Start by marking “A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)

A Dangerous Legacy

(Empire State #1)

Telegraph operator Lucy Drake is a master of Morse code and has made herself a valuable asset to the Associated Press news agency. But the sudden arrival of Sir Colin Beckwith at rival British news agency Reuters puts her hard-earned livelihood at risk. Colin is talented, handsome, insufferably charming—and keeping a secret that jeopardizes his reputation.

Despi
Published October 3rd 2017 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Dangerous Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dangerous Legacy

Start your review of A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)
Hannah
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this tale of New York, reporters, Morse Code, and danger. It came in the mail today, and I was glad to dive right in. I intended to read a single chapter and get back to the other book I'm reading, but the story grabbed me from the beginning.

Lucy is likable from the start, and it's easy to identify with her longing to find justice and to shake off her uncle's stalkers, who are content to spy on her life and keep her and her brother from realizing their full potential in lif
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I was not expecting the character of Lucy to be what she was in this book- I think the pearls on the cover threw me off. (While there are pearls in the story, I don't believe she ever wears them). Lucy is one determined woman, holding tightly to her values but willing to get a little down and dirty when battling unscrupulous people. Her strength is admirable, and I loved how the author also portrayed her flaws, exhaustion, and yearnings for a different life. She is complex in that way since she ...more
Rachel McMillan
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, Elizabeth Camden's books are just all the ingredients I love. I truly think she is writing for me! She has a masters in history, so her research is unparalleled, she has an easy, accessible writing style, characters and dialogue that leap off the page and a keen sense of time and verisimilitude. But, I think what I find most impressive, is the ease in which she excavates snippets of history not usually explored onto which she shines the spotlight of her inimitable narrative style.
Grace Mullins
Feb 27, 2017 marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Camden has a second book releasing in 2017? Um, YES! YES, YES, YES! *wants book now* *right now*
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Lucy Drake's mastery of Morse code has made her a valuable asset to the American news agencies as a telegrapher. But the sudden arrival of Sir Colin Beckwith at rival British news agency Reuters puts her hard-earned livelihood at risk. Newly arrived from London, Colin is talented, handsome, and insufferably charming.
Despite their rivalry, Lucy realizes Colin's connections could be just what her family needs to turn the tide of their long legal battle over the fort
Jamie
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another book by Elizabeth Camden means another excellent read! What makes her such a strong writer, is her ability to remain fitting and true to the time period she chooses, but also makes the plot intriguing and gives you a heroine you can root for.

I enjoyed the relationship between Colin and Lucy. There were some frustrations (which again, were very fitting for the time period), but I thought Camden did an excellent job with that part of the story.

I really liked Lucy (a
Aerykah
What an adventure this was! From apartments to mansions, from the sewers to an asylum, and more!  There were, secrets, intrigue, suspicions, spying, encrypted messages, a psycho doctor..... *deep breath* ...and of course, there was romance too. ;)

This isn't a very fast-paced book at first.  I kinda wish it was, but it's not.  While I was very much enjoying the story, it was still pretty easy to put down and set aside for a while... which is exactly what I ended up doing for a couple of weeks about hal
Jocelyn Green
I would give this book 10 stars if I could. Equal parts fascinating, intruiging, and entertaining. Plenty of rich history for my taste. There were so many twists and turns, I was kept guessing until the last chapter, which resolved everything perfectly. The characters were fully-developed and completely loveable (except the ones you love to hate). I will read everything Camden writes forever.
Staci
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Enjoyable!

I loved the history woven into this novel...AP and Reuters, transpacific transmissions and water valves. So interesting!

While I didn't love main characters Colin and Lucy, they definitely had admirable traits and I especially liked the names they had for each other: "London" and "Yankee". The inclusion of carrier pigeons was a nice touch.

I look forward to Nick's story in book two.
Cassie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truth: the last few books I've read of Elizabeth Camden's have been slightly disappointing. Nothing has lived up to Against the Tide, which I adore.

I am so happy to say this is my second favorite Camden book, coming second only to Against the Tide.

I loved it. It was exciting and there was danger involved, but not too much. And the characters were delightful.

