Start by marking “The Singularity Trap” as Want to Read:
The Singularity Trap

The Singularity Trap

After scrimping and saving for two years, Ivan Pritchard lands a berth with the mining ship Mad Astra. His one share buys him six months of searching the asteroid belt for that elusive cache of metals that could make the entire crew wealthy, and allow Ivan to pull his family out of the depths of poverty.

While investigating a promising asteroid, Ivan triggers an extraterres
Audible Audio, 12 pages
Published June 5th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Singularity Trap, please sign up.
Bob Cottingham As Charlene-o says below, June 5, 2018, however, he also says it will be an Audible.com exclusive for 4 months.

Start your review of The Singularity Trap
Jane
2.5 very meh stars for the Audible version narrated by Ray Porter.

This was just very meh for me and it's partly my own darn fault that I didn't like this. I must not have read the description fully, because I thought I was going to be listening to the adventures of a space miner and I anticipated something more fun.

Instead, this is more a thinly-veiled introspective and moralistic look at how a possible interaction with an intergalactic species might occur; it repeatedly reminded me of some of
Trish
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this purely because I liked the author's other books so much. However, I was actually shocked to feel so different about this one compared to the Bobiverse series.

We follow Ivan, the MC, who is a miner in financial trouble. Humanity has managed to not stop global warming. On the contrary: many coastal places such as Florida are gone due to melted ice caps. More than ever, if you're not born into a rich family, you are at a serious disadvantage (death definitely being an option). So he buy
Bradley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where the Bobbiverse novels relied on an equal mix of pop-culture nerdiness and solid SF idea exploration in the realm of a self-replicating AI who is still effectively "human", The Singularity Trap jumps on some of the same solid SF ideas and plotting but does it without most of the humor.

I can only assume this might piss off a few fans of the other books, but not me. It just proves that Taylor has the grit to back up his SF idea exploration with nothing more than good characterizations, big te
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I expected so much more. So, so much more ☹️

Preordered the book as soon as I heard about it (Thank you, Jane! ❤️) and set a very high expectation bar. After all, Dennis is the guy who brought us Bobiverse series. How could I not?

As it turns out, I shouldn't have.

⚠️ Warning ⚠️
⛔️ Do not read this if you haven't read the book yet, but want to. This review is full of spoilers! I'm just so pissed off right now that I don't feel like using spoiler tags. Read on at your own peril ⛔️

On the other hand, t
Lindsay
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fast-improving SF author revisits many of the themes of his Bobiverse series in this entertaining hardish-SF novel that's a clear leveling up of characterization and story-telling with less sarcastic humor and pop=culture references.

The asteroid mining ship the Mad Astra is on a hard luck streak when it finds the strike of a lifetime. However, that break comes with a sting when one of crew members, IT guy Ivan Pritchard encounters a bizarre substance that attaches itself to the arm of his sp
Char
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars, rounded up.

I loved the Bobiverse books and thought I'd try this one which is by the same author and has the same audio narrator. I thought this story interesting though there seemed to be a couple of big holes in the story-mostly regarding the political situation and governmental administration in the U.S.

Nevertheless, this was an interesting tale with a few Sci-Fi and Star Trek references which I enjoyed. I did miss the sense of humor I found in the Bob books, but this story didn
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/07/...

After completing his Bobiverse trilogy, Dennis E. Taylor tries his hand at something a little deeper and more serious in The Singularity Trap. Despite the slight drop in humorous moments and the pacing being a little uneven in places, it was still a very entertaining read complete with an old-school sci-fi feel and plenty of nods to hard science.

The story begins on the mining ship Mad Astra where readers are introduced to
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Forgive my absence of late. I’m doing my masters and unfortunately this means that my reading time now consists of reading research reports and text books instead of fiction. And there is another 2.5 years of this! Thankfully with travelling to and from work, and lots of cleaning up to do with two young kids, there is plenty of time for audio books!

