly "Zoo Day" will play a key role in "Peace talks". The three prespectives help build the set up. I have a feeling that the book of monsters that attack kids will play a role in the next book, as will mouses brother. Not sure about the warlock. I'm more excited than ever for the next book. Soooo many questions that need to be answered.

message 31: by Collin (new)

Collin | 2 comments I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but if it is anything like Side Jobs, it's better than a book.

message 32: by Lenard (new)

Lenard | 2 comments I have not started reading any of the Dresden File book, I am comenting in the hopes of winning the set so u can start

message 33: by Lenard (new)

Lenard | 2 comments *So I can start

message 34: by Zach (new)

Zach | 1 comments I made a mistake by reading it before getting further into the series.