Hooked on Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > June 16th - 17th, 2018

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brave (last edited Jun 16, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) Welcome to the June Weekend Read-a-Thon!

Each reader reads from 12:01am on Saturday to 11:59pm on Sunday in their local time zone.

To sign up, simply start yourself a post to track what you've read during the read-a-thon. Edit your post throughout the read-a-thon to let everyone know which books you've read & your total number of pages.

Happy reading!

photo 21291983_zpscuxesfpc.gif

Beatrice
Brave
Catherine
Danniele
Dannii
Diana
Erin (18)
Erin (26)
Fail
Frederic
Janessa
Jen
Jessica
Jonidyan
Karen
Kate
Katherine
Lesa
Leticia
Lisa
Mary
Meera
Melanie
Nicole
Rachel
Rebecca
Trisha

message 2: by Trisha (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Trisha | 423 comments I’m in!

TBR:
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa to finish
Forget Her Name by Jane Holland The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

6/16:
The Travelling Cat Chronicles, 45 pages, finished
Forget her Name, 346 pages, finished

6/17: The Last Runaway, 240 pages

Pages: 631

Books finished:
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa Forget Her Name by Jane Holland

message 3: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Here is a template you can copy if you'd like to:

TBR:

6/16:
6/17:

Pages Read:

Books Finished:

message 4: by Lesa (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:45PM) (new)

Lesa Divine | 94 comments TBR: Those Girls by Chevy Stevens Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2) by Brandon Sanderson

6/16: Those Girls (pages 100) done
Words of Radiance (pages 87)
The Wicked Deep (pages 136)
Since We Fell (pages 60) DNF

6/17: The Wicked Deep (pages 171) done
Huntress (pages 201)
Words of Radiance (pages 48)

Pages:

Books finished:

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments I'm in
6/16
6/17

Pages

Books finished

message 6: by Robyn (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Robyn (birdwithabrain) | 92 comments I'm away for half of the weekend so may not get much reading done, but here goes anyway!

TBR:

6/16: -
6/17: 333

Pages Read: 333

Books Finished: Grass for His Pillow (Tales of the Otori, #2) by Lian Hearn

message 7: by Danniele (last edited Jun 16, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Danniele (readingislife1) | 11 comments It's been SO long since I've participated in one of these! I have off the entire weekend for once, so I'M IN!!!

6/16: The Hunger Games

6/17:

Pages read: 374

Books Finished: 1

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:40AM) (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) I'm in!

What I Read: Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1) by Melissa F. Olson Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2) by Melissa F. Olson Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3) by Melissa F. Olson

6/16: Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1) by Melissa F. Olson 168-293 Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2) by Melissa F. Olson 1-25

6/17: Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2) by Melissa F. Olson 25-294 Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon 3-18 Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3) by Melissa F. Olson 1-115

Pages read: 548

Books Finished: Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1) by Melissa F. Olson Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2) by Melissa F. Olson

Also published this wrap-up on my blog. Here's the link: http://wssthoughtsandbookobsessions.b...

message 9: by Beatrice Longbottom (last edited Jun 18, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Beatrice Longbottom | 88 comments I'm in!

6/16:
Undead Girl Gang by Lily Anderson 320 pgs
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin 106 pgs

6/17:

Pages read: 426 pgs

message 10: by Melanie (last edited Jun 17, 2018 10:00PM) (new)

Melanie Harrington | 65 comments I need to get out of my slump!

