Dare to Dream discussion

Seasonal Reading Challenges > SUMMER 2018 READING CHALLENGE

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:15PM) (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Please post all questions, comments and updates regarding the summer 2018 challenge in this thread. :)

The Summer 2018 Reading Challenge starts June 15th and ends August 31, 2018.

Rules of the challenge:

Read 3 books (or more)
Complete 3 tasks (or more)
Any genre ok
Rereads ok

So this summer, complete 3 (or more) of the following:

1. I always like to include an author task and generally post some authors who celebrate their birthdays during that particular season. These authors don’t share their birthdays so let’s assume they celebrate during the summer, lol. Anyway read one of the following:

a. JESMYN WARD
b. RUTH WARE
c. KATE MORTON

2. June 8th is Ghostbusters Day-Who you gonna call? :)

So this summer:

READ A BOOK WITH THE WORD “GHOST” IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

3. Ocean’s 8 is in theaters on June 8th.

So this summer:

READ A HEIST NOVEL.

4. When I think of classic summer movies, one film will always top the list, and that’s Jaws.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK IN WHICH AN ANIMAL(S)
GOES ROGUE (and targets people).

5. World Refugee Day is June 20th.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER WHO IS A REFUGEE.

6. Stop on Red Week is August 5th - 11th. Its purpose is to remind people to drive safely and not run red lights.

So this summer:

READ A BOOK WITH THE LETTERS R-E-D
IN THE TITLE/SUBTITLE.

7. Random task. This task counts towards the challenge but is not inspired by the season.

I posted the first challenge in the summer of 2012 and while some have come and gone and others join us for a season, the D2D original six pack are Christine, Danell, Dustin, Jenn, Josh and myself. Thank you all for continuing to do the challenges with me. You guys rock. :)

So this summer:

READ A BOOK THAT FEATURES A CHARACTER OR IS WRITTEN BY AN AUTHOR THAT SHARES THE SAME NAME AS SOMEONE IN THE GROUP.

HAPPY SUMMER, EVERYONE! :D

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2610 comments Mod
Thank you Rachel :-) I will be visiting family for Father's Day Weekend but will hopefully be able to focus more on this Summer Reading Challenge next week.

I've been really busy since I switched jobs. I've been working 7 days a week, but hope to cut back a bit at the movie theater by July & hopefully more time for literature again.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Thank you Rachel :-) I will be visiting family for Father's Day Weekend but will hopefully be able to focus more on this Summer Reading Challenge next week.

I've been really busy since I switched ..."

You’re welcome, Dustin. Enjoy your weekend with the family. :)

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments Woohoo! Another challenge! I love them. Thank you, Rachel!!!!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments P.S. You rock too!!!!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Christine wrote: "Woohoo! Another challenge! I love them. Thank you, Rachel!!!!"

You’re welcome, Christine. :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Christine wrote: "P.S. You rock too!!!!"

:D

message 8: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments A new reading challenge! Yippee!! Grateful to have the day off so I can go to the library.
Happy reading!!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Danell wrote: "A new reading challenge! Yippee!! Grateful to have the day off so I can go to the library.
Happy reading!!"

Enjoy your day off! Happy reading! :D

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Finished Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta

Works for tasks 6 & 7

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments So it seems like everyone is busy, busy so far this summer. I haven't read anything for the challenge yet but I plan on starting something soon.

Hey Dustin.......I was just in your neck of the woods, Colorado! Down in Colorado Springs. I went to the top of Pikes Peak for the first time. Its like being on top of the world!

I hope all of you are doing well, enjoying summer and reading lots of books!

message 12: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Let me know when you make it to Boulder, Christine :-)

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments Its officially summer! I have read the first book for the challenge and the temps have finally got into the 80s in the NW. I read the last book in the Hatching series, Zero Day. Spiders go rogue in this one, it literally made my skin crawl, lol. I love reading horror in the summer.

What types of books do you all like to read in summer?

message 14: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments I have no particular genre of books I read in the summer, just having a difficult time lately with books holding my interest. I tried to read “Radium Girls” and “The Hate U Give” but part way through each of them I quit.
Due to the pain in my hands I have been using my Nook more. My son and the librarian helped so I can download different books. Hopefully this will get me out of the slump I’m in again.
Love the effect reading a good book has on a person. Christine you are brave, I think I would have tried to flush the book or put it outside, which is my defense against spiders! Yuck!!!
Hope everyone is having a safe and fun summer!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Christine wrote: "Its officially summer! I have read the first book for the challenge and the temps have finally got into the 80s in the NW. I read the last book in the Hatching series, Zero Day. Spi..."

Thanks for the update, Christine! :)

The only time I read a particular genre is during the fall when I want to read creepy books . Part of me really wants to read those spider books and part of me is scared shitless to read them lol ( I really hate bugs).

