Start by marking “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” as Want to Read:
The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (originally "The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere") is the longest major poem by the English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge, written in 1797–98 and published in 1798 in the first edition of Lyrical Ballads. Modern editions use a later revised version printed in 1817 and featuring a gloss. Along with other poems in Lyrical Ballads, it was a signal ...more
Published June 1st 1970 by Dover Publications (first published 1798)

To ask other readers questions about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, please sign up.
Paul Of I recommend reading Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - translated by George Madison Priest (the translator makes a big difference)
Albert Rogers Note that the albatross is an amazing flyer, that uses the perfection of its aerodynamics to harness the faster wind high above the sea, and the…moreNote that the albatross is an amazing flyer, that uses the perfection of its aerodynamics to harness the faster wind high above the sea, and the slower near the sea, to provide itself with net energy to go anywhere. It is the ultimate oceanic bird.(less)

Bookdragon Sean
So why did the Ancient Mariner shoot the Albatross?

To me the answer is simple. He did it because he could; he did it because is he is a man, and that’s what men do: he saw something beautiful; he saw perfection in nature, and he killed it. That’s humanity for you. Sinning is easily, as quickly as a finger click: it happens just like that. There’s little thought involved. For the Mariner it is spontaneity itself; it’s in his nature to destroy. The shooting of the bird suggests that all sin is th
Cameron
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Her lips were red, her looks were free,
Her locks were yellow as gold:
Her skin was white as leprosy,
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

When I did construction work this is what I always wrote on the inside of the Port-a-Potties, amongst all the other graffiti and anatomically imaginative drawings of women.

Florencia
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Since then, at an uncertain hour,
That agony returns;
And till my ghastly tale is told,
This heart within me burns.
(75)

Today, if a stranger stopped me at some party to talk to me about some story, I'd probably walk away with a nervous smile, holding my pepper spray with dissimulation. I admit it, I do not easily trust people. That is one of my many flaws fed by one complicated present. And, yes, not all people are bad but I am not willing to take any chances.
However, many years ago, a young man t
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who we start out as and who we end up as has always seemed to me to be the central point of this poem. One can often return to a physical place - but in the returning find that place lost - due to the way their journey has changed their soul. Looking for salvation one often finds that (in the finding) something else must be forever lost. A close friend who suffers from PTSD has related to me that this poem is 'true' to many feelings he has had to deal with.
Manny
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If all poetry books were like this, I would never read any prose.

____________________________________________

I was thinking about the Ancient Mariner just now, apropos Kris's review of Ice, and recalled an incident from a project I was once involved in. The person in charge failed to renew the contract of a difficult but talented software engineer, after which we had a lot of problems. This prompted the following verse:
For he had done a hellish thing
And it would work them woe
For all averred, he
Carol
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!

Reading the USS INDIANAPOLIS a few weeks back brought this poem to my attention beginning with the well-known words......

Water, water, everywhere, And all the boards did shrink; Water, water, everywhere, Nor any drop to drink.

First published in 1798, I was both delighted and surprised to find where this poem actually begins and takes the reader. It's really quite an amazing journey that may appeal to those who don't even care for poetry.

It's an eerie story with equally eerie illus

Helga
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, classics, poetry

Farewell, farewell! But this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us
He made and loveth all.

A mariner, returning from a long sea-voyage, engages a man who is attending a wedding, and begins to tell the tale of his sufferings during his journey.
Duane
Definitely in my top 10 favorite poems. I love the way it flows; the lyrical rhythm "soothes the battered soul".

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;

Recommended to David by: My English Teacher
Shelves: dark
Beware the Age of Reason
14 December 2014

Whenever I come to this poem the first thing that comes to mind is the song by Iron Maiden (unfortunately I don't think they did a video clip – which would have been awesome in its own right).

Iron Maiden

I am really tempted to spend the rest of this review talking about how as a teenager I loved Iron Maiden, and about how they were unfairly persecuted by the church because they released one song called 'Number of the Beast' (with an album of the same name), where in
Kyle
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry fans, Seafaring fans.
To be honest, I bought this only because this edition is illustrated by Mervyn Peake, and I wanted to read the work to which he matched his amazing illustrations.

Little did I expect to experience such a wonderful poetry story. I am, admittedly, a bit of an unreliable poetry reader. I don't often like (let alone, love) poetry, but when I do I tend to really like it.

