Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] Voting for 1st-Mini Poll (Multi-Week Prompts)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
Voting is now open!

The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

The Process:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

The Rules:
- This is a multi-week prompt poll
- Only one set of themes will be selected for the final list
- Vote for your TOP 2 and BOTTOM 2
- You are allowed to vote for less than 2
- Voting ends June 18
- One vote per poll per user

- see the comment section for more details on some entries

1. Four books related to the four cardinal points of a compass: North, South, East, West
2. Four books, one for each of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: pestilence, famine, war, and death
3. Three unrelated books that are linked only by having the same word in the title
4. Three books related to "Mind, Body, and Soul"
5. Four books related to the four seasons of the year: spring, summer, autumn, winter
6. Five books that can make up a poker hand
7. Three books representing the three stages of life: childhood/adolescence, adulthood, and old age
8. Four books that make up a family (members in the title)
9. Three books related to Sex, Drugs, and Rock ‘n Roll
10. A book related to each of the 4 Hogwart's Houses (Harry Potter)
11. Read 3 books on the same topic, at least one being non-fiction
12. Four books by authors from 4 different continents
13. Three books published in 3 different decades in a row (i.e. 1960, 1970, 1980)
14. Read the Rainbow (Four books related to the colors of the rainbow)
15. Four books inspired by the wedding rhyme: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
16. Three books published in three consecutive years by authors you haven’t read before
17. A book with an animal in the title, a book with an animal on the cover, and a book where an animal is central to the story
18. Three books with the theme "raining cats and dogs"

Survey Link

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
Mind, Body, and Soul

Mind, a book that you learn something new or stretches your understanding, a book about schools/teaching,

Body, a book about athletes, or someone who struggles with eating disorders, or has a body on the cover

Soul: A book that moves or inspires you or a book spiritual in nature

Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll

Books about sex can include erotica, books on gender or feminism, romance novels, crime novels involving sex themes
(prostitution). Books with sex in the title (e.g., the Second Sex) would work too.

Books about drugs could be about addictions, crime involving the drug world, medical mysteries.

Books about rock ‘n roll, could be biographies about rock musicians or fiction with rock ‘n roll themes. Here are relevant goodreads lists:
https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=ro...

Three Stages of Life

Childhood/adolescence - Could be a book you loved as a kid, a book featuring a child or adolescent as the main character, a children's book, a memoir about an young person, a book you associate with childhood, etc.

Adulthood - Could be a book with an adult character, a non-fiction book about an adult, a book you didn't discover until you were an adult, a book that has adult-only themes, a book with an adult on the cover, etc.

Old age - Could be a book featuring an elderly character, a book about a centuries-old vampire, a memoir, a book with "old" in the title, a book written by an author when he/she was older (for example, a recent work by Stephen King), etc.

These could be fairly open to interpretation and could work for fiction and non-fiction.

Raining cats and dogs

rain (or any form of storm or water) in the title, cover art, plot, or other form

cats (in any feline form - domestic cats, tigers, lions, panthers, etc.) in the title, cover art, plot, or other form

dogs (in any canine form - domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, coyotes, etc.) in the title, cover art, plot, or other form

In the hopes of getting a second on this, I want to point out that these absolutely do not have to be animal-centric books. For example, Wolf Hall would work for the dog part. And Stray City by Chelsey Johnson has a cat on the cover but it's really not about cats at all (though there is a cat who is a very very minor plot point.)

Wedding Rhyme

Something old: a book written more than 50 years ago, or with the word “old” in the title
Something new: a book published within the last 12 months, or with the word “new” in the title
Something borrowed: a book that borrows a setting or characters from another writer. This could include retellings, homage, etc. (I think a book you borrowed from someone else is too much like a free choice.)
Something blue: a book with a blue cover, or the word “blue” in the title

message 3: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1547 comments Mod
Well, that was tough. There were so many good ones! My bottom two were hard to choose because I would be fine with pretty much any of them. Can't wait to see what we end up with, but now for the long wait.

message 4: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments Let the fun begin....(I missed the poll.....long weekend here so I didn't get on all weekend but I'm excited about the voting).

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8321 comments Mod
But how do I chooooose? And, better yet, how do I wait a whole week before finding out the results?!

message 6: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3278 comments Why is this soooo hard????? *burying head in pillow and weeping*

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments Bottom were easy but top two were very hard to choose

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hopefully we can turn some of these into prompts for single weeks!

message 9: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (last edited Jun 11, 2018 06:14PM) (new)

Jackie | 1547 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "Hopefully we can turn some of these into prompts for single weeks!"

Oh I think a lot of them could easily be adapted into single week prompts and I really hope they come back again!

message 10: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Emily wrote: "But how do I chooooose? And, better yet, how do I wait a whole week before finding out the results?!"

This!

message 11: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments That was much harder than I thought it was going to be!

message 12: by Angie (new)

Angie I voted, but it was tough. I would honestly be cool with almost any of them.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill | 638 comments Why was this so hard? I don’t remember having such a hard time choosing last year. So many great suggestions! If the caliper of suggestions is this good a;l the way through it is going to be tough choosing every poll!

message 14: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I think it’s so much harder because it’s two choices only.

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Can someone elaborate on the "poker hand" one? I have genuinely no idea what that means.

message 16: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jun 12, 2018 09:49AM) (new)

Each title of the book would have a different card name that would make a poker hand.

I think the example given was a book with the numbers 9 and 10 in the title, then something with Jack, Queen, and King in the titles to make a straight (which is a poker hand).

You could also do two books that have the same number and another three books that have a different number (to make a full house). Maybe even read 5 books in a row in a series (since the series numbers would make a straight)?

You could also do five books that have the same color covers for a flush? I think it's pretty open to interpretation... as long as there's five books and they are connected in some way to poker hands.

Here's some info on poker hands: https://www.cardplayer.com/rules-of-p...

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 74 comments Emily wrote: "Each title of the book would have a different card name that would make a poker hand.

I think the example given was a book with the numbers 9 and 10 in the title, then something with Jack, Queen, ..."

Oh okay, that makes more sense. Thank you for explaining!

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Oh, I'm so glad I just happened to look for the 2019 topic & found this before the voting for the 1st mini-poll is over. I somehow got my notifications turned off & didn't know that we were starting on next year's list, but I was thinking it was about time. Hooray for finding it on time & getting to vote, and for knowing that I need to keep up now so I can contribute & vote for the rest of the list. :)

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Perfect timing Nicole!

message 20: by ash | (new)

ash | (sffreads) That was tough!