All About Books discussion

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
This topic is about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
The Monday Poem > June 11th: The Rime of the Ancient Marine

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (last edited Jun 11, 2018 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie | 20 comments Well, I had a small book of poetry set aside for today that has been taken down without explanation. I'll post a second choice, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

If you are interested in what I had originally selected, it was a small book called Whereas by Layli Long Soldier Whereas by Layli Long Soldier. A number of groups are reading Indian related reads including Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West. This book is written by a Lakota Indian woman who is the daughter of a chief. The events that she writes about are covered in Chapter Three. Even if you are not currently in one of those groups, the poetry is well-written, moving, and informative. I thought it would make a nice change of topic. If, however, that is a problem, the one above is absolutely terrific, fun to read and available free online.

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan Leslie- I just borrowed Whereas from my library- now I’m really looking forward to reading it.

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 1321 comments Leslie wrote: "Well, I had a small book of poetry set aside for today that has been taken down without explanation. I'll post a second choice, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge [book:The Rime of ..."

I have a recorded copy of this read by Richard Burton - amazing.

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 12312 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Well, I had a small book of poetry set aside for today that has been taken down without explanation. I'll post a second choice, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge [book:The Rime of ..."

Leslie, I didn't realise you had already posted, but you just simply post a poem. You don't need to talk about a selection of poetry.

message 5: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Penhallow | 117 comments Studying this poem for GCSEs killed it for me! I much preferred Wordsworth.

message 6: by Leslie (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie | 20 comments Alannah wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Well, I had a small book of poetry set aside for today that has been taken down without explanation. I'll post a second choice, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge [bo..."

Limit yourself if you wish. I believe there is a poem within the collection called "Whereas" that you could read alone. It would make more sense in context of the others. As I mentioned, the first listing is available free online.

Leslie wrote: "Alannah wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Well, I had a small book of poetry set aside for today that has been taken down without explanation. I'll post a second choice, [bookcover:The Rime of the Ancient Mar..."

The whole point of the Monday Poem is to post your favourite poem, if you have a favourite poem, feel free to post it, and if you wish, you're more than welcome about the anthology where you found the poem.

Leslie | 20 comments Got it. "Whereas" is my current favorite poem. It's part of a collection called "Whereas" that's easy to read in one sitting if you wish. If you want something quicker to find and that can stand alone, read the other.

Leslie wrote: "Got it. "Whereas" is my current favorite poem. It's part of a collection called "Whereas" that's easy to read in one sitting if you wish. If you want something quicker to find and that can stand al..."

Feel free to post it if you like.

message 10: by Joan (last edited Jun 12, 2018 01:48PM) (new)

Joan Imagine being invited to read your poetry at Harvard
Imagine forgetting your reading glasses on the big day.

heartbreaking though I can empathize- or maybe because I can sympathize with Long Soldier’s plight.

I always try to find audio versions of any poem posted & found this one for Whereas.

https://youtu.be/nCpvSiaz_Ps

Leslie thanks for introducing me to Long Soldier’s poetry

Leslie | 20 comments Oooh how exciting. I love audio as well for poetry. Thank you for sharing.

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Leslie, Long Soldier’s poetry has led me to examine my idea of poetry - thanks for broadening my world.

Leslie | 20 comments Oh that's terrific. I enjoy writing as well. I didn't care for her reading, perhaps it was that she didn't have her own reading glasses, but I loved her writing. The story is so heartbreaking. For me, the way she built her accounting helped me to relate to the experience through a thousand moments of my life, although quite different experiences.

message 14: by Joan (new)

Joan I agree, her reading style does not enhance the poetry for me either - though she is an effective speaker. I watched several of her readings as I searched for an audio version of my favorite poem in the collection, Wahpanica.

I usually enjoy poetry read by actors more than poets reading their own work, ahhh Richard Burton {>
Though I do like Simon Armitage’s reading.