TBR: Allies of the Night (The Saga of Darren Shan, #8) by Darren Shan , Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare , An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson , This Is Not the End by Chandler Baker

6/16: Allies of the Night (The Saga of Darren Shan, #8) by Darren Shan 30 pgs (Finished)
6/17: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare 102 pgs

Pages Read: 132

Books Finished: Allies of the Night (The Saga of Darren Shan, #8) by Darren Shan

I am so disappointed in myself for not reading more this weekend.

message 11: by Diana (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 24 comments I'm in

TBR: The Haunted Heart of America In-Depth Investigations of the Villisca Ax Murder House, Myrtles Plantation & Other Frightful Sites by Logan Corelli Family Don't End with Blood Cast and Fans on How Supernatural Has Changed Lives by Lynn Zubernis Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6) by Mercedes Lackey The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1) by Soman Chainani Custer The Making of a Young General by Edward G. Longacre Washed Away How the Great Flood of 1913, America's Most Widespread Natural Disaster, Terrorized a Nation and Changed It Forever by Geoff Williams Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Damnation Island Poor, Sick, Mad, & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn

6/16: Washed Away How the Great Flood of 1913, America's Most Widespread Natural Disaster, Terrorized a Nation and Changed It Forever by Geoff Williams , Damnation Island Poor, Sick, Mad, & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn
6/17: The Haunted Heart of America In-Depth Investigations of the Villisca Ax Murder House, Myrtles Plantation & Other Frightful Sites by Logan Corelli Damnation Island Poor, Sick, Mad, & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6) by Mercedes Lackey

Pages Read:765

Books Finished: Washed Away How the Great Flood of 1913, America's Most Widespread Natural Disaster, Terrorized a Nation and Changed It Forever by Geoff Williams Damnation Island Poor, Sick, Mad, & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn Exile's Honor (Heralds of Valdemar, #6) by Mercedes Lackey

message 12: by Karen (last edited Jun 18, 2018 03:29AM) (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1454 comments Mod
Currently reading: On Politics A History of Political Thought From Herodotus to the Present by Alan Ryan
06/16 145 pages
06/17 205 pages

Pages Read: 350
Books Finished: Skyblaze (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #17) by Sharon Lee Courier Run (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #18) by Sharon Lee Outline by Rachel Cusk

message 13: by Katherine (last edited Jun 18, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Katherine | 103 comments I’m in!

6/16: Gods and Warriors - 304 pages
6/17: Saga, Vol. 5 - 152 pages

Pages Read: 456 pages
Books finished:
Gods and Warriors (Gods and Warriors, #1) by Michelle Paver Saga, Vol. 5 (Saga, #5) by Brian K. Vaughan

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:08PM) (new)

I'm in

6/16: The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) by Alison Goodman -18 pages One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus -29 pages
6/17: One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus -24 pages An Elephant in the Garden by Michael Morpurgo -20 pages The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry -17 pages

Pages Read: 108

Books Finished:

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Bronson | 109 comments I am in! I am working, but I am hoping to get a little bit of reading time done

message 16: by Rachel Anne (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) | 160 comments I’m in too.

TBR:
I’m going to try to finish these books up:
Tip of the Iceberg My 3,000-Mile Journey Around Wild Alaska, the Last Great American Frontier by Mark Adams Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru by Karen Lee Street

6/16:
Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru - 98 pgs
Bolivar - 224 pgs

6/17:

Pages read:

Books finished:
Bolivar by Sean Rubin

message 17: by Dannii (last edited Jun 17, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) I'm in!

TBR:
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik Bright Ruin (The Dark Gifts Trilogy Book 3) by Vic James A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

Currently reading:
The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang On Writers and Writing by Margaret Atwood 12 Rules for Life An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson

6/16:
47 pages of Personal Best: Transform Your Life By Thinking Like An Athlete
20 pages of The Poppy War

6/17:

Pages Read:
128 pages of Personal Best: Transform Your Life By Thinking Like An Athlete
199 pages of Illuminae

Books Finished:
Personal Best Transform Your Life By Thinking Like An Athlete by Josh Black Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

message 18: by Erin (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:38PM) (new)

Erin (sweeterin) | 104 comments I`m in!TBR: Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Puddin' (Dumplin', #2) by Julie Murphy The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen

6/16: Puddin' (Dumplin', #2) by Julie Murphy 101 pages. The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen 38 pages.
6/17: The Ever After by Sarah Pekkanen 57 pages

Pages Read: 196

Books Finished: none :(

message 19: by Leticia (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:31AM) (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) | 449 comments I’m in a middle of a reading slump, so let's try this!

