Something Old, Something New discussion

Monthly Challenges > August 2014 TBR Takedown Challenge

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Sorry for not giving everyone a little more time to plan this month.

We are going much easier for August and a slightly different type of challenge.

Getting to Know You: A Spell-Out Challenge

1. Choose something you want to share about yourself (favorite genre, author, favorite color, pet's name, hobby, anything) and read books from your TBR list which spell out this factoid about you.

2. We will just use the first word of the title (excluding or including the, a, and an, as you choose) and the first or last name of the author of your book.

3. Score 10 points for each book (letter) you complete. Score 25 points for each word you complete.

4. Each book only qualifies for one letter, but you can move it around as you choose.

Example: I like to play golf (not necessarily well), so I may use GOLFER as my spell-it-out word.

G-The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956-title starts with G
O-
L-The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum-author's last name
F
E-The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway-author's first name
R-

message 2: by Becky (last edited Aug 22, 2014 06:30AM) (new)

Becky Getting to Know You: A Spell-Out Challenge

1. Choose something you want to share about yourself (favorite genre, author, favorite color, pet's name, hobby, anything) and read books from your TBR list which spell out this factoid about you.

2. We will just use the first word of the title (excluding or including the, a, and an, as you choose) and the first or last name of the author of your book.

3. Score 10 points for each book (letter) you complete. Score 25 points for each word you complete.

4. Each book only qualifies for one letter, but you can move it around as you choose.

Cooking is my passion!
C- Castillo, Linda "The Dead will tell" Completed 08/04 The Dead Will Tell (Kate Burkholder, #6) by Linda Castillo
O- O'Brien, Kevin Tell Me You're Sorry
Tell Me You're Sorry by Kevin O'Brien
O-
K-Kevin Cook Flip: The Inside Story of TV's First Black Superstar Flip The Inside Story of TV's First Black Superstar by Kevin Cook
I- I heart my little A-holes by Karen Alpert completed 8-11
I Heart My Little A-Holes by Karen Alpert
N-NOS4A2by Joe Hill completed 08/22
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
G-Genova, Lisa Still Alicecompleted 08/06 Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Total as of 08/22 - 60 pts

message 3: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Ooooh, I need to have a good think about this one.

I need to find a small word to somehow describe me due to the fact I can never read more than 4 or 5 books during a months if I'm lucky, Lol!

message 4: by Elaine (last edited Aug 09, 2014 02:12AM) (new)

Elaine | 140 comments My only real hobby is reading so that's a bit boring and predictable so I'm going with something that describes me. My boss and workmates think I'm:

C-
H-
A-
T- The Ghost Riders of Ordebec The Ghost Riders of Ordebec (Commissaire Adamsberg, #9) by Fred Vargas 07/08
T-
Y-

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky I think I really screwed myself on this one but that's ok because cooking really IS my passion lol but finding 2 "O" books will be quite a challenge. I guess that's the point in a "CHALLENGE" huh lol

message 6: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Hmmm, I don't know many 'O' books either. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest maybe?
I'm still thinking of my word. I'm trying to plan out what I'll actually get to read this month and see if I can just make one up but it's not working. I think I might bow out of this one :-)

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments It definitely is another challenging one but you can't not do it Michelle!!! Half the fun is trying to find books to fit the challenge. Having said that the only book I can think of that starts with "Y" and that I want to read or rather reread is Year of Wonders. Can't think of anything else.

Becky if you google books that start with "O" it gives you a link to GR and titles starting with that letter. Good luck girls.

I just reread the challenge rules and realised I've already finished one that starts with "T". I'll add on now.

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S A few 'O's on your TBR list, Becky:

One Plus One
On Mystic Lake
Off the Menu
2 books by Tom Ogden
Orphan Train

A few others:
Oscar Hijuelos was a Pulitzer Prize author
George Orwell
On Chesil Beach
One Door Away from Heaven
Yōko Ogawa

Good luck! I am sure you will find something that works, I hope it is also something you enjoy!

message 10: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Michelle working with you currently reading shelf and our August books, I came up with some guesses about who you might be:

A person who likes to travel by TRAIN
T-The Art of Drowning
R-Swan Song
A-Around The World In 80 Days
I-Innocence
N-Never Work Again: Work Less, Earn More and Live Your Freedom

A BRAT at home
B-Never Work Again
R-Swan Song
A-Around the World in 80 Days
T-The Art of Drowning

A person who looks forward to going to the FAIR
F-Art of Drowning
A-Around the World in 80 Days
I-Innocence
R-Swan Song

Married to a man named JIM
J-Around the World in 80 Days
I-Innocence
M-Swan Song

I don't know, I am making wild stabs in the dark, but I think there are options for most book lists. :)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky Kate S wrote: "A few 'O's on your TBR list, Becky:

One Plus One
On Mystic Lake
Off the Menu
2 books by Tom Ogden
Orphan Train

A few o..."

