The Cool Kids' Fantasy Club discussion

General discussion > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Mark (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Mark Lawrence (marklawrence) | 369 comments Mod
Say hi, if you like.

I'm guessing you know me. I write books. I read slowly but I review everything I read.

Currently I'm reading Station Eleven and writing the start of a crossover book. Soon I'll resume work on The Girl And The Stars, which is Book 1 in a trilogy set in the same world as the trilogy that starts with Red Sister.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 98 comments Hi!

I've been reading, primarily F & SF, since I first pulled John Christopher's The White Mountains off of my elementary school library shelf.

I do review almost everything I read (for varying values of "review"). Currently I'm wrapping up Tanith Lee's magnificent Flat Earth series with Night's Sorceries.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee Wilmore | 1 comments alright Mark. I'm in.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Lee wrote: "alright Mark. I'm in."

Lee! I think you adventured with the original Dr Taproot, yes?

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Jackson | 24 comments Hi, I'm Jeremy. I've been an avid lover of fantasy since I first discovered literature as a child. I am an aspiring author, currently working on polishing my third manuscript.

I am of course a fan of the moderator's writing, as well as Josiah Bancroft, K.J. Parker, Robin Hobb, the peerless Ursula K. le Guin, and a horde of others.

I am currently worming my way through Brian McKellan's Powdermage trilogy, Hobb's Tawny Man trilogy, and am in anxious anticipation of the release of Bancroft's The Hod King.

Cheers, all!

message 6: by Levi (new)

Levi (levi66) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Levi. I'm a voracious SF&F reader, and recently have been veering toward the gritty stuff.

I'm currently reading an ARC of The Empire of Ashes by Anthony Ryan.

message 7: by Andrea (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Andrea | 7 comments Hi, I'm Andrea.
Please don't judge me by my currently-reading shelf ;) I do read a lot of fantasy. Promise :D
I'm planning on reading The Vagrant next. I also need to continue making my way through Robin Hobb's universe (I'm currently stuck on the Liveship Traders books). Other favorite authors include Patrick Rothfuss, Terry Pratchett, Sebastien de Castell, Joe Abercrombie, Brian McClellan, and oh there's this other guy… name starts with an M ;)

message 8: by Brett (new)

Brett Orr (brettmichaelorr) | 1 comments Hello everyone! Thanks for the invite Mark!

I’m Brett, I’m an aspiring SFF author from Australia. I’ve written eight manuscripts, self-published one, and I’m currently working on a historical fantasy set during the Great Fire of London. Hopefully one day I’ll be making my own online book clubs like Mark ;)

Reading wise I’m about to read Blackwing by Ed McDonald, just finished The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan a short while ago.

Cheers!

message 9: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Simmonds | 1 comments Hello guys happy to be here! I am currently reading To Green Angel Tower Part 1 by Tad Williams. I have been a huge reader since reading Eragon as a preteen. Excited to talk about new and exciting literature.

message 10: by Esme (new)

Esme (esmerelda-weatherwax) | 1 comments Hey guys, thanks for the add Mark!

I'm Esme from r/fantasy. I read a ton of indie stuff, constantly looking for diamonds in the rough.

I love comedy, and Pratchett is sort of my hero.

I'll read just about any subgenre outside of heavy romance, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

I review first on my blog, and then whenever I remember I copy paste the review over to Goodreads and Amazon.

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (chilari) | 1 comments Hey thanks for the invite :) I'm Ally, I'm 30 and British, and I both read and write fantasy - though I'm unpublished at the moment. Currently reading Grey Sister by, uh, some guy called Mark Lawrence, if anyone's heard of him ;) Loving it.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 98 comments (I'm also always happy for new friend requests, as long as you're not a Russian bot linking to a pirate download site.)

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (noopulence) | 2 comments Hi I'm Daniel,

I'm 32 and Australian. I read and write fantasy. Read: all sorts of things. Write: mostly urban fantasy. Unpublished at the moment.

Currently reading Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey (sandman slim #2) and the emperor's blades by brian stavely.

