What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Winter's End
This topic is about Winter's End
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teens set out to save overly controlled society from dog-human hybrids [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (last edited Aug 11, 2014 03:12PM) (new)

Maggie | 6 comments It's a dystopian utopia novel. I the story takes place in winter and it follows 4 teens. Two girls and two boys who are in a boarding school. A student leaving class must go with a buddy and another students name is picked randomly and if one of the students do not return, the child who's name was picked gets sent to a prison like basement in solitude and has to stay till the other students come back.There is said to be a picture on one of the walls of the basement of the sun in a beautiful sky with clouds that encourages anyone sent there if seen.
There are dog-men who keep everyone in check.
In the beginning the two girls leave class together to go to the library, i think and meet two male students. They aren't allowed to talk the boys but one of the girls (girl 1) has a connection with one of the other students, (boy 1), and they learn their parents tried to stop the government but ended up getting killed, so boy 1 and girl 1 decide to finish what their parents started. Boy and girl 2 are forced to join them. The girls do this knowing that one of their friends will be sent to the basement.
The dog men and the "police" try to stop them and hunt them down. Boy 2 goes off with girl 1. They tried to hide on the room of a cabin but the boy slips on snow or something and he gets caught by the dog people and there masters. He gets sent to a place where he has to learn to fight others and kill his opponent or die trying in an auditorium like jail. He trains and fights till he is put to fight an elderly man. He refuses to fight this man and at that moment, the prisoners break down the barriers and start to escape. If i remember correctly in the chaos he gets in a fight with another prisoner who hated him and he dies. In the end girl 1 and boy 1 seem to be caught at the city gates but the girl sings and finally gets control of her special voice and her singing stops everything, I think the human hybrids are overtaken by her voice. They open the gate and they save everyone.
I hope this is enough information lol. I read this book in middle school in around 2008 and now cant remember the name of the book! If you know it or even character or an authors name I would be so grateful to you. :)

message 2: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 6 comments Hey, I solved this on my own! found it when I did a quick search in Google.
Its called Winter's End by Jean-Claude Mourlevat, Anthea Bell

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 98 comments I went to add this to my to-read list because it sounds interesting and saw it was already there. My list is so long.

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 6 comments Lol, that has happened to me too many times to count but it's good because it reminds me why i had it on my list and i remember to get it.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Winter's End for the click.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Winter's End (other topics)