So glad I read this one!
Alicia
So much happened in this book and I loved reading it all! The story opens up the world of telegraphy at the beginning of the 20th century and follows Lucy and Colin, two people passionate about their work and with troubles of their own. A heartless uncle, a crumbling English manor, homing pigeons and a trek in the sewers of New York are just a few of the things that make their way into this book.

The banter between Colin and Lucy was fun to read and the sparks between them shot throug
Kellyn Roth
Nov 21, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
I got distracted. There's not a thing wrong with the book. :P However, I'm going to have to pick it up at a later time. I don't know why, but for some reason, there were months on end when I couldn't pick up a book and make myself finish it ... but I will finish this one later. For now, it just goes back on my "to-be-read" shelf.

.........

I just DNFed this book a second time. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME! Every time I start this book, I read the first chapter and get
Randi
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lucy Drake works for Associated Press in New York, helping to distribute updates to newspapers all over America by Morse code.
Her brother Nick is a plumber working to supply tenants of New York's multi storey apartment buildings with running water. He does this in secret as Lucy and Nick have a longstanding lawsuit against their uncle concerning the plumbing invention their father did right before he went off to war. Their father’s invention makes Nick’s work in the apartment buildings technica
Loraine
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Camden's historical fiction always captures my attention. This story is filled with suspense, danger, romance, and history. Focusing on the beginning of the competition between England's Reuters News Agency and the United States own Associated Press News Agency, the two agencies are constantly competing for getting the news out the fastest. Lucy Drake is the only woman telegrapher for AP and Sir Colin Beckwith is the manager of the Reuter's office in New York.

I loved the twists and tu
Jerry
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable historical romance.
Rachelle Cobb
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of Dickens’ Bleak House.
Diane Estrella
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There were several times while reading this book, that I had to put it down.... NOT due to poor writing or storytelling, but because I was getting nervous for these characters. I was actually worried that this story would not have a happily-ever-after ending!

I have read almost all of Elizabeth Camden's books and she is most definitely a "go-to" author for me. Her stories are always solid and she takes her own personal passions throughout history and gets her readers to care about them as well.
Emily
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best of this genre that I've read in 2017. I'm not going to go into an incredible amount of detail here, since it's been over a month since I read it, but I felt like I should give this book at least a sliver of what it deserves.

The history. SO rich. So seamlessly inviting. It's not EVERY day that you get to travel the sewer systems of New York.

The characters. Beautifully flawed, yet redeemed. I actually was a bit wary of the FMC and her brother at first, because t
Charity Andrews
One thing that you can always know you'll get when you pick up an Elizabeth Camden novel is history. I'm not talking about a time period, necessarily, but a lifestyle. You will learn so much about the era she chooses to write in. You will learn how they lived, worked and loved.

This time she takes us to the Turn of the Century. In a time of booming industry, factories, wires, and even plumbing, she intertwines a beautiful story. Of course, there is much more than that to it! You can c
Cathy Daniel
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to give this book 5+++++ stars! Who knew Morse code could be so intriguing and romantic! ;)
E.F.B.
Note: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, but was not asked for a review of any kind in exchange. I'm am only writing this review because I like sharing my bookish thoughts and opinions. :-)

I have not read any books by Elizabeth Camden before and probably would not have for a while had I not won this book, so she was a completely new author to me and I did not know what to expect going in. Overall, it wasn't bad at all. I really enjoyed the historical elements like talk of the l
Clara
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Elizabeth Camden's books are so quirky that they fill your heart with fuzzy feelings and make a silly smile impossible to be hidden.
Plus, she has the talent to pick "simple" historical facts/inventions (many things we might actually take for granted today) and spin a fascinating story that grows very strongly in your heart. And the way she ties all these little details to support the main plot is truly astonishing. Maybe you've heard that her novels are veeery detailed, but no fear, there'
Charlene
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A spy, a bold telegraph operator, Messenger pigeons and morse code. It eventually kept me very entertained!

It started a little slow for me but I really enjoyed the second half.

I really liked Lucy I thought she was very bold and brave. Her courage really shines through this story. However I didn’t like Colin much even at the end!

I like that the author lead the story to a very dangerous edge :)

This was my first by Elizabeth Camden and I look forward to reading more in the fire.

