21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > August 2018 Open Pick Nominations

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2881 comments Mod
Nominations are now open until June 22nd for the August 2018 Open Pick.

Nominating guidelines:
- Fiction (original & translation, if applicable) first published between January 1, 2000 and August 1, 2017. For translations the latter date must be an English edition.
- One nomination per person (please do not nominate or vote for a book unless you are certain you can read and discuss if it wins)
- A book this group has not yet read (see group bookshelf)

If you are nominating, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name with hyperlink to book]"

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2835 comments Mod
Thanks Marc

message 3: by Clarke (new)

Clarke Owens | 123 comments I nominate May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes.
Did this link work?

message 4: by Hugh (last edited Jun 15, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Yes - the link works.

I nominate Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, which as I am well aware was discussed extensively last year but seems a perfect fit for this group's criteria (though I am sure Doug will disagree!)

message 5: by Meike (new)

Meike (meikereads) I nominate Days Without End by Sebastian Barry. (That's the second chance now! :-))

message 6: by Lia (new)

Lia I nominate Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert | 461 comments I going to pitch Animal's People by Indra Sinha - Third time lucky???

message 8: by Doug (last edited Jun 15, 2018 03:39PM) (new)

Doug Hugh wrote: "Yes - the link works.

I nominate Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, which as I am well aware was discussed extensively last year but seems a perfect fit for this group's criteria (though I am sure Doug will disagree!) "

Well, since the book WAS published between the deadlines and hasn't been 'officially' read as a group pick, it DOES fit the criteria... since there is nothing about QUALITY in the guidelines! :-) But hasn't anyone interested in reading it ALREADY had the ... 'pleasure'? :-)

As counter programming, I will nominate the REAL best book of the past decade, and one equally polarizing: The Nix by Nathan Hill.

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Doug wrote: "...it DOES fit the criteria... since there is nothing about QUALITY in the guidelines! :-) ..."

(Chuckling...) "Rather, our passion is to explore those works of fiction which stand a good chance of being remembered fifty years from now."

Are you saying the chance of being remembered may be independent of "quality", Doug?

Reminder of the overall position for the group? (view spoiler)

message 10: by Marc (new)

I feel like 50 years from now Doug will still be hating on Reservoir 13! :p

(It's on my TBR list, but so is The Nix.)

Looks like we're already facing a tough round of voting!

message 11: by Doug (new)

Doug Lily wrote: "Doug wrote: "...it DOES fit the criteria... since there is nothing about QUALITY in the guidelines! :-) ..."

(Chuckling...) "Rather, our passion is to explore those works of fiction which stand a ..."

Ah ... I was just going by the guidelines in Marc's FIRST post ... didn't know there were other 'hidden' criteria! :-) ... and though longevity runs in the family (both my parents lived beyond their mid-90's), I'd be 114 in 50 years ... but then again, I MIGHT still be hating on R 13 from beyond the grave! :-)

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan Doug wrote: "As counter programming, I will nominate the REAL best book of the past decade, and one equally polarizing: The Nix by Nathan Hill."

Looking at my GR friends' reviews of The Nix, I think that it's actually much less polarizing than Reservoir 13.

message 13: by Meike (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Meike (meikereads) @Dan: YES! :-)

Oohhh, The Nix AND Days Without End - it's impossible to decide!!!

message 14: by Lily (last edited Jun 16, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Doug wrote: "Ah ... I was just going by the guidelines in Marc's FIRST post ... didn't know there were other 'hidden' criteria! :-)..."

(chuckling again) Doug -- I'd hardly refer to the comments on the top of the first page of the board as "hidden."

Since I was okay with Reservoir 13 (particularly the writer's ability to subtly change the descriptions as the seasons reappeared year-after-year, but also by using them as a technique to reveal the stories of the inhabitants of the region), but also have been suggesting to friends to read The Heart's Invisible Furies, I'll continue to listen to both you and Hugh for reading suggestions, even if I can only get to a few of them. And, will continue to enjoy the sparring! (view spoiler)

message 15: by Nadine in California (last edited Jun 16, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 477 comments Meike wrote: "@Dan: YES! :-)

Oohhh, The Nix AND Days Without End - it's impossible to decide!!!"