Reading slump and a fully buzy weekend, I got no reading done this time. :-(

message 20: by Joni (last edited Jun 19, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Pages:

6/16: Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)49pgs 99 Days153pgs
6/17: Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)44pgs 99 Days121pgsRed Queen
22pgs

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (slytherdor1987) | 91 comments TBR: Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1) by John Allison Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2) by John Allison Giant Days, Vol. 3 (Giant Days #3) by John Allison Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve, #2) by Marissa Meyer More Than We Can Tell (Letters to the Lost, #2) by Brigid Kemmerer

6/16:
6/17:

Pages Read:
Hours listened:

Books Finished:

message 22: by Kate (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:31PM) (new)

Kate | 152 comments Hi, I'm new to this group and eager to jump straight in! I have a few commitments this weekend but I'll see what progress I can make. I'm keen to make some headway with The Iliad which is proving a bit of a challenge in itself!

TBR: The Iliad by Homer The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins

6/16: The Hunger Games. 69 pages

6/17: The Hunger Games. 94 pages
The Iliad. 9 pages

Pages Read: 172

Books Finished: None

message 23: by Rebecca Burke (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:14PM) (new)

Rebecca Burke I'm in
TBR: The Eye of the Sibyl by Philip K. Dick , A Chosen Exile A History of Racial Passing in America by Allyson Hobbs

6/16: Started The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 5 The Eye of The Sibyl by Philip K. Dick , currently on 150.
6/17

Pages Read:
Books Read:

message 24: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Kate wrote: "Hi, I'm new to this group and eager to jump straight in! I have a few commitments this weekend but I'll see what progress I can make. I'm keen to make some headway with The Iliad which is proving a..."

Welcome, Kate! I hope you enjoy your first read-a-thon!

message 25: by Brave (last edited Jun 17, 2018 07:43PM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) Here's where I'll track what I'm reading!

TBR: hoping to make progress with this chunker Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy #1) by Ken Follett

6/16: Read 64 pages
6/17: Read 129 pages

Pages Read: 193 pages! Sooo close to my 200 page goal.

Books Finished:

message 26: by Erin (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:08PM) (new)

Erin Sorry, I just saw this. I'm in.

Saturday: Scandalous Women The Lives and Loves of History's Most Notorious Women by Elizabeth Kerri Mahon 134pages

Total:134pages

Sunday: Scandalous Women The Lives and Loves of History's Most Notorious Women by Elizabeth Kerri Mahon 116pages,

Total: 116pages

Grand Total:250pages

Books Finished: Scandalous Women The Lives and Loves of History's Most Notorious Women by Elizabeth Kerri Mahon

message 27: by Frederic (new)

Frederic | 6 comments It will be my first one... let's try it.. I wanted to try it for a while:)

6/16:
6/17:

Pages Read:

Books Finished:

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen (catlady1981) | 103 comments I'm in:

Currently reading: An Ember in the Ashes
6/16:
6/17:

Pages read:

message 29: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Frederic wrote: "It will be my first one... let's try it.. I wanted to try it for a while:) ..."