I also listened
Kelly Bridgewater
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Dangerous Legacy by Elizabeth Camden is a unique historical novel that takes place during the early twentieth century. One thing I really enjoy about Camden's novels is her ability to bring the technology we use every day to the forefront of my imagination in a fictionalized story. I'm always drawn into the trouble the characters find themselves in while learning something about the great inventions that have made life easier for modern day life.

Camden does a great job at writing
Rebekah Gyger
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read plenty of novels in my life in which Morse code played a part in the narrative, however this is the first time I have seen it played out in the setting of a newspaper industry. The history between AP and Reuters was something that I enjoyed learning about, along with how new stories were dispersed in that day. Sometimes it is difficult to wrap my mind around the realization the internet is not as old as it seems to those of us who cannot remember a time without it, and that the sprea ...more
Kav
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is something so decadent about an edge-of-you-seat suspense paired with historical romance! And this one is riveting. Deeply intricate story threads woven into a complex pattern of loss and greed and vengeance. A villian who has "...no soul and that let him fight with the single-minded zeal of a jackal." (p 12) and a heroine determined to stand up for what is right and just though it alters the course of her life in devastating ways. A family legacy of sorts that has ensnared both Lucy and ...more
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A DANGEROUS LEGACY is the first book of Ms. Camden's newest series. I am seriously behind in reading her books so I have several in my to-be-read as-soon-as-possible pile beside me. I was glad this is the first book of the series so I didn't have to figure out what order to read them in.

I liked Colin, a British hero, with an accent and a sense of humor. What's not to like? Plus, he used homing pigeons which was a unique twist. Lucy is somewhat prickly, but understandable since she is being stal
Rebecca
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Colin remained motionless for a full minute after the door slammed. Lucy Drake was as attractive as he remembered. He wished she wasn't."

Battling decades of law suits regarding the rights to a family invention, Lucy Drake and her brother Nicholas, are exhausted with their attempts for full disclosure and justifiable inheritance. As a telegraph operator with the Associated Press, Lucy discovers an unlikely ally within the rival British news agency Reuters, a Sir Colin Beckwith, when information
Amy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comps
Every Elizabeth Camden novel -- and I've read them all -- is the exact same experience for me: a brilliant, unique premise hooks me in, historical details keep me interested, then a wild plot twist skews the story into another tangent that, more often than not, completely overshadows the original plot of the book and leaves me scratching my head. Fortunately, this was one of the "not's." While A Dangerous Legacy still veered in a completely different direction than I'd been led to expect by the back c ...more
Lucinda
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read one of Elizabeth Camden's books, it's my new favorite. I love all her stories—how can I possibly choose? I have all her ebooks. Now I need to start getting the paperbacks.

I loved Lucy and Colin. Such depth to these characters. Their relationship was a delight to read, sweet, funny, tense at times, and so romantic.

As usual, the historical part of the book was fascinating. The author's profession is really put to good use.

Highly recommend this one.

Looking forward t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Romance Book Budd...: A Dangerous Legacy - September 19 23 6 Sep 23, 2019 10:16AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Mar 15, 2017 11:23PM

• No Way Up (The Cimarron Legacy, #1)
  • Refuge at Pine Lake (Pine Haven)
  • Her Last First Kiss: Christian Cowboy Romance (Last Chance Ranch Romance Book 1)
  • All of You (Carrington Family #2)
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • A Cowboy's Reunion (Family Ties, #1)
  • A Song Unheard (Shadows Over England, #2)
  • The Lacemaker
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • A Doctor's Promise (Lifeline Air Rescue #1)
  • Perilous Treasure (Jack Turner Suspense Series Book 4)
  • Tangled in Time (Miss Main Street #1)
  • Help Me, Hold Me (Full Heart Ranch #5)
  • Love of the Summerfields (Manor House #1)
  • An Amish Reward: An Amish Romance Inspired by a Beloved Bible Story
  • An Hour Unspent (Shadows Over England, #3)
  • On the Lookout (Lantern Beach P.D. #1)
  • Some Say Love` (Hope #3)

Empire State (3 books)
  • A Daring Venture (Empire State, #2)
  • A Desperate Hope (Empire State, #3)
“I can build things to make life better for the people around me. And when I do that, I feel God smiling on me.” 0 likes