Thanks!

message 12: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Kate S wrote: "Michelle working with you currently reading shelf and our August books, I came up with some guesses about who you might be:

A person who likes to travel by TRAIN
T-[book:The Art of Drowning|544517..."

A brat at home? Thanks! That made me laugh as I'm sure my husband would wholeheartedly agree with you there :-)

message 13: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (last edited Aug 17, 2014 03:24PM) (new)

I think I've decided on my word. It describes me perfectly right now with everything I'm juggling at once:

T
I
R
E - Never Work Again: Work Less, Earn More and Live Your Freedom by Erland Bakke - Finished 9/8/14
D - Wilderness - Finished 17/8/14

Lets see how I go with that!

message 14: by Elaine (last edited Aug 30, 2014 01:13AM) (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Great work there Kate and thanks for the Y suggestions. I'll see how I go. Good job on getting Michelle to do the challenge!!! Ha,ha.

I have completed another of my letters so, so far I have:

C- Cicada Cicada by Moira McKinnon 17/08

H-

A= All That I Am All That I Am by Anna Funder 27/08

T= The Ghost Riders of Ordebec The Ghost Riders of Ordebec (Commissaire Adamsberg, #9) by Fred Vargas 07/08

T- The Promise The Promise by Tony Birch 10/08

Y-

Currently reading my C book. Cicada Cicada by Moira McKinnon

message 15: by Kate S (new)

Kate S I have been busy playing golf this month and taking advantage of our wonderfully mild August weather! Let's see if I can get some of this done. :)

G-The Garden of Eden
O-Orange Is the New Black
L-Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
F-Flight Behavior
E-Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont by Elizabeth Taylor
R-The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

OK, so I finished that one...

I also greatly enjoy KNITTING

K: The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi
N:
I: Dining on Stones by Iain Sinclair
T: City Sister Silver by Jáchym Topol
T:
I:
N:
G: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Points as of August 17: 125 (10 books x 10 points + 1 complete word bonus)

message 16: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Wow Kate. You certainly have been busy!! Well done. I don't think I'm going to finish my one short word and you've almost done a second one. :)

message 17: by Kate S (new)

Kate S Thanks, Elaine. I have tackled a few books this month! My seasonal challenges are winding up and I have been trying to fit in the rest of the books I have been looking forward to for the last 3 months or so. Starting September 1st the tasks will change and some of the books I got psyched about may not fit into the new ones. So, I golf, knit, and read, read, read! :)

message 18: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Wow! It's just not fair. I wish I had more hours in the day to read that much.....

I did manage to finish one for my word last night though. Granted, it was only a 30 page short story but it still counts!

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky Just need an O & i'll complete my word. maybe i'll find something this weekend.

message 20: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Becky wrote: "Just need an O & i'll complete my word. maybe i'll find something this weekend."

I finished another book last night but it doesn't contain any of my letters unfortunately :-(
I might get one more done before the end of the month and that will probably be it for me.

message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments This is all I'm going to manage to get done of this challenge.

C- Cicada Cicada by Moira McKinnon 17/08

H-

A= All That I Am All That I Am by Anna Funder 27/08

T= The Ghost Riders of Ordebec The Ghost Riders of Ordebec (Commissaire Adamsberg, #9) by Fred Vargas 07/08

T- The Promise The Promise by Tony Birch 10/08

Y-

message 22: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

I managed to finish another one today and that is probably it for me too.

T
I - Innocence - Finished 30/8/14
R
E - Never Work Again: Work Less, Earn More and Live Your Freedom by Erland Bakke - Finished 9/8/14
D - Wilderness - Finished 17/8/14

So, a total of 30 points for me :-)

message 23: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Becky wrote: "Getting to Know You: A Spell-Out Challenge

1. Choose something you want to share about yourself (favorite genre, author, favorite color, pet's name, hobby, anything) and read books from your TBR l..."

Becky, what did you think of Still Alice? I've got to read that one for my real life bookclub in a couple of months and am curious as to what you thought.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky It was excellent! You will love it.