Everyone should add me as a friend on good reads as I like to see what other people are reading and enjoying and recommending :D

message 14: by Kbc (last edited Jun 14, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Kbc | 6 comments Hello! I'm Kristin, hailing from LA and an avid reader of fantasy since I snagged the Lord of the Rings from my grandfather's shelf at 9.

I'm a big fan of books that turns the standards on their ears, and shows finely drawn and honestly human characters.

Currently reading Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan.

Really looking forward to getting to know the group. Thanks so much Mark!

message 15: by Keith (new)

Keith | 1 comments Hello there, I’m Keith, a sea captain from Scotland. Thirty odd years ago an aunt gave me one of Joe Dever’s Lone Wolf game books for my birthday and I’ve been reading fantasy and science fiction ever since (being at sea gives you a LOT of reading time).

Now I’ve got young kids and my reading has slowed to a trickle but at the moment I’m enjoying Glen Cook’s The Chronicles of the Black Company.

message 16: by Mark (new)

Andrea wrote: "Hi, I'm Andrea.
Please don't judge me by my currently-reading shelf ;) I do read a lot of fantasy. Promise :D
I'm planning on reading The Vagrant next. I also need to continue makin..."

i liked The Vagrant a lot. And the author has a new book out today! The Deathless.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Brett wrote: "Hello everyone! Thanks for the invite Mark!

I’m Brett, I’m an aspiring SFF author from Australia. I’ve written eight manuscripts, self-published one, and I’m currently working on a historical fant..."

Blackwing was a good one! & I always have time for Anthony Ryan's writing.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Corbin wrote: "Hello guys happy to be here! I am currently reading To Green Angel Tower Part 1 by Tad Williams. I have been a huge reader since reading Eragon as a preteen. Excited to talk about new and exciting ..."

I read the first of that trilogy the year it came out (1988) but I don't think I finished the 2nd book (I think it was good but something distracted me and I never went back).

I think I'm right to say that Green Angel Tower is the longest published fantasy book!

http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2...

message 19: by Ivenn (new)

Ivenn | 1 comments Hey-hey! :) I am Niki from Hungary and I would like to thank Mark for inviting me into this cool little group! (Now I am feeling like being part of a secret sect or something. :D)

Just like many of you I'm also in love with the fantasy genre but I am currently reading a really creepy horror/weird book from a Hungarian author, Attila Veres. :) Before that I was reading Charmcaster by Sebastien de Castell which I absolutely adore and love! (I could talk about the Spellslinger series for a day so don't mention it too often because I can easily turn into a rabid fangirl.)

Btw I am also a norse-addict, I love everything which is connected to the norse mythology, vikings and just have a norse vibe. So if you know a good viking fantasy (of course I've already read a really good one which has a character named Snorri ;) ), please don't hesitate, I am always open for new suggestions. :)

message 20: by Ciara (new)

Ciara Houghton | 8 comments Hey everyone! I read or listen to mostly fantasy, with Lawrence, Abercrombie, Sanderson, Butcher, Hobb, LeGuin, Weeks, Sullivan, and Rothfuss all hovering at the top of the list.

I also draw stuff, sometimes fan art, as leversandpulleys (instagram, Twitter, musical.ly), which is why I listen to a lot of what I “read.”

Right now I’m finishing up the 15th Dresden book. Oh, also, I can’t begin Grey Sister because I’m waiting for my wife to be ready so we can listen together before I read (and likely reread) the print. It’s only on my mind every single day. No biggie. 😅

Great meeting you all!
Craig Houghton

message 21: by Craig (new)

Craig Aird | 1 comments Hey guys. My name is Craig Aird and I am the author of Truth Or Darkness.

Thanks to Mark for adding me to the group. It’s good to see some new faces as well as familiar ones. I look forward to discussing our favourite books.

At the moment I am reading Too Cold To Bleed by Dominic Murray. It’s the second of a planned trilogy, and great if you like dark, military fantasy.

Happy to accept friend requests so I can find more books to the ever-growing TBR list.