No doubt, someone more knowledgeable or better-*cough*-versed in poetry can probably figure out why I like the poetry/poets I do (Li
CheshRCat
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Hey, where were you last night?"
"Huh?"
"It was the wedding last night. Remember? Hello, you were supposed to be the best man! The bride was really upset when you didn't show up! Everybody kept asking me, 'Where is he, where is he?' And I was like, 'I don't know!' I was kind of getting worried about you, dude."
"Oh. Sorry."
"So why didn't you come? You sick or something?"
"No, not sick, exactly."
"So you just blew us off?"
"Well–I got distracted, I guess. It was the weirdest thing. I mean, I was on my
Nickolas the Kid
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
“Her lips were red, her looks were free,
Her locks were yellow as gold:
Her skin was as white as leprosy,
The Night-mare LIFE-IN-DEATH was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold. “

O Κόλριτζ, ως γνήσιος εκπρόσωπος του ρομαντισμού, αλλά και σαν φιλόσοφος της εποχής του μας δίνει ένα μοναδικό ποίημα το οποίο είναι μια αλληγορική αυτοβιογραφία του δημιουργού, μια σκοτεινή ιστορία τρόμου με την αισθητική της αρμονίας των αντιθέτων που τόσο χαρακτήριζε το καλλιτεχνικό κείμενο.
Ο Γέρο Ναυτικός διηγείτα
Elizabeth O'Callahan
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I know 'serious' students of poetry will mock this, but I really think this is a superlative poem and will even say that I believe Coleridge to be a superior poet to Wordsworth. The ballad meter is delightful, and how can one not be won over by things like: "I fear thee, ancient mariner/ I fear thy skinny hand/ For thou art long and lank and brown/ As is the ribbed sea sand." Ew, I mean, can't you just imagine what this guy looks like?

Or how about this?

"The very deep did rot : O Christ !
That eve
M.
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: İngiliz Şiiri, romantizm, dünya edebiyatı, şiir, klasik okuru, genel okur
"Gemimiz alkışlarla iskeleden ayrıldı
Tepeyi, kiliseyi arkamızda bıraktık
Deniz feneri bile artık geride kaldı
İşte ummana böyle sere serpe açıldık"
(s.21)

Birleşik Krallıkta Romantizm akımının kurucularından biri kabul edilen Coleridge'in denizle adeta özdeşleşmiş gözleri çakmak çakmak yanan ihtiyar denizciyi anlattığı uzun şiiri; Oğuz Baykara'nın çevirisi, Everest yayınlarının nefis kapak tasarımı ve baskısıyla elime geçer geçmez okuma sıramda en önlere aldığım bir kitap oldu. Eserin bir diğer ç
Amaranta
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inglesi, poesia
La bellezza in una ballata. Mai mi sarei aspettata di trovare qui l’apoteosi del fantastico. Coleridge è il maestro di un notturno speciale, fatto di occhi scintillanti (glittering eyes) e mani di scheletro che prendono vita in un sussurro, di spose vermiglie come una rosa, di cieli di rame e sole sanguigno (bloody sun), di un paesaggio quasi lunare che si perde in un deserto di ghiaccio, silenzioso e immobile.
Da un albatro ucciso comincia l’incubo di una nave e del suo equipaggio, di un uomo c
Jim
As just an audio book, this is excellent. It's short so I'd really like to listen to it again while looking at an illustrated version I have around here somewhere from my grandfather. Another classic well preserved & given to the public by Librivox. Thanks!!!
Calista
I had to read this for 11th grade English class. After we discussed it, our teacher brought in the Iron Maiden song and played it for us in class as it is the whole text of the poem. That was my introduction to Iron Maiden. I had seen the shirts for years and they were so gross the band scared me and I remember thinking that it was just louder music and not so scary after all.
Liam
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved the first 3/4's of this! They were full of fantastic imagery and it read really well. But then, the last 1/4 just didn't sit well with me, it felt pretty out of place compared to the rest of the poem. However, it was overall really enjoyable and intriguing!
Joseph
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british
Another Audible.com revisiting of something that I read many times before.
Unknown
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reminds me when I was a literature student !
❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
"Like a painted ship
On a painted ocean"

"Farewell, farewell! but this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.
He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us
He made and loveth all."

(view spoiler)

:') Loved the poem so much!!! S.T. Coleridge, you stoppeth me from my misery about something =) It was my rime I loved the metaphors in it and...beautif
Murat G.
Yorum; Everest Yayınları'ndan çıkan Oğuz Baykara çevirisi için.

Kitabın çok güzel bir kapak/sayfa tasarımı var.

Gustave Dore'nin şiir için çizdiği gravürler oldukça güzel.

Türkçe çeviri altında, aynı sayfada şiirin İngilizce aslı da yer alıyor.

