Start by marking “The Singularity Trap” as Want to Read:
The Singularity Trap

The Singularity Trap

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,503 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
After scrimping and saving for two years, Ivan Pritchard lands a berth with the mining ship Mad Astra. His one share buys him six months of searching the asteroid belt for that elusive cache of metals that could make the entire crew wealthy, and allow Ivan to pull his family out of the depths of poverty.

While investigating a promising asteroid, Ivan triggers an extraterres
Audible Audio, 12 pages
Published June 5th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about The Singularity Trap, please sign up.
Bob Cottingham As Charlene-o says below, June 5, 2018, however, he also says it will be an Audible.com exclusive for 4 months.
…more

Trish
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this purely because I liked the author's other books so much. However, I was actually shocked to feel so different about this one compared to the Bobiverse series.

We follow Ivan, the MC, who is a miner in financial trouble. Humanity has managed to not stop global warming. On the contrary: many coastal places such as Florida are gone due to melted ice caps. More than ever, if you're not born into a rich family, you are at a serious disadvantage (death definitely being an option). So he buy
Jane
2.5 very meh stars for the Audible version narrated by Ray Porter.

This was just very meh for me and it's partly my own darn fault that I didn't like this. I must not have read the description fully, because I thought I was going to be listening to the adventures of a space miner and I anticipated something more fun.

Instead, this is more a thinly-veiled introspective and moralistic look at how a possible interaction with an intergalactic species might occur; it repeatedly reminded me of some of
Bradley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where the Bobbiverse novels relied on an equal mix of pop-culture nerdiness and solid SF idea exploration in the realm of a self-replicating AI who is still effectively "human", The Singularity Trap jumps on some of the same solid SF ideas and plotting but does it without most of the humor.

I can only assume this might piss off a few fans of the other books, but not me. It just proves that Taylor has the grit to back up his SF idea exploration with nothing more than good characterizations, big te
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I expected so much more. So, so much more ☹

Preordered the book as soon as I heard about it (Thank you, Jane! ❤) and set a very high expectation bar. After all, Dennis is the guy who brought us Bobiverse series. How could I not?

As it turns out, I shouldn't have.

⚠ Warning ⚠
⛔ Do not read this if you haven't read the book yet, but want to. This review is full of spoilers! I'm just so pissed off right now that I don't feel like using spoiler tags. Read on at your own peril ⛔

On the other hand, there i
Lindsay
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fast-improving SF author revisits many of the themes of his Bobiverse series in this entertaining hardish-SF novel that's a clear leveling up of characterization and story-telling with less sarcastic humor and pop=culture references.

The asteroid mining ship the Mad Astra is on a hard luck streak when it finds the strike of a lifetime. However, that break comes with a sting when one of crew members, IT guy Ivan Pritchard encounters a bizarre substance that attaches itself to the arm of his sp
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/07/07/...

After completing his Bobiverse trilogy, Dennis E. Taylor tries his hand at something a little deeper and more serious in The Singularity Trap. Despite the slight drop in humorous moments and the pacing being a little uneven in places, it was still a very entertaining read complete with an old-school sci-fi feel and plenty of nods to hard science.

The story begins on the mining ship Mad Astra where readers are introduced to
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Forgive my absence of late. I’m doing my masters and unfortunately this means that my reading time now consists of reading research reports and text books instead of fiction. And there is another 2.5 years of this! Thankfully with travelling to and from work, and lots of cleaning up to do with two young kids, there is plenty of time for audio books!

This was the first Dennis E. Taylor book I have encountered. It was a lot of fun. I will pretty much listen to anything that Ray Porter narrates so I
Karen’s Library
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The dynamic duo of Dennis E. Taylor and Ray Porter have done it again! This author and narrator team have once again created an incredible sci-fi story that was extremely unique, and so much fun to listen to.

Ivan is a newbie space asteroid miner who touches a rock that squirts a liquid onto his arm. Turns out the asteroid is an alien booby trap which has been waiting around for eons to catch some poor species unawares. Ivan begins to turn into metal little by little and eventually he discovers t
Mike Pluta
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The team of Dennis E. Taylor and Ray Porter have again delivered audiobook gold!

The Singularity Trap, penned by Taylor and voiced by Porter is a new hard sci-fi Audible exclusive release. The story incorperates first contact, nanotechnology, military conspiracies, interstellar conflict and more all wrapped in the warm quilt of Taylor-Porter fun and frivolity.

I've been patiently waiting for this release and have not been disappointed.

I wish I could give this five stars squared!
Edward
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. After all, it had everything going for it. Written by Dennis E. Taylor, who has recently finished what has become one of my all-time favorites series with his “Bobiverse” trilogy. As I almost always consume my books by audio anymore, Ray Porter returning to narrate was also another element strongly in favor of this new book.
Let’s get some positives out of the way, for there are several. As stated, Ray Porter once again brings an A game to the narration with
Jason
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Singularity Trap – Dennis Taylor
There is no doubting that Dennis Taylor is an incredibly gifted writer. On the back of the ‘Bobiverse’ series, comes ‘The Singularity Trap’. This had some very high expectations, and for me, I wasn’t disappointed.
The story follows Ivan, a young man who like many people in this Universe, is desperate for work. The world is not in a particularly good way, with tides rising, land shrinking, high unemployment etc. Ivan is married and has a family to support, and
Ioana
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this combination of author and narrator. The use of sound effects is just enough to create atmosphere, without being distracting and it was a very pleasant surprise to realize that Ray Porter is pretty good at female voices (which he didn't really have a chance to show off in the Bobbieverse series).
I don't think I can talk about this book without comparing it to the Bobbieverse, so I'll apologize in advance.
The humor is more subtle and this feels like a more serious book, thoug
Jean
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Taylor’s Bobverse Series so grabbed this book when I saw it. The book has the same tone to it as Bobverse with a similar type of humor. I could read this book just as a fun sci-fi story, or I could ponder the philosophical/moral issues Taylor presents. There are several moral and philosophical questions the author presents: one of them being the “prisoner dilemma”. The ending of the book is interesting. Looking for a good sci-fi story for the summer? Try this one.