Craig

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 4 comments Hello Mark and everyone,

Thank you for the invitation Mark! Growing up the youngest of seven wherein that muchly debated and hard won "cool kid" title was up for grabs and often not attained, it is gratifying to know that I have finally made it in. :)

I love to read books. I have always enjoyed the classics, children's and adult literature with a special affinity for Jane Austen and L.M. Montgomery and sadly (or perhaps not too sadly) a boredom edging toward disdain for anything that brought me too far back into the reality of contemporary life. I came to the Sci Fi/Fantasy party a little late (with the exceptions of Tolkien and Lewis, of course), but at my husband Jeremy's and various friends and acquaintances urging. But now that I am here, I am so very glad to be. It's a little like eating pie all your life and enjoying it, but then suddenly discovering that there's cake too!

I like a good review. I like reading a good review, and I like writing a good review (I hope). And I enjoy writing in general. I cast my short stories and bread upon the waters as often as I dare in hopes they will return to me in print and someday to be a real boy and published author. I write creative non-fiction because that is what my degree was in, and I needed baby steps to make me feel stronger and capable, but now I have started writing fiction, historical fiction, and I am proud to say i have a fairie tale on the way. I am hoping to finish it this year as I said last year. But there is a local comic and fantasy con coming up this fall that I would like to attend, so I am trying to make that my goal for finishing.

Thank you again, Mark, for including me here. I am looking forward to starting Red Sister very soon. And it is so hard choose favorites among the fantasy I have read so far, but Patrick Rothfuss' books are climbing the charts for me right now, as well as the Tiffany Aching and Witches Pratchett Series', and I was fairly taken with the Night Circus and The Midnight Queen both of which seemed to marry the concept of fantasy and historical fiction in a delightful way for me.

message 23: by Cory (new)

Cory Peter | 4 comments <--- That's me!

I'm just a dude from Smallville, KS who enjoys reading SFF to escape my social anxiety. Aside from reading I spend my time working, writing, woodworking, and goofing off with (and reading to) my 3 little dudes.

Haven't actually read any of Mark's books yet, but looking forward to them based on fantasy faction hype. I'll get to them eventually, promise!

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1 comments Thank you for the invite!

message 25: by Addi (new)

Addi (addisu) | 73 comments Hi Mark and all,

Thanks for the invite! I read a wide variety of books, many for work (I am an anthropologist). Fantasy remains one of my favorite genres and its cool times for the genre! Looking forward to this group. Cheers!

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (joppy) | 2 comments Hi everyone, and thank you Mark for the invite! My name is Jason, and I’m just some random guy who works offshore, which allows me the time to read some really good books, primarily fantasy. I’m currently working my way through a list of SPFBO books I found on a blog by some guy named Mark, and they are leading me down a rabbit hole!

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Mayoras | 3 comments Hello!

Thanks for the invite! I am reader for all genres but seem to stick to scifi/fantasy most. I review, using a very loose term here, most books I read. Currently reading The Fold by Peter Clines, excellent book and author that I hightly recommend. Look forward to further discussion.

message 28: by Joey (new)

Joey (aiyume7) | 1 comments Hi there!

Thanks for the invite :)

I'm from Croatia, and am 25 years old. I read mostly fantasy, but enjoy many of the other genres as well - the only things that matter are good ideas and at least relatively well-put story. I almost never review books, but I'm always happy to recommend something I think people will like. Other than that, I love organizing stuff, listening to others, sleep and long walks.

Cheers ^^

message 29: by David (new)

David Humphrey | 2 comments Hello all, I'm an indie author who writes stories about the medieval mercenary called Valguard. I'm relatively new but have bagged a award for writing and current WIP is book 5, Vampire Night.

Reading is a mixed bag and switch genre SFF, humour, crime and classics as listed on Goodreads just finished post apocalyptic zombie The One & Only by Julia Ash and SF series #4 Arkship Conquest by Niel Bushnell. Controversially here, I really wanted to love The Vagrant but was disappointed (sorry Peter) with its staccato prose.