It sounds like you’re having beautiful weather-it has been really hot and humid here. I’m glad it’s summer though.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Danell wrote: "I have no particular genre of books I read in the summer, just having a difficult time lately with books holding my interest. I tried to read “Radium Girls” and “The Hate U Give” but part way throu..."

Hope your hands feel better soon, Danell. It sucks to be in pain.
Hope you find a good book!

message 17: by Rachel (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:05PM) (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments I know you didn’t ask for any recommendations so feel free to ignore this list lol but I noticed some of my favorites are on your to read list that I thought you might enjoy.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

message 18: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments Thank you!!
Thank you!!
Thank you!!

I’m going to see if I can get one of these in ebook from the library.
Arthritis sucks!!

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments You’re welcome :)

message 20: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments I have to say that the first book in the trilogy was the worst as far as the creepy crawlies go. My hair would brush against my arm and I would start freaking out. The Hatching Trilogy was entertaining and if you like horror, I recommend them.

Its over 90 degrees today, that makes it too hot but thankfully we have air conditioning.

Danell, I hope you get some relief from arthritis pain. No fun having it in your hands. It affects everything you do!

message 21: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments Not only my hands, but my hips, knees, elbow and shoulder hurts. I’m hoping the medication the dr put me one will start working.
Oh well, such is life and I know it could always be worse.

I finished Wonder, and have a book on hold that you recommended Rachel, thank you. Wonder stirred something in me and I hope this momentum carries onto a reading binge!!

Thank you for being my friends!!

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Danell wrote: "Not only my hands, but my hips, knees, elbow and shoulder hurts. I’m hoping the medication the dr put me one will start working.
Oh well, such is life and I know it could always be worse.

I finis..."

I hope the medicine works and you get some relief- hugs!

Glad you enjoyed Wonder (Wonder, #1) by R.J. Palacio -I loved that book too.

Hope you enjoy the book from the library! :)

Thanks for being my friend! :)

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Now the golden girls theme song is in my head lol :D

message 24: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments Golden Girls was a great show!

Potato peel society, next one in line for it from the library.

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments Did I see they are making the Potato Peel Society into a movie? I loved that book.

message 26: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments I think they are.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments They did make a movie. It was released in theaters in some countries but I read Netflix bought the us rights and will release it later this year.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments I want to see that one!

Any of the Stephen King fans going to watch Castle Rock on Hulu?

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Christine wrote: "I want to see that one!

Any of the Stephen King fans going to watch Castle Rock on Hulu?"

I probably will check it out-are you going to watch it?

message 30: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments Unfortunately I don’t have Hulu. Heard the show was wonderful though. I have yet to read “Sleeping Beauties “ or “Outsider”

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments I don't have a Hulu account but I think I am going to get one. I want to watch the second season of Handmaid's Tale and now Castle Rock. I'll just have to buy less coffee drinks during the month to pay for it, lol.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments I don’t have a Hulu account either but also thinking about it. They have a lot of free trials so may give it a try. It seems like everything is on Netflix or Hulu these days.

message 33: by Josh (last edited Aug 05, 2018 05:01PM) (new)

Josh Barnett (joshyboy98311) | 366 comments Hey everyone! I haven't done a challenge for a while. Mainly cause i haven't been finishing much that I have even started reading. I've finished a few books this week and also fully read a few books as well. Anyways, I read Jurassic World: The Evolution of Claire by Tess Sharpe it matches Challenge #4 since a dinosaur attacks humans. If you are a fan of the character of Claire Dearing from the Jurassic World movies, I would highly recommend you read Evolution of Claire. It explores 11 years before Jurassic World takes place.

I am about to start Zom-B Underground by Darren Shan It matches challenge #6 with having RED in the title... backwards. lol.

Anyways, another reason I haven't been active on Goodreads is because I loathed using my computer so if I couldnt pull it up on my phone, I didn't use it, and the book groups on here suffered because of it sadly. I got a new one now so I dont have anything to worry about now.

4) The Evolution of Claire (Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom #1) by Tess Sharpe

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Josh wrote: "Hey everyone! I haven't done a challenge for a while. Mainly cause i haven't been finishing much that I have even started reading. I've finished a few books this week and also fully read a few book..."

Thanks for the update, Josh! So good to see you post again! :)

P.S. I edited the random task- welcome back. :)

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Hey everyone! It’s been really quiet in this thread this season. I know life gets crazy and we all have reading slumps from time to time ( I’m in a bit of a reading slump myself at the moment).

Anyway just checking in to see if there is interest in a fall challenge. The summer challenge doesn’t end until the end of the month so let me know.

