Start by marking “Innocence” as Want to Read:
Innocence

Innocence (Innocence #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  17,845 Ratings  ·  2,108 Reviews
He lives in solitude beneath the city, an exile from society, which will destroy him if he is ever seen. She dwells in seclusion, a fugitive from enemies who will do her harm if she is ever found. But the bond between them runs deeper than the tragedies that have scarred their lives. Something more than chance—and nothing less than destiny—has brought them together in a wo ...more
Published December 10th 2013 by Bantam (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Innocence, please sign up.

John Huntington Yes and the guy who did it, did a great job
Lisa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Alejandro
This novel was of those cases where you begin to read it and you are sure at that early point that you will give it a 5-star rating, then the story was still in the first part and there were some moments not very entertaining and then you know that you are enjoying the reading but the book will get a 4-star rating as best, but certainly not less than that, and bam! in the final "laps" of the run, in the third part, you don't understand why such a simple and enjoyable story gets so complicated an ...more
Evie
Dec 10, 2013 Evie rated it it was amazing
What started off as a lyrical story of a boy rejected and tormented by the society, ended up in a completely mind-blowing way. Koontz took his already skilled, captivating and meaningful prose to a whole new level of *what-the-f**k-have-I-just-read*. This book is not what it initially seems to be. It's so much more than that. It's different from his previous novels - and, boy, you won't believe just HOW different it is! I know it will stay with me for a very long time and I will probably never b ...more
Maciek
Dean Koontz's latest novel is a little better than most of his recent works, but is still not a good book. I read it because my curiosity got better of me - the book actually got good reviews, and for the first time in years more people on Amazon gave it a positive rating rather than the negative - so I had to see for myself.

All of Koontz's novels are stories of the ancient conflict of good versus evil, and it seems to me that the closer he gets to knocking on heaven's door the more he's into sp
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I don't know how I feel about this book. I liked it, I love so many of Koontz books, but I don't know. Sometimes I think it's because I'm tired or in some kind of mood that a book doesn't hit me the right way. Or maybe I just liked it okay and there is no other reason, but you, the reader of this review.. why should you care? Read what you want and decide for yourself :)

This book is sorta like Beauty & the Beast.

But it's not like Addison (beast) goes out
Tom Tabasco
Dec 18, 2013 Tom Tabasco rated it did not like it
I really don't mean any disrespect to the author or his readers, but I genuinely wonder how in the world anybody could call this a good novel, when it reads as if it was written by a 13 year old. No, the prose is excellent - i'm talking about the content.

This is nothing more than a young adult novel, or, even worse, the novelization of a manga comic book, even though I hope today's teenagers are fed with something better than this shallow, lazy and unimaginative stuff.

However, if you have a tas
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Apr 30, 2013 Dustin Crazy little brown owl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: J.S. Bailey
I absolutely loved this story until chapter 73 (approximately the final 35 pages) :-( From then on it was a disappointing disaster. Wow!

Until Chapter 73, these are my thoughts as I was reading Innocence: Amazing, Beautiful, Sweet, Delightful. A story of Love, Friendship, Trust, Destiny, Time and the Magic of Life. In chapter 73, information is given to the reader about the two main characters and at that point it was make it or break it for me. I saw that Dean would either blast off into a rocke
Carbunkle Flux
Jan 03, 2014 Carbunkle Flux rated it did not like it
I remember reading Ticktock by Dean Koontz and being surprised at how clever, creative and simultaneously intense it was. So naturally, I gravitated towards this book when I read the description. It sounded interesting! I mean, a man who can't be seen and a woman who can't be touched finding each other and escaping bad guys? Sure, why not.

Innocence, in actuality, is a simultaneously entrancing and frustrating book.

At first, I was intrigued by Addison Goodheart, the book's main character. He was
Susan May
Mar 22, 2014 Susan May rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Long-winded pointless descriptions, especially toward the end seem to be written by someone studying creative writing & not a bestseller whose sold 450 million books.

A plot that doesn't know what story it wants to tell, a lack of any suspense or good character development are just some of the reasons this book is a bore.

I've had enough of Koontz's religious overtones & increasingly bloated style. He used to be a great genre writer but something has gone wrong in the past decade with him
Monnie
Dec 14, 2013 Monnie rated it it was amazing
Eloquent. Thought-provoking. Simple. Complex. How do I love thee? Those are just some of the ways. Without doubt, this is one of the best, most beautiful books I've ever read. I couldn't wait for it to end, yet I kept clinging to the hope that it wouldn't.