Glad to be here

message 30: by Juniper (new)

Juniper Nichols (moonjunio) | 2 comments Juniper here, California transplant living in New Zealand. Mark, I knew you were “good people” when I saw the mutual admiration between Hobb and you. One of the things I am is an unpublished fantasy YA writer. :-) I loved your Thorns trilogy, and you have great taste in goodreads reviews - curious to see how this group develops.

message 31: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 128 comments Hi everyone 👋 Thanks for the invite Mark 😀

My name’s Jacqueline and I live in NSW Australia. I spend all of my time running between 4 different towns that are at least 6 hours apart. When I’m in 3 of them I have heaps of time to read. And I listen to Audiobooks while driving between them.

I was once a voracious reader of sci-fi, fantasy and horror as well as some historical romance. I could read before I went to school and read constantly. Gave up reading for over 25 years except for what the kids brought home. Hubby and I used to read what they were reading so we could discuss it with them if necessary but nothing was ever censored in our house. So glad they had great taste in books.

Stephen Kings newie, Sleeping Beauties, caught my eye last October and I had to have it. So now I’m back devouring whatever I can from almost every genre. I went from no books in the house where I live properly to 2 very full bookcases of TBRs in 6 months. Slowly ploughing through them all.

Currently actively reading Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff and Beartown by Fredrik Backman. Listening to Cinder by Marissa Meyer in the car.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Heather from Chicago. I have fallen in love with fantasy later in life. Feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. Can’t wait to fall into these worlds and get lost for awhile...thanks Mark Lawrence for the invite

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie (acupofcyanide) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Katie. I'm an avid SFF reader. I lean more toward adult than YA, but I'll read both. I'm /u/cupofcyanide on Reddit. I also have a WordPress and YouTube channel where I post reviews and other book-related things.

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (midnightbluebookreview) | 4 comments Hello! I’m Cindy, I’m Belgian but live in the UK and Australia. I’m currently starting the last year of my PhD (genetics). I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember, mostly Fantasy and SciFi!
Once upon a time I was a book blogger and though I still try to review books, my PhD takes up all my writing time.

I’ve just finished Grey Sister by the fantastic Mark Lawrence (😉) and I’m reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.

message 35: by Janis (new)

Janis | 1 comments Hello to everyone! I'm Janis from Albuquerque. I used to read mostly sci-fi but several years ago, about the time I found Mark's books, I switched to more fantasy, especially of the style where everyone does not live happily ever after (if they live at all)! Great idea to start a group, Mark!

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) Hey hi! I'm Debbie and yes Mark I'm a fan of yours and actually most genres including non-fiction. A voracious reader, book blogger, library advocate an editorial book reviewer. In a nutshell a book nerd LOL

I've been od'ing on Brit-Lit lately just finished The Lost for Words Bookshop
And am listening to Upstate

It's good to be here!

message 37: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Hello everyone!

Thank you for the invitation, Mark. I try to read as much Fantasy and Science Fiction as I can. I enjoyed the Broken Empire series immensely. My fovorite authors might be R.A. Lafferty, Jack Vance, Margaret Atwood, Gene Wolfe, and Clark’s Ashton Smith among many others. I’m also an administrator and founder of East of Laughter and The Last Wizard which are book clubs on Facebook dedicated to the works of R.A Lafferty and Avram Davidson respectively. This can be great fun. Let’s read some short stories and a book!

All best,
David C.

message 38: by Kaavya (new)

Kaavya Karthikeyan (zahkriiven) | 1 comments Hey guys! Like the rest of us here, I'm also a huge fan of the science fiction and fantasy genres. I just finished working my way through the Vorkosigan saga. I love how darkly perfect your books are, Mark, and I can't wait every year for them to release. Thank you for the invite- I look forward to seeing how this goes!

message 39: by John (new)

John (jcf_88) | 1 comments Greetings, fellow humans! Is everyone enjoying respiring in a regular, rhythmic manner as we living beings all tend to?

