What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book maybe from nineties, not a series, about a woman trying to find a serial killer who unknowingly winds up dating him. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bren fall in love with the sea. (last edited Jun 08, 2018 02:10PM) (new)

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments I am seeking a book I read about a woman who is trying to solve multiple murders and winds up getting involved, unknowingly with the killer.

SPOILERS ABOUND:
I do remember the killer's name which is Brian.

As I recall there are TWO killers revealed and Brian is one of them. I think the second killer MAYBE related to him..possibly his dad or brother.

I seem to remember Brian was a quiet nice guy and he was not revealed to be one of the killers until toward the end of the book.

They corner the lady, whose name I cannot remember in her house at the end but she does get away.

Just want to add this was not a "cosy" mystery nor part of a series if that helps.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36585 comments Mod
Bren, can you tell us more about the main characters - their jobs/skills/interests, how she meets Brian, etc.?

What do the victims have in common?

What's the time period and location (country, region, big city/small town)?

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments Hi Kris. I am trying to remember but it was a long time ago. I can tell you I think the female main character was in law enforcement and it took place in a suburb. I remember that. United States. But have no idea what state.

Brian was quiet..I remember that..I think they were just starting to date and had not become seriously involved yet when she realized he was one of the killers. I distinctly remember there were two killers and I think the second one was his dad or brother.

The victims were all female I believe. I know there are millions of crime novels so it maybe difficult to find. I thought knowing the first name of the murderer might make it easier. That's honestly all I can remember about it.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
Bren is still looking for this and wrote:

"SPOILERS:

There is a woman investigating the killings and she gets romantically involved with one of the killers, not knowing he is in fact the killer.

I cannot remember if she falls in love with the dad or the son.

The twist at the end reveals the dad and son are BOTH the killers. I think she is a journalist but maybe a cop. They try to kill her but she gets away.

I remember one of the two guys..maybe the son? Is very shy and does not talk much.

It would have to be at least 20 years old maybe more. I am guessing it came out in the Nineties.

Any help would be appreciated."

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Your description has some similarities with In the Cut, although I don't think there are any characters called Brian in it.

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments Hi. I read In The cut and it is not that book but thank you so much for the suggestion.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1434 comments Wasn't the h in a car accident where she was run off the road and she was in a coma?

message 8: by Kris (last edited May 09, 2019 03:24PM) (new)

Kris | 36585 comments Mod
Does the serial killer have a "trademark" or particular way of killing his victims? What do the female victims have in common?

Can you tell us more about the heroine - her age, marital status, family/friends/pets, skills/interests, personal issues, personality, etc.? Does she work for public law enforcement (local/federal) or private clients? Does she have a partner?

Crime, mystery or romantic suspense? Cat and mouse - is she being stalked/taunted?

What's the time period and location (country/region/city) of the story?

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments OK..Amber in answer to your question I do not remember that scene but that doesn't mean anything. Do you have the title?

Single. Reporter or police officer. Romantic suspense. She falls in love with one of the killers.

Suburbs. I do remember that. I do not know if the killer has a particular way of killing victims but the killer is revealed to be a father and son.

It would have come out I think in the nineties.

message 10: by Rosa (last edited May 09, 2019 05:02PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Dexter Is Dead sounds like it has similar elements, but it's too new.

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments I have not read that but checked and it is not the book. Thank you though.

message 12: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1434 comments Bren wrote: "OK..Amber in answer to your question I do not remember that scene but that doesn't mean anything. Do you have the title?

What She Doesn't Know by Tina Wainscott was the one I was thinking about. The h isn't a detective. She's a Dr.

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments Thank you Amber. It looks like a good book but is not the one I am seeking. Thank you anyway though.

message 14: by JE (new)

JE | 62 comments Sounds somewhat similar to Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. It’s a stand alone but does have a series character though.

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments I read Kiss the girls quite a long time ago. Not the book but thank you.

message 16: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 169 comments Are you sure it wasn't a series? It sounds alot like this one I read. Born To Die

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments I do not thin k so. I looked up born to die and it does not seem to be the same. I know in my book there were two killers, a father and son.And the lady investigating falls in love with one of the killers.

Is that what happens in born to die?Or could it be another book by same writer?

message 18: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 169 comments Spoilers.

I think it's more one of the brothers was killing and then another brother had to kill someone to clean up part of the mess. Basically covering up the other kills. Kacey falls in love with one of the suspects in the case.

Bren fall in love with the sea. | 288 comments That does sound familiar but I am almost sure the one she falls for is named Brian. Does that sound right?

Even if it isn't, I may have to read this book...

message 20: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 169 comments I don't remember if one of them was named Brian. However, LJ is awesome with twists. However, one of the New Orleans series also falls under the father/son scenario, but she's not dating him if I remember correctly...