I read this as an audi
Bram
I loved every bit of the Bobbiverse books so when I saw Dennis E. Taylor had a new book out, I didn't hesitate to click the Pre-order button. I knew I had to keep my expectations in check and I knew I wasn't getting another rehash of the Bob books, but I still turned out to be dissapointed with this one.

Story

I usually try not to read the blurb, because often times they contain more spoilers than I care for, so I just got into this book and started listening. About 15% in, I was quite confused ab
Simon
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Classic Sci-fi with a Modern Twist

Dennis E Taylor has done it again it seems as this is another high quality production from him very ably voiced by Ray Porter. The storyline has a lot of the hallmarks of classic sci-fi. In fact I'd say it's perhaps "harder" sci-fi than his popular Bobiverse series. A development of his style rather than a flat continuation.

It is still however imbued with Taylor's subtle humour at times and his patient and careful characterisation. It is also once again a fairl
Suz
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, scifi
Taylor is a very good story teller, and you can tell he loves his genre.

I hope he writes more in this world. I like the way he ended this, with a lot of potential for future stories with the MC.
Crystal
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you love sci-fi then give this book a read. It is a story driven plot, based in a world where humanity encounters extra terrestrial tech for the first time. Ivan's life is forever changed when on a mining operation he interacts with the tech. How does humanity react when face will undeniable proof that they are not alone? In this book humanity must figure out a way to out smart a computer or find a third option with their backs against a wall.

I enjoyed the Firefly, Star Trek and other sci-fi
Alfred
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I scored this one low, but it might be because my expectations of this book were not aligned with what it set out to deliver? What happened over the course of the entire story, I was hoping to be Act I of three or book one of a trilogy. The characters were pretty forgettable, too. I would personally skip this one, especially if you liked the Bobiverse books.
Clyde
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
OK, I am now an official Dennis E. Taylor fan. TST has a very different feel from his Bobverse books, but is just as good. As I have come to expect from Taylor, we get lots of nerdy goodness.
This book gives us some interesting characters trying to do their best in a very strange situation. None of them are bad guys really, just people making the best decisions they can with limited information.
With a twisty plot, some space action, and life-or-death decisions for the human race, what's not to li
Kacy❁
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dennis Taylor does it again. For some reason he just creates such an awesome sci fi world that I find myself getting lost in it every single time. Ray Porter is also one of the best audible narrators I have had the pleasure of listening to.
Steffan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
3/5 stars
Miles
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3☆ good but not great
Matthew
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars Pretty good. The authors writing style is very unique in my opinion. He wrote two completely different books, with very similar sci-fy tech, oh and the same audible editor. The entire time I was thinking how this and the bobiverse could take place in the same theoretical universe but I never felt I was reading a copy of the first. Maybe it is because this one had way less pop culture references.

Ps: go give Patrick rothfus and r.r Martin a lesson on how to finish a book so fast
Cmoore
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-2018-books
What an amazing and awesome audio book! Dennis E Taylor weaves truly believable characters into great story telling, then mixes it up with science and sets the story into what I believe would be an attainable future, making Singularity Trap so mesmerizing that I found it to be near impossible to push the STOP button!
With Ray Porter's fantastic narration, this audio book just can't be beat! In the story one of the talking heads (a newsie) on the 'vid' sounded like Ted Koppel and another of the c
Lyonardo
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book made me think of a place I worked where every Monday people asked "how was your weekend". There was a guy who always had the greatest stories. Even people who didn't know him would stop and get caught up. But honestly, not much ever really happened during those weekends. Just regular daily life. The dog went to the vet, friends over for dinner, whatever. But something about the guy's stories were fascinating. People would ask for updates about the dog. Everyone was invested.

Now there w
Vince
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. It helps quench that Bobiverse thirst when you realize "The Makers" are probably just Bobs.
Scott Foshee
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Charles Ofria
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dennis Taylor certainly is typecasting himself as a writer, but he's good at it so I'm not going to complain. This book presents an interesting perspective on alien life, artificial intelligence, game theory and what it means to be alive. These are all topics I'm quite interested in, and I was happy to see how well he handled them. The book is certainly well researched and thought provoking, even if I didn't agree with all aspects of it.

Don't read this if you're looking for lots of action; there
Keith
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The Singularity Trap is getting some pretty awesome reviews. However, I'm going to go against the grain a bit by suggesting Taylor still has a lot to work on from a writing perspective. He is a fantastic story teller with an outstanding imagination, but his writing still has that awkward self published feel to it. I loved the Bobiverse series, in large part do to the unique nature of the plot, and the constant humour. The Bobiverse story line was enough to overcome the shortcomings in the writin ...more
Scott Perdue
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was really disappointing. Dennis E. Taylor's previous series, the Bobiverse, is my favorite of the past few years. If you haven't read "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)," I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Singularity Trap, on the other hand... I'd recommend skipping it. It's not particularly original, borrowing heavily from the Bobiverse.

Overall, it's not completely terrible, but I'd suggest you temper your expectations if you're a big fan of the Bobiverse.
I am a retired computer programmer, an enthusiastic snowboarder, and an inveterate science fiction reader.

And, apparently, an author now. Did not see that coming.