Bu noktada, kitabı değerlendirirken Türkçe çevirisi mi yoksa İngilizce aslını mı değerlendirmeli bilmiyorum.

Çünkü ikisi de güzel olsa da, ayrı ayrı güzel.

Özetle fazlaca bir tartışmaya girmeden; şiirin başka bir dile çevrilemeyen bir şey olduğunu düşünenlerden
Alexxy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I still don't understand the point of this book.

Maybe because I kept wanting to DNF it. Nothing picked up my interest through the whole thing. The only reason I never gave up reading was because it's such a fast read and I was ashamed to DNF it. I can even say I didn't understand anything after the 75%, I just kind of skimmed the pages to end it sooner.
Mohammad Ali

سه ستاره دادن به این اثر هم به دلیل طراحی های گوستاو دوره است و هم به خاطر خود شعر

در آغاز کتاب مقدمه ای کوتاه درباره ی زندگی گوستاو دوره آورده شده است - البته در مورد خود شعر و کولریج چیز خاصی گفته نشده. این مقدمه برای آشنایی کلی با دوره مفید است

شعر در باب ناخدایی است که مرغی ماهیخوار (آلباتروس) را می کشد و بدین دلیل دچار نفرین می شود و کشتی و ملوانانش را از دست می دهد اما سرانجام به دلیل جوشیدن عشق به طبیعت در وجودش از این نفرین رهایی می یابد. شعر آشکارا رومانتیک است و مضمون اصلی آن الهی بودن ع
Eliza
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I fear thee ancient mariner!
I fear thy skinny hand!
And thou art long and lank and brown,
As is the ribbed sea-sand

Sections of this poem just go around and around in my head sometimes. It's like the reading equivalent of sea sickness. In a really, really good way.
Alan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
"It is an Ancient Mariner
And he stoppeth one of Three--
'By thy long grey beard and twinkling* eye,
Now wherefore stoppeth thou me?'

'There was a Ship...' 'Unhand me, Grey-beard loon!'"
I recall aloudreading and memorizing this in Grammar School (no longer the Latin Grammar school Shakespeare attended), Grade Four to Eight, which? Tested on knowing maybe 40 lines--beginning, ending, and various passages in between. In fact, it grounded me in my adolescent loneliness: "this soul has been/ Alone
Laurie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've loved this poem since college. I re-read it again today and it still amazes me. Perhaps in a different light now. So many of the lines just stick with you and as apt as they are for the poem, can be interpreted to apply to so many facets of life.
- "Water, Water Everywhere / And all the boards did shrink / Water, Water Everywhere / Nor any Drop To Drink" ... I can't help but think of global warming when I read this. We have everything on our planet but the resources are shrinking and soon we
Teresa Proença
O poema não me impressionou, mas as ilustrações de Gustave Doré, sim!

"Além da sombra do navio, serpentes de água
Vejo em minha agonia:
Movem-se em trilhas de candura que fulgura,
E, quando se erguem, chispam lâminas de alvura das luzes de magia."

description
Dannii Elle
This, along with Goblin Market, is tied for the most profound and evocatively brilliant poems I have ever read.
Lör K.
Rating: 5 / 5

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner is a classic poetry book from the pen of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. In my interpretation, this seems to be the story of numerous zombie mariners, and the story of how they became the way they are, and the things that happened to them all afterwards. I really wanted to read this again for my own entertainment after remembering randomly one day that I read this back in secondary school. I had really loved it then and I really wanted to reread it and give
The Gothic Poets ...: Open Discussion 9 23 Oct 11, 2018 12:31PM
All About Books: June 11th: The Rime of the Ancient Marine 14 16 Jun 21, 2018 11:39AM
Dore's illustrations 2 12 Mar 02, 2016 09:48AM
Gothic Literature: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 15 27 Oct 20, 2013 05:44AM
Poems and songs with sea theme 20 72 Jun 18, 2013 12:43PM
Will Contemplating the definition of Sci-Fi/Fantasy bring out favorite authors bigger paychecks? 1 12 Jun 16, 2012 08:03PM
Monthly Book Club: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner [June] 1 3 Jun 10, 2012 05:56PM
  • The Lady of Shalott
  • The Ballad Of Reading Gaol
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • The Complete Sonnets and Poems
Samuel Taylor Coleridge was an English poet, critic, and philosopher who was, along with his friend William Wordsworth, one of the founders of the Romantic Movement in England and one of the Lake Poets. He is probably best known for his poems The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan, as well as his major prose work Biographia Literaria.
“Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”
294 likes
“Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;