I read mainly SF/F stuff. Currently reading, uh, looking around my room... third book in the Ravenor trilogy by Dan Abnett, Iron Gold by Pierce Brown, The Library at Mount Char, The Magos, The Drowning City by Amanda Downum, The Way of Kings, Vicious, Knight's Shadow, whatever book 2 of Riyria is called, The Tiger's Daughter, Six of Crows, the first Caine book, and also some other books but I'm tired of typing this out. A lot of that's for a very, very loose definition of "currently", mind. But I do intend to get back to all of it at some point.

message 40: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) Hi all!

I'm Christie, author of ANATOMY OF A DARKENED HEART and LOCKE AND KEYE and also a full-time editor. I write dark psychological fiction, heavily historical, but I read everything.

I first got into Mark's work with Prince of Thorns, and it was one of the first fantasy reads I truly enjoyed.

Nice to meet everyone, I'm excited to be here! Thanks for the invite, Mark!

message 41: by Guido (new)

Guido | 1 comments Hey everyone!

I'm Guido, and i'm from Uruguay. I love reading Fantasy and my hobbie is to investigate author's lives and ideas. I'm currently working as a software developer and i don't have much time to read.
Currently i'm trying to finish The Liar's Key by our boy Mark but life is hard right now.

Feel free to add me or talk to me. There is not a lot of people in my country that enjoys Fantasy.
Thanks for the invite!

message 42: by Charles (new)

Charles I'm hi and

message 43: by Joy (new)

Joy Cronje (joycronje) | 1 comments Hey everyone! Love this idea. Thanks @Mark

I’m an avid reader & a writer, although at the moment writing isn’t happening l & I’m reading sporadically. Got a newborn in the house, so I am momming big time.

message 44: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Hi, y'all! I'm Bren, but most everyone calls me BAM. I read just about everything. I get a lot of my fantasy from Netgalley. I also go for the epic series reads, but I take forever to finish as I hate that "the end" feeling. I just finished a couple of Lovecraft short stories and War of the Worlds as I'm going through a classics period.

message 45: by Charm (new)

Charm at Raptureinbooks (raptureinbooks) | 1 comments Hi all, thanks for the invite Mark!

I'm Alice and I've been reading fantasy for many years. I've had a blog for about 2 years now Raptureinbooks.com and I've recently taken up crochet!

Currently reading Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence and then I'll be on to Ocean Light by Nalini Singh and Ravencry by Ed McDonald

message 46: by John (new)

John McDermott | 14 comments Hello everyone, I'm John and thanks Mark for the invite.
I have never read Lord of the Rings !

message 47: by Mark (new)

Cindy wrote: "Hello! I’m Cindy, I’m Belgian but live in the UK and Australia. I’m currently starting the last year of my PhD (genetics). I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember, mostly Fantasy and..."

Now I know who to hit up with my DNA questions!

I've written 2 books recently with significant DNA testing content and it's happening again in the current one :o.

message 48: by Mark (new)

Jacqueline wrote: "Hi everyone 👋 Thanks for the invite Mark 😀

My name’s Jacqueline and I live in NSW Australia. I spend all of my time running between 4 different towns that are at least 6 hours apart. When I’m in 3..."

I keep seeing that Jay Kristoff's Nevernight has a lot in common with Red Sister. He seems to be doing well with it too.

message 49: by Mark (new)

Aiyume wrote: "Hi there!

Thanks for the invite :)

I'm from Croatia, and am 25 years old. I read mostly fantasy, but enjoy many of the other genres as well - the only things that matter are good ideas and at lea..."

I think one of the dangers of having strong prose is that it will often put off a certain number of readers. The real best sellers often have invisible prose and a very strong story.

So yes, The Vagrant didn't do as well for Peter as I'd hoped. Another book with strong but divisive prose is the recent The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Spark Smith.

message 50: by Mark (new)

Ivenn wrote: "Hey-hey! :) I am Niki from Hungary and I would like to thank Mark for inviting me into this cool little group! (Now I am feeling like being part of a secret sect or something. :D)

Just like many o..."

You might consider Snorri Kristjansson for the Norse addiction!

« previous 1 3 4 5