Pagan Fiction discussion

Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Blevins | 3 comments Hi,

I just joined the group. I've read the Stonewylde books but none of the others in the list. Any recommendations on one to start with?

Thanks,
Jay

message 2: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) My favourite is " The Moon Garden " by Wendy Mewes.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Blevins | 3 comments Thanks! I just finished it. A fun read.

message 4: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) I'm currently reading, and enjoying " Magician's Law " by Michael Scott.

message 5: by Jay (new)

Jay Blevins | 3 comments I read Forbidden Magic - A Druid Born....LOVED it.

message 6: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins is one of my favorite books.

message 7: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments Three words: Charles de Lint.

I know people who know me think I sound like a broken record when I recommend his books, but they're great magical realism tales that are based in mythology and involve Pagan and fey characters.

message 8: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I like Charles de Lint.

message 9: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) I am currently enjoying " The Mark Of A Druid " by Rhonda R. Carpenter. However, I must admit that I am not reading it, but, rather, listening to the podcast, wherein Rhonda R. Carpenter read the book.

I just know I am going to have to buy a hard copy when I get to the end of the podcasts.

message 10: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments Mawgojzeta wrote: "I like Charles de Lint."

Well met, then! It's always nice to meet another de Lint fan... His work doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

Ancestral wrote: "I am currently enjoying 'The Mark Of A Druid' by Rhonda R. Carpenter..."

I've heard some great things about that book. In fact I keep meaning to find a copy. Is it as good as I have been told?

message 11: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) The audio version is amazing, apart from the author's strange way of pausing. The storyline just rolls on at a fast pace, back and forth in time. Am definitely going to get a hard copy and read it.

message 12: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Mar 17, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Mawgojzeta I just read a book of poetry by Elizabeth Cunningham. She is a pagan fiction and poetry writer. I had never heard of her before, but very much enjoyed both her poetry book Small Bird and her Rumpelstiltskin retelling called How to Spin Gold: A Woman's Tale.

Correction: Peni actually had posted her name in one of the other topics, I am guessing that is how Cunningham ended up on my TBR list.

message 13: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments Does anyone know if M. R. Sellers' Rowan Gant novels are good? I love mysteries, and a Pagan mystery series sounds fantastic, but, as I can't find these books at the library, I'd like to know a little more before I begin buying them.

message 14: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Sidhe: Ask your librarian about doing an ILL. I get the majority of my books that way. In fact, I get so many that way, they finally gave me my own login and password to get into that system for our area.

message 15: by Joseph (last edited Mar 19, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 4 comments Sidhe wrote: "Does anyone know if M. R. Sellers' Rowan Gant novels are good? I love mysteries, and a Pagan mystery series sounds fantastic, but, as I can't find these books at the library, I'd like to know a li..."

The first three in the Rowan Gant series were very good, but I didn't care much for the direction the series went after those.

message 16: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments Mawgojzeta wrote: "Sidhe: Ask your librarian about doing an ILL. I get the majority of my books that way. In fact, I get so many that way, they finally gave me my own login and password to get into that system for our area."

I may have to do that. I get most of my study material on Celtic lore that way.

Joseph wrote: "The first three in the Rowan Gant series were very good, but I didn't care much for the direction the series went after those. "

Thanks!

message 17: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments Does anyone know if Dark Birthright is good?

message 18: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Sidhe wrote: "Does anyone know if Dark Birthright is good?"

Just saw this post. It looks interesting. Did you decide to read it? If yes, what did you think?

message 19: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 9 comments I'm afraid it's still on my To Read list... So many books, so little time. :)

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments I think it would be bad manners to suggest my own novel, so I'll just mention that I loved Katherine Kurtz's Lammas Night.

message 21: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) I truly enjoyed Sarah Addison Allen's " Garden Spells " and will be looking for more of her books in the future.

message 22: by Stephen (last edited Aug 05, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Stephen Pearl (stephenp11) | 10 comments If I may be totally self serving here I suggest The Hollow Curse by Stephen B. Pearl, a centuries spanning tale of love and obsession avalable in e-book from Club Lighthouse Publishing. It deals with the restoration of the Pagan principles of projective and receptive magic. As well the two leads in their curient incarnation are on a Druidic path. The book touches on several incarnations so in others they are more wiccan. You can read the first chapter for free at www.stephenpearl.com
The book was writen by a card carrying Pagan,I think I still have the card the C.E.S. sent me tucked somwhere in my wallet. :-)

message 23: by Sammie (new)

Sammie Spencer (SammieSpencer) | 1 comments Hi there! My name is Sammie Spencer and I'm the author of Eagleton Coven: Amaretto Flame. The book is a fiction, paranormal romance, with strong pagan and wiccan ties. These are present in the described beliefs and practices of the coven. I wanted to recommend it to the group - I'd love to get some feedback from fellow pagans. Thanks so much!

Amaretto Flame (Eagleton Coven) by Sammie Spencer

message 25: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Serna (ulliowl) | 1 comments I found this book at the library Spirit Dances:The Walker Papers #6 by C.E. Murphy.

It was interesting was wondering if any of yall had read it. What did you think of her books?

message 26: by Lorie (new)

Lorie Adair (goodreadscomuser_lorieadair) | 1 comments Lorie Adair's Spider Woman's Loom; Navajo culture meets the occult.