To be sure, it's a story of good versus evil; it's full of fantasy, mysticism, hope and love interspersed with plenty of thrills and chills. It's Romeo and Juliet against the world, though not necessarily the world as we know it - but then agai
Max
Dec 10, 2013 Max rated it it was amazing
Beyond brilliant, possibly the best fiction I have ever read. Fantastic twist - don't read any spoilers, just let the story unfurl as told by the author. I am blown away by the quality of the writing and the story line. It's just perfect!
J.S. Bailey
Jun 03, 2013 J.S. Bailey rated it really liked it
Whoa. Whoa, whoa, whoa.

(A more coherent review will come later after I have pondered the touching eerieness of this novel.)

Okay, I'm back!

First of all, many thanks to Crazy Dustin for his part in helping me obtain this ARC. And thanks to Random House for sending out the ARCs, and thanks to Dean Koontz himself for writing this story and even signing it.

[Clears throat]

To begin, Innocence reminds me of Koontz's Odd Thomas and Chris Snow books because it is told in the first-person from the point of
Tracy
May 04, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
O.M.G. Has Koontz gone modern? Is he dabbing in the apocalyptic world? Could he be starting something new? I absolutely LOVED this book! My head is reeling so I will have to come back for the review. Need to sort some things out.

Addison is a creature of the night living in the bowels of the city with no companionship or even the thought of ever having anyone to converse with much less be drawn to until the night in the library when he sees Gwyneth. She quickly becomes his confidant and friend. G
Deborah
Dec 14, 2013 Deborah rated it did not like it
I was sorely disappointed with this book. It's been obvious to me that Mr. Koontz was gearing up to write a book involving biblical lore and I really wish he hadn't gone there. I'm in mourning today for one of my favorite authors. :(
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 16, 2013 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well again I find myself in the minority about a given book. This book will be hard to review in any detail without spoilers. I'll try and then maybe put a few remarks in under a spoiler tag.

First I vacillated a little here between 4 and 5 stars and finally went with my old rule that "it's a 5 star read to me". In the end our judgements about most anything will be at least somewhat subjective. Movies, music, TV shows, food, drinks...pets and books will be "our judgements"

Well at least I hope the
LaDonna
Oct 19, 2013 LaDonna rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
To get the technical stuff out of the way, I won a free ARC through the GoodReads First Reads giveaways.

Many years ago I read everything Koontz had written, but fell away from reading the horror genre in general well over a decade ago. I remember that I had always liked his writing style for the genre, but again, it has been a long time since I've picked up anything by him. When I read the synopsis in the giveaways I decided to enter to win it as it sounded like an unusual read.

An unusual read i
Diamond Cowboy
Oct 08, 2015 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing
Dean Koontz is an amazing writer in my opinion. This book was about the end times and the ones who make it through the final count down.
The charictor development was incredible and the story line was riveting.
I recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Bark's Book Nonsense
I never quite know what I’m in for when I start a new novel by Dean Koontz. He’s written some books that I love to death and a few others that put me to sleep. He was also one of the first authors I read as a young teen so I always grab his new books hoping for the best but bracing for the worst. This time it worked out and it didn’t turn out to be another “Your Heart Belongs To Me” or “Velocity” with jerky protagonists who annoyed me from beginning to end.

I read this on audio and took all kinds
Ti
Dec 23, 2013 Ti rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-sent-to-me
The Short of It:

Interesting characters and setting, but lacking that special something that makes you think about a book long after reading it.

The Rest of It:

One can argue that Dean Koontz does not write books with substance. Yes, his books lately have been a little different from the books of his past. I guess his books have always been page turners, meant to captivate a reader for a short amount of time, but some of his older books have stayed with me for decades.

This is not one of those times
Monique
Jan 20, 2014 Monique rated it did not like it
What the? Huh? Yup my first one-star book of the year and it took an unheard of week to read and seriously I really tried to get into this one and was sadly super sadly disappointed..I thought from the beginning I was getting a Beauty and the Beast retelling and then when elements of the supernatural crept in I still was willing to ride, when another strange secluded girl comes in the picture and there seems to be a friendship/romance I was with it but when they never fully explain anything, whe ...more
Crystal Craig
May 19, 2013 Crystal Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, owned-print
I've been staring at the computer screen for ten minutes thinking about what to say about Dean Koontz's latest offering. The first thing that comes to mind, thank God it was better than his previous book, 77 Shadow Street; I suffered through that one.

I love the cover on this book. It's what first got my attention. The plot sounded really good too. Let's just say I had high hopes for this book and I was not disappointed for the first half. I enjoyed the main character, Addison. He was unique and
Karen
Dec 17, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Quite probably the best book I read this year. Once again, Dean shows not only his incredible imagination but also the depths of his compassion for the unwanted, the unloved, the marginalized in our society.