This was the first Dennis E. Taylor book I have encountered. It was a lot of fun. I will pretty much listen to anything that Ray Porter narrates so I
Karen’s Library
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The dynamic duo of Dennis E. Taylor and Ray Porter have done it again! This author and narrator team have once again created an incredible sci-fi story that was extremely unique, and so much fun to listen to.

Ivan is a newbie space asteroid miner who touches a rock that squirts a liquid onto his arm. Turns out the asteroid is an alien booby trap which has been waiting around for eons to catch some poor species unawares. Ivan begins to turn into metal little by little and eventually he discovers t
Rob
Executive Summary: A slow start, but a strong finish. Not as fun as his Bobiverse books, but still pretty enjoyable. 3.5 Stars.

Audiobook: Ray Porter once again does a good job. Even though this isn't a Bobiverse book, it feels as though it could be, and that may partially be due to the same narrator returning. He does a few accents and generally is just the type of narrator that adds to the book.

Full Review
There were some similar themes and ideas in this book. Our protagonist is a Software
Mike Pluta
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The team of Dennis E. Taylor and Ray Porter have again delivered audiobook gold!

The Singularity Trap, penned by Taylor and voiced by Porter is a new hard sci-fi Audible exclusive release. The story incorperates first contact, nanotechnology, military conspiracies, interstellar conflict and more all wrapped in the warm quilt of Taylor-Porter fun and frivolity.

I've been patiently waiting for this release and have not been disappointed.

I wish I could give this five stars squared!
Edward
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. After all, it had everything going for it. Written by Dennis E. Taylor, who has recently finished what has become one of my all-time favorites series with his “Bobiverse” trilogy. As I almost always consume my books by audio anymore, Ray Porter returning to narrate was also another element strongly in favor of this new book.
Let’s get some positives out of the way, for there are several. As stated, Ray Porter once again brings an A game to the narration with
Jason
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Singularity Trap – Dennis Taylor
There is no doubting that Dennis Taylor is an incredibly gifted writer. On the back of the ‘Bobiverse’ series, comes ‘The Singularity Trap’. This had some very high expectations, and for me, I wasn’t disappointed.
The story follows Ivan, a young man who like many people in this Universe, is desperate for work. The world is not in a particularly good way, with tides rising, land shrinking, high unemployment etc. Ivan is married and has a family to support, and
Rose
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was written by the same guy who wrote We Are Legion (We Are Bob) and I think I may even like this better. No, I definitely like it better. Taylor has some big sci-fi ideas and he’s really good at building a story and characters around them. For anyone who didn’t care for all the humour in WAL, you’ll probably like this better because, well, no Bob.

Who we do have is Ivan. He’s taken a job as a miner on a spaceship headed out to find an asteroid hopefully loaded with enough ore to sell so the
Jean
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Taylor’s Bobverse Series so grabbed this book when I saw it. The book has the same tone to it as Bobverse with a similar type of humor. I could read this book just as a fun sci-fi story, or I could ponder the philosophical/moral issues Taylor presents. There are several moral and philosophical questions the author presents: one of them being the “prisoner dilemma”. The ending of the book is interesting. Looking for a good sci-fi story for the summer? Try this one.

I read this as an audi
Lyonardo
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book made me think of a place I worked where every Monday people asked "how was your weekend". There was a guy who always had the greatest stories. Even people who didn't know him would stop and get caught up. But honestly, not much ever really happened during those weekends. Just regular daily life. The dog went to the vet, friends over for dinner, whatever. But something about the guy's stories were fascinating. People would ask for updates about the dog. Everyone was invested.

Now there w
Bram
I loved every bit of the Bobbiverse books so when I saw Dennis E. Taylor had a new book out, I didn't hesitate to click the Pre-order button. I knew I had to keep my expectations in check and I knew I wasn't getting another rehash of the Bob books, but I still turned out to be dissapointed with this one.