While I'm a fan of both books, I'd have to say Days Without End. For me, Nix was a great book for an author's first, but Days is the work of a master.

message 16: by Hugh (last edited Jun 18, 2018 12:56AM) (new)

This is going to be an interesting vote. Perhaps it is too soon to have a rational debate about Reservoir 13, but in purely structural terms I think it is very original. I did enjoy Days Without End, but last year's longlist was so strong that it was only fifth on my list (above four of the eventual shortlist, including the winner! I still haven't got round to reading The Nix, so I won't comment on that. Another think to bear in mind is that this year's Booker longlist discussions will be underway in August, so fitting in another 600 page doorstop may be difficult for some of us.

message 17: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2451 comments I loved Reservoir 13 and liked Days Without End, but since I've read them, I won't be voting for them. That won't make the decision any easier as each of the other three are ones I would like to read. And since the nominations to date are all excellent, I'll pass on nominating anything.

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2253 comments Mod
LindaJ^ wrote: "I loved Reservoir 13 and liked Days Without End, but since I've read them, I won't be voting for them. That won't make the decision any easier as each of the other three are ones I would like to re..."

Linda, if you have a preference as to which one you'd prefer to discuss, you are certainly still welcome to vote!

message 19: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2451 comments I have no particular preference at this moment but am sure that when the voting starts I will vote and maybe will change my vote depending on how the voting goes!

message 20: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 16 comments So glad I'm not the only person who didn't like Reservoir 13!

I nominate The Fire Gospel by Michel Faber, about an academic who discovers a fifth gospel from an eye witness to Jesus' last days.

message 21: by Hugh (new)

Last day for nominations today

message 22: by Hugh (new)

Lost track of this one, but I will set up the poll now.

message 23: by Hugh (new)

The poll is up now here (I suspect that seven books will lead to tactical vote switching later in the week!):
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 24: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 66 comments I am so happy that The Nix made it to this list. I have an Kindle edition waiting for me to read it and this would be a good opportunity.

message 25: by Marc (new)

I thought I knew which way I was voting, but somehow I missed seeing the A.M. Homes nomination before the poll went up! Decisions... decisions... decisions...

message 26: by Hugh (new)

Marc wrote: "I thought I knew which way I was voting, but somehow I missed seeing the A.M. Homes nomination before the poll went up! Decisions... decisions... decisions..."
It's a tough decision - I would be very interested in discussing Austerlitz and Days Without End too.

message 27: by Lia (new)

Lia We've got 4 books with 4 votes each. I suspect some "arranger" up there is having a laugh.

FWIW, I'd be equally happy to read Austerlitz, Reservoir 13, Days Without End, and The Nix. If anybody wants to bribe me... ;-)

message 28: by Marc (new)

Feels like we can hardly go wrong!

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 452 comments Lia wrote: "We've got 4 books with 4 votes each. I suspect some "arranger" up there is having a laugh.

FWIW, I'd be equally happy to read Austerlitz, Reservoir 13, Days Without End, and The Nix. If anybody w..."

That's the way to play the game!

message 30: by Hugh (new)

Last day to vote today, and it is still too close to call.

message 31: by Hugh (last edited Jul 03, 2018 12:41AM) (new)

Reservoir 13 has won the poll (sorry Doug!)

message 32: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2503 comments Hugh wrote: "Reservoir 13 has won the poll (sorry Doug!)"

I ordered The R13 tapes last night. (My library system has enough copies of R13 that I am undecided whether to order it. I used their copy the first time through.)

And Nix sits started on my night table (next time around?). For Days Without End, I need either an interlibrary loan or to stop at another favorite library in the system -- in a direction I haven't traveled for a couple of weeks. But then there are all the scattered books partially read at the moment.... Sigh....

message 33: by Doug (last edited Jul 03, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Doug Hugh wrote: "Reservoir 13 has won the poll (sorry Doug!)"

No problem! I ALMOST switched my own vote to R 13, so I would have the month free for the Booker marathon (I have a feeling there will be quite a few surprises there, unlike last year where I'd already read 7 of the 13 - and I'll need to catch up). Maybe I'll re-nominate The Nix for Sept. or Oct.! :-)

message 34: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments FYI - For those who live in the US, if your library subscribes to Hoopla, Reservoir 13 is available for immediate download as an ebook or audio book.

message 35: by Marc (new)

Thanks for the tip, Beverly!

message 36: by Hugh (new)

Thanks Beverly. I have just created the background thread for this discussion and will start the spoiler threads tomorrow.