Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Random Thoughts > Does anyone know......

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlene (last edited Jun 05, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

Marlene | 251 comments Is there anyone from New York in this group that uses Overdrive or Libby to borrow ebooks or audiobooks? Someone told me that all residents of New York can add the NYC library to their Overdrive account. I'm wondering if this is true, and if so, how to go about doing that.

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 251 comments Someone from my other group gave me a very helpful answer, which I will paste below in case it benefits anyone else.

"To use Overdrive or the Libby app to check out books from the NYC library, you will need to get a card from the NYC library.

From the NYC library website, it looks like all New York State residents can join the NYC library. It looks like you can apply online, then email or fax a copy of your valid ID.

https://www.nypl.org/library-card"

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 251 comments I'm having a frustrating experience with trying to use GR on my Android phone. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and whether they've found a workaround.

Problem 1: My phone forced me to get a new version of the GR app, and the new version is now showing me EVERYTHING in my feed rather than the items I WANT in my feed , which is reviews only. However, when I went to my laptop, my news feed on Chrome was as it usually is.

It SEEMS like it should be possible to make it work the way I want to. However, I've been through all the very limited setting options, and there is just nothing that will allow me to customize what is in my feed. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a workaround?

Problem 2: I gave up on the GR app and have tried going to a browser window. All looked pretty good, except for when I try to view my alerts. When I try to view my alerts, it brings up a screen to reinstall the app. Argh! Any workarounds for this????

If I can't fix this, then I am just going to have to stick with GR on my laptop only, which is a REAL bummer.

message 4: by Toni (new)

Toni (tn_mail) | 37 comments Hi, Marlene. I just found out that I also have installed the updated version on my Android phone. So now I'm getting used to it :/ Haven't found the answer to your Problem 1 yet - it is the same with me. I'm not sure if it even has such a setting. I can ask in the group for suggestions and problems with Goodreads. As for Problem 2 maybe it depends which browser you use and if it's in Mobile mode or Desktop mode. I use Chrome (Mobile version of site) and so far haven't gotten such a problem. I hope you find a solution. :)

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 251 comments Toni, thanks for responding! If you could ask over there, that would be great. This is the second group I'm trying, and I'm hoping there's an answer.

I'm using the mobile version of Chrome. I dislike using the desktop version because I don't want to have to zoom in for every little thing I do. :-/ I'm assuming the desktop version would not have this problem because it would just be the same as using a laptop. So if you click on a red number for a list of alerts, it gives it to you within your Chrome (mobile) window?

message 6: by Toni (new)

Toni (tn_mail) | 37 comments The Chrome behaves just like before, no problems with it whatsoever. It opens my notifications in the corresponding group thread. I don't know why yours is behaving strangely. Maybe you can try the oldtime grand solution for most digital problems - rebooting the phone ;)
I checked and appearantly they are aware of the newsfeed problem and will be working on it. (Another matter entirely is When it will be fixed. O_o) Here is the feedback thread, if you would like to check it:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/comme...

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (clarkecornercleanreads) | 110 comments I have never had issues with GR on my iPhone. But it seems to not have changed a lot since the first time I downloaded it. I wish it was more like the actual website. But the Amazon website they must have changed the phone version. Because I can’t view the Authors pages in the full version on my phone. I even tried a different web browser than safari & it still does. It works fine on my IPad but not my iPhone. I hate when they change things especially when I like it the way it is.

message 8: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 251 comments Toni, that's great to know! I will try to remember to check back. :-)

Heather, yes, changes are always difficult! So often I find things I like AND dislike about changes! But this time, hopefully it will be fixed. As for your issue -- the full version meaning the desktop version as opposed to the mobile version?

message 9: by Be (new)

Be | 20 comments Daria wrote: "Does anyone know of any Gilded Age authors besides Jen Turano? I have tons of Regency but only a tiny collection from the 1890's."

You might look into Elizabeth Camden's books. I know the "Empire State" series is the time period you're looking for. A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1) by Elizabeth Camden