Story

I usually try not to read the blurb, because often times they contain more spoilers than I care for, so I just got into this book and started listening. About 15% in, I was quite confused ab
Ioana
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: body-sharing
I really enjoy this combination of author and narrator. The use of sound effects is just enough to create atmosphere, without being distracting and it was a very pleasant surprise to realize that Ray Porter is pretty good at female voices (which he didn't really have a chance to show off in the Bobbieverse series).
I don't think I can talk about this book without comparing it to the Bobbieverse, so I'll apologize in advance.
The humor is more subtle and this feels like a more serious book, thoug
Miles
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3☆ good but not great
David
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I just wanted more bobiverse.
Suz
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, scifi
Taylor is a very good story teller, and you can tell he loves his genre.

I hope he writes more in this world. I like the way he ended this, with a lot of potential for future stories with the MC.
William Middleton
Of the last 10 books I have read this year, the Singularity Trap is easily the best. It is star trekky in the best sense and creates a great sense of empathy for the hero.
Simon
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Classic Sci-fi with a Modern Twist

Dennis E Taylor has done it again it seems as this is another high quality production from him very ably voiced by Ray Porter. The storyline has a lot of the hallmarks of classic sci-fi. In fact I'd say it's perhaps "harder" sci-fi than his popular Bobiverse series. A development of his style rather than a flat continuation.

It is still however imbued with Taylor's subtle humour at times and his patient and careful characterisation. It is also once again a fairl
Clyde
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK, I am now an official Dennis E. Taylor fan. TST has a very different feel from his Bobverse books, but is just as good. As I have come to expect from Taylor, we get lots of nerdy goodness.
This book gives us some interesting characters trying to do their best in a very strange situation. None of them are bad guys really, just people making the best decisions they can with limited information.
With a twisty plot, some space action, and life-or-death decisions for the human race, what's not to li
Alfred
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I scored this one low, but it might be because my expectations of this book were not aligned with what it set out to deliver? What happened over the course of the entire story, I was hoping to be Act I of three or book one of a trilogy. The characters were pretty forgettable, too. I would personally skip this one, especially if you liked the Bobiverse books. ...more
James
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Another great novel by Dennis E. Taylor, blending science fiction based on plausible technological and socio-economic evolution with strong, character-driven fiction. I listened to the Audible version read by Ray Porter, who really brings Taylor’s novels to life. I highly recommend this book.
Crystal
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you love sci-fi then give this book a read. It is a story driven plot, based in a world where humanity encounters extra terrestrial tech for the first time. Ivan's life is forever changed when on a mining operation he interacts with the tech. How does humanity react when face will undeniable proof that they are not alone? In this book humanity must figure out a way to out smart a computer or find a third option with their backs against a wall.

I enjoyed the Firefly, Star Trek and other sci-fi
Karsyn
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with great characters. Engaging from start to finish, even when there was stuff going on that I thought it would make it more dull, it kept right on chugging and kept my interest. So very enjoyable and fun.

Highly recommended for sci-fi fans, fans of alien tech and A.I. stories.

Great narrating as well.
Jen
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this was about as heartbreaking as it was entertaining. A guy makes an innocent mistake and essentially loses his life in the process. Curiosity killed the cat, as it were. Taylor is good at twisting and turning a plot and he does it very well here. Interesting characters, just enough alien stuff to satisfy us. And of course Ray Porter makes it excellent.
Kacy❁
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dennis Taylor does it again. For some reason he just creates such an awesome sci fi world that I find myself getting lost in it every single time. Ray Porter is also one of the best audible narrators I have had the pleasure of listening to.
Dadbods Gaming: The Singularity Trap Discussion. 5 8 Dec 28, 2018 11:39PM

• Level Five
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force Book 8)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Infinite
  • Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force, #9)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Out of Spite, Out of Mind (Magic 2.0 #5)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Deathtrap (Mavericks, #1)
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
I am a retired computer programmer, an enthusiastic snowboarder, and an inveterate science fiction reader.

And, apparently, an author now. Did not see that coming.