Written in first person, this is the story of Addison Goodheart's life as an outcast. He stumbles into a mystery and learns much more than he expected!
Paul Nash
3 stars and it would have been 3.5 if not for that jumbled ending.

I grew up on Koontz. By age 10-11, I was reading his 70's and 80's classics and absolutely loved them! In the 90's he changed a bit but still put out some good reads. It's when the 2000's came that he has disappointed me, kind of let me down. The writing is nowhere near as good as back in the day for old Dean.
This would have and could have been about 4 stars, because the concept was great. There were a couple of mysteries thru th
Christine
Dec 18, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Addison Goodheart spent his whole life believing he was a monstrosity so horrible that the mere sight of his eyes sent people into such a rage of fear that they were immediately possessed of the notion they had to kill him. Even his own mother, although she did her best for 8 years, eventually felt the need to send him away. Finding his way to the city, happenstance led him to meet another in the same circumstance and the new “father” and son lived hidden away under the city for years. After his ...more
♥ Marlene♥

What happened to Dean Koontz. Does he like Ann Rule have someone else write his books?

Back when I was a teen the day that King or Koontz books were published translated into Dutch cause I did not read English back then) I would buy and devour them.
I have been such a big fan of both readers but alas I have to say Dean Koontz is really lacking lately.

What was the name of his not so old book, quite recent about a house? ah .. 77 Shadow Street, that was so terrible and alas this is the same.

Terrible
Amy Lignor
Dec 20, 2013 Amy Lignor rated it it was amazing
This author is one who never stops surprising readers. In fact, this new novel will leave some absolutely breathless, as Koontz builds an incredible plot that not only offers his signature ‘eerie’ moments, but also delves into love, loss, and attempting to find one’s identity by having to deal with the blatant sins and vices every human carries with them.

In the simplest of terms, we have a young man who is anything but simple. He has escaped pain and death from flames, bullying, and became a soc
Nick Iuppa
Nov 03, 2015 Nick Iuppa rated it really liked it
kari
Jan 15, 2014 kari rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I'm not sure what I think of this one, so not sure exactly what rating to give it.
While I liked it, there was much that didn't seem to really be necessary to the overall arc, some of it was gruesome and disturbing and, again, didn't seem to be vital to the story. I haven't run into that before in a Koontz book so that surprised me or maybe I simply didn't see the reasoning behind it. I think I understand what was being said, but still, there were bits that I didn't feel quite fit.
It is also quit
Chris
Jun 15, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Probably one of the most intriguing and unusual novels he's written to date, Koontz introduces us to Addison Goodheart, born with a visage that inspires hatred and revulsion, and cast out into the wilderness by his troubled mother at eight years old. Eventually, Addison finds his way to a vast metropolis and taken in to live underground by a man he later thinks of as Father, who teaches him how to stay hidden and survive. Because he and Addison are two of a kind, and staying away from the fearfu ...more
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
Nov 16, 2015 Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk) rated it really liked it
It is not a horror story "per se". It is not a thriller neither. Dean Koontz wrote a beautiful novel about mankind, about our fears and pains, about human souls hidden deep within, scared to reveal themselves. "Innocence" escapes simple descriptions and leaves a mark on the reader.
Patrick Lee
Jan 17, 2014 Patrick Lee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Koontz fans
Recommended to Patrick by: Wife
I think that reviews are tempered by the reader/reviewer’s tastes. My own gravitate toward books that have a high fantasy aspect to the storyline. I was very pleased to have received one of these kinds of books, a copy of Mr. Koontz’ latest novel, Innocence: A Novel, as a Christmas present. In that mindset, I anxiously opened the book jacket, read the blurb, and smiled. A boy who lives in the bowels of the city, whose life is in jeopardy should anyone see him. A girl who lives upstairs, her own ...more
  • Vatican Waltz
  • The Dark Symphony
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2)
  • Rolling in the Deep (Hawaiian Heroes Book 2)
  • Chase
  • Nevermore
  • Enchantment's Reach
  • The Squidder
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Rasputin's Shadow (Templar, #4)
  • Once Upon a Lie (Maeve Conlon, #1)
  • Made of Stone
  • End of Story
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Chasing Jenna
  • Day One

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Innocence (2 books)
  • Wilderness

“Each book is a mind alive, a life revealed, a world awaiting exploration, but living people are all those things, as well—and more, because their stories haven’t yet been completely told.” 50 likes
“Love is absorbing, related to affection but stronger, full of appreciation for—and delight in—the other person, marked by a desire always to please and benefit her or him, always to smooth the loved one’s way through the roughness of the days and to do everything possible to make her or him feel profoundly valued.” 21 likes