Either way I’ve really enjoyed being a member of this group and as mentioned previously you guys rock! :)

Hope all is well with all of you. :)

message 36: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Josh wrote: "Hey everyone! I haven't done a challenge for a while. Mainly cause i haven't been finishing much that I have even started reading. I've finished a few books this week and also fully read a few book..."

Greetings Josh! We've been wondering about you. Hope you'll be able to join us more often now :-)

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Rachel wrote: "Hey everyone! It’s been really quiet in this thread this season. I know life gets crazy and we all have reading slumps from time to time ( I’m in a bit of a reading slump myself at the moment).

An..."

Thanks Rachel :-) Yes. I'm interested in Fall.

I probably will not get anything done as far as Summer. I had to switch jobs in April, taking a pay cut and having to work 2 jobs = 8 shifts a week. I am slowly cutting back my work schedule so I can get back to enjoying my reading and hiking activities again.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Hey everyone! It’s been really quiet in this thread this season. I know life gets crazy and we all have reading slumps from time to time ( I’m in a bit of a reading slump myself at t..."

Thanks for letting me know about the fall challenge. :)
Hope this new job is less stressful like you hoped even if it is more hours. Also hope you will have more time to relax a in the future when you’re able to cut back your hours.
Great to see you post. :)

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Have you seen anything good at the theater?

message 40: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yes. Most definitely on all accounts 💞🦋🍃 My new job is everything I wanted. Unfortunately, the starting pay was the only drawback and I've had to work weekends at the movie theater. 🦉 I have already received one raise in pay at my 60 day review and I was awarded a bonus last week for being Employee of the Quarter. 🙃 I watching things very closely and soon plan to work at the movie theater just one shift each week and still retain my unlimited free movies. I have already cut back from 3 to 2 shifts per week. 🎬 As far as movies I've enjoyed since working at the theater this year, I would recommend the following:The Rider, Leave No Trace, Won't you be my neighbor?, RBG, Three Identical Strangers, Eighth Grade, Blindspotting

message 41: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments First off, yes, Rachel, I am interested in a fall challenge. I love them and they get me reading the books on my shelves rather than picking up new stuff.

Hi Josh, I'm glad to see you back!

Dustin, thanks for the movie recommendations.

For Ann Patchett fans, they are making a movie of Bel Canto, one of my all time favorite books. I am so excited. I just saw the trailer.

For crafty people, watch Making It on NBC! Its fun, just like the British Bake Off but for crafts.

I haven't been reading much but its been a fun summer, lots of fun trips, time with family and friends, hanging out with my art group and working on lots of projects. I'm dreading the end of warm temps and the gray skies.

message 42: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments I’m interested in a fall reading challenge. Still struggling with a reading slump, hopefully I will be out of it soon. My mother in law passed away and I have my husbands upcoming back surgery, he will be fused from T9 to his hips. Just stressed.
Hope everyone is having a great summer

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments I am sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to your family.

The books and your friends at D2D will be here for you when you can get back to us. Hugs to you.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Yes. Most definitely on all accounts 💞🦋🍃 My new job is everything I wanted. Unfortunately, the starting pay was the only drawback and I've had to work weekends at the movie theater. 🦉 I have alread..."

So happy things are going well! Congrats! :)
Thanks for the movie recommendations. :)

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Christine wrote: "First off, yes, Rachel, I am interested in a fall challenge. I love them and they get me reading the books on my shelves rather than picking up new stuff.

Hi Josh, I'm glad to see you back!

Dust..."

Sounds like you’re having a wonderful summer, Christine :)
I really need to read Bel Canto.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Danell wrote: "I’m interested in a fall reading challenge. Still struggling with a reading slump, hopefully I will be out of it soon. My mother in law passed away and I have my husbands upcoming back surgery, he ..."

So sorry for your loss, Danell. Hope your husband’s surgery goes well. Sending hugs, prayers and just good vibes your way.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Thank you all for getting back to me about the fall challenge. It will be posted in September. :)

message 48: by Danell (new)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 506 comments Thank you friends for understanding. Trying to read a few different books but nothing is holding my interest. Thinking of rereading a few of my favorites. Hoping to break this slump soon. Husband will be in the hospital for 5 to possibly 6 days and although I will be focusing on him I need a literary distraction. I will be staying in the hospital with him, we live 6 hrs away.

Thank you for listening and being the amazing group of friends you are!

message 49: by Christine (new)

Christine | 763 comments Just finished my refugee task.......The Best We Could Do. I love graphic novels, and while this wasn't a novel, it was a memoir, the story of a family's journey from Viet Nam. The artwork, the story, all beautiful, very moving.

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3027 comments Danell wrote: "Thank you friends for understanding. Trying to read a few different books but nothing is holding my interest. Thinking of rereading a few of my favorites. Hoping to break this slump soon. Husband w..."

xo

« previous 1