Hooray! Hope you enjoy it!

message 30: by Brave (last edited Jun 15, 2018 07:57PM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

What's everyone else starting (or planning to start) with?

message 31: by Jessica (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:26AM) (new)

Jessica Gillies | 71 comments TBR: C-Grammatik by Szilvia Szita, Susanne Raven Anne Buscha Middle Ground (Awaken, #2) by Katie Kacvinsky

6/16:27
6/17:37

Pages:64 + a bunch of work in my german exercise book :)

Books finished:

message 32: by Diana (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 24 comments Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

I have 120 pages left in Washed Away How the Great Flood of 1913, America's Most Widespread Natural Disaster, Terrorized a Nation and Changed It Forever by Geoff Williams So I'd like to finish that tonight.

message 33: by Meera (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:03AM) (new)

Meera | 13 comments TBR: Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2) by Lucy Parker

6/16:finished The Son, started Pretty Face, 400 pages
6/17:

Pages:
Books Finished: The Son by Jo Nesbø

message 34: by Rachel Anne (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) | 160 comments Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

What's everyone else starting (o..."

I’m starting off with Edgar Allan Poe and the Jewel of Peru 😊

message 35: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Diana wrote: "Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

I have 120 pages l..."

Good luck!

message 36: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Rachel Despins wrote: "Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

What's everyone el..."

Oooh I am very intrigued by this! Also, it sounds like the perfect read-a-thon book!

message 37: by Trisha (last edited Jun 16, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

Trisha | 423 comments Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

What's everyone else starting (o..."

Interesting choice, Brave - hope you enjoy it. I chose shorter books, as I’ve read 2 long books recently & didn’t like either of them! Today I read the last few pages of The Travelling Cat Chronicles, which is the best book I’ve read for ages. Then I read all of Forget Her Name. This is my best readathon ever - I usually struggle to find time to read much on Saturdays. Hope everyone else has had a good day too.

message 38: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Trisha wrote: "Brave wrote: "It's just about time for the read-a-thon to start in my time zone! I'm about to try to make progress in the big book I'm reading (Fall of Giants).

What's everyone el..."

aw hooray!! So glad you're doing well! :) Yes, I don't typically read longer books, but I just wanted to be inspired to make progress.

message 39: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) I have read exactly zero pages so far, as I have been consumed with my own writing. I have managed a few chapters of audiobook listening though, so should hopefully complete at least one book this weekend.

message 40: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Dannii wrote: "I have read exactly zero pages so far, as I have been consumed with my own writing. I have managed a few chapters of audiobook listening though, so should hopefully complete at least one book this ..."

Fingers crossed for you! Good luck with your writing, too!

message 41: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

How are your reads turning out? Good? Bad? Ugly? Indifferent? Fingers crossed for lots of good books!

message 42: by Diana (new)

Diana (gwenivere27) | 24 comments Brave wrote: "Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

How are your reads turning out? Good? Bad? Ugly? Indifferent? Fingers crossed for lots of good books!"

Damnation Island by Stacy Horn is a good read but parts of it are rough. It's about Roosevelt Island in New York where they quarantined those with mental illness, criminals and the poor. The author definitely pulls no punches when discussing what happened there.

message 43: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Brave wrote: "Dannii wrote: "I have read exactly zero pages so far, as I have been consumed with my own writing. I have managed a few chapters of audiobook listening though, so should hopefully complete at least..."

Thank you :D

message 44: by Rachel Anne (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) | 160 comments Brave wrote: "Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

How are your reads turning out? Good? Bad? Ugly? Indifferent? Fingers crossed for lots of good books!"

My book is great! The mystery is intriguing and Poe and his wife have the best relationship ever. ❤️ I wasn’t able to do much reading today but maybe tonight I can get more read.

message 45: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Diana wrote: "Brave wrote: "Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

Damnation Island by Stacy Horn is a good read but p..."

ooh this sounds like an interesting read for sure! I've added it to my list to check out.

message 46: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Rachel Despins wrote: "Brave wrote: "Hi, friends! Happy Sunday!

My book is great! The mystery is intriguing and Poe..."

Hooray for a great read!

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 1454 comments Mod
Thank you Brave for a great read-a-thon.

message 48: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Thanks to all who participated and made hosting my first read-a-thon so fun. It looks like we got lots of good reading done!

I hope you'll join us for the next weekend read-a-thon on July 21st - 22nd!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.