What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. It's a Fable or a folktale

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 6 comments So the story starts with two travellers who meet. One is called Friend and the other is called Foe. They decide to share Friend's supplies frirst and then use Foe's once it runs out. But when Friend's supplies run out, Foe leaves him saying that choosing to trust him was stupid. Friend seeks refuge in an old abandoned windmill. He is hiding behind a rock when a lion,a fox, a wolf and one other animal comes in. Friend overhears there conversation, in which they share secrets. One of the animals say that on the roof of the windmill there are mice that have gold coins. One of the others say that in a far off kingdom there is a princess with an illness that the king would reward the person that can cure it with the princess's hand. The other animal says that the cure to that princess's illness is a farmer's herb found not far off. Then they leave. Friend uses all this information to his advantage. He takes the mice's gold coins, trades them for the farmer's herbs and cures the princess and becomes a wealthy prince. Not long after, Foe hears of this and asks Friend how he did it. Friend tell Foe of the animal's secrets. So Foe goes to the windmill and waits for the animals. When they arrive, they realise that someone must have heard their secrets and they search the mill. Finding Foe, they eat him.

This is all the information I remember. I hope that its enough. Please help, I can't find it anywhere.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Was this a full-length novel or a picture book? Was it for adults or children?

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 6 comments It was a children’s book. I think it may have been a translated to English book too.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments I think I read this too as variation of "The Two Travelers: Truth and Falsehood" - the Georgian version - https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0613.html

Around what year did you read it? Was it picture book (20-30 pages) with only this tale or in collection of fables/folktales?

Duplicate: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 6 comments I remember that the book was a book of fables and this was one of the folktales in it. Another folktale I remember that was in the book was “The Greedy Crow”

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments And you read it when?

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 6 comments It was a really old book, that I found in an old library, it had probably been sitting there for at least a decade

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments You can try searching worldcat.org: http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch if you haven't already. If you have read it in, say, 2004, you can use that to limit results in "Return only items published from ... to ..."

"Tell us what year you read or heard about the book. A range of years is fine. " is the 3rd guideline on the group's homepage. I see it as pop-up on every comment box I'm typing in, too. I also asked about it twice, I'm stopping now :)

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 6 comments Yes I’m sorry I can’t provide a year. I think it is a variation of that story. I think we can close this as solved