The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

76 views
TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Bookwrm526's Task: I DO Have a Sense of Humor!!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5364 comments Mod
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Bookwrm526's Task: I DO have a sense of humor!!

My husband argues that I don’t have a sense of humor, because there are certain movies he calls classics that I just don’t find funny. The options for this task are loosely inspired by those movies. This is a one book task, so pick from any of the following options:
Required: Indicate the option in your post.

Option 1: Airplane! He thinks this movie is hilarious and will watch it any time it’s on television. There is only one line in the entire movie that makes me laugh. Since this movie is supposedly full of hilarious puns and witty repartee, for this option read a book with a pun in the title.
This list may give you some ideas: Puns in Titles
REQUIRED: state the "classic" phrase that inspired the twist. For example, "we'll always have Paris" and We'll Always Have Parrots.

Option 2: Spaceballs. This is another one with a lot of supposedly snappy dialog that he subjects me to on a regular basis, but I just don’t find funny, though I do find it moderately more amusing than Airplane! For this option, read a book set at least 50% aboard a space ship.
Examples: Across the Universe, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.
REQUIRED: If the setting is not clear from the Goodreads summary, please include information that establishes the setting.

Option 3: Caddyshack. I don’t understand this one at all, but he and his best friend trade quotes from it all the time. I usually just roll my eyes and ignore them. Since this one is set on a golf course, play 18 holes and read a book where the number of pages includes the digits 1 and 8, in any order.


message 2: by Jessica (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:20PM) (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments reserved


message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments reserved


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5364 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments SO for option 1 Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth - phrase - too many cooks spoil the broth?


message 6: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For Option 1, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami is #51, but I can't identify the pun the title refers to. Can't find any answers on Google, either

Any ideas?

Thanks


message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Dee wrote: "SO for option 1 Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth - phrase - too many cooks spoil the broth?"

That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of, yes!


message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Pia wrote: "For Option 1, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakamiis #51, but I can't identify the pun the title refers to. Can't find any answers on Google, either

Any ideas?

Thanks"



I'm not sure, and I think it might be a translation thing? I know 1Q84 is apparently a pun based on a Japanese phrase.


message 9: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Jessica wrote: "Pia wrote: "For Option 1, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakamiis #51, but I can't identify the pun the title refers to. Can't find any answers on Google, either

Any ideas?

Thanks"


I'm not sure, ..."


I don't think it would work, as there's no reference.

I'll pick another book.

Thanks!


message 10: by Trish (last edited Jun 04, 2018 11:21PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2697 comments I've been wanting to do a pun task for ages: cozy mysteries, one of my favourite genres, are full of them! And I love the Donna Andrews ones.


message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Pia wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Pia wrote: "For Option 1, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakamiis #51, but I can't identify the pun the title refers to. Can't find any answers on Google, either

Any ideas?

Thanks"
..."


Pia wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Pia wrote: "For Option 1, Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakamiis #51, but I can't identify the pun the title refers to. Can't find any answers on Google, either

Any ideas?

Thanks"
..."


Sorry about that :( There are a few on that list where I don't see the pun, actually.


message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Trish wrote: "I've been wanting to do a pun task for ages: cozy mysteries, one of my favourite genres, are full of them! And I love the Donna Andrews ones."

My husband asks me all the time why, if I dislike puns so much, I love cozy mysteries and romance novels that have them in the title!


message 13: by Ash (new)

Ash (essentiallyash) | 64 comments Hi! Can you verify Illuminae for being on a space ship?
Thanks!


message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Ashlea wrote: "Hi! Can you verify Illuminae for being on a space ship?
Thanks!"


The Goodreads description and reviews sound like it is mostly set on a spaceship, you're good to go!


message 15: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 989 comments If it is about 80% on the space ship does that qualify? I am looking at 2001: A Space Odyssey


message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "If it is about 80% on the space ship does that qualify? I am looking at 2001: A Space Odyssey"

Absolutely!


message 17: by Melanie (last edited Jun 06, 2018 11:33PM) (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments Okay, let's see if I understand puns

Crowned and Dangerous works for 'armed and dangerous' or no?

alternately / also Natural Blond Instincts for 'natural born instincts'?

Thanks!


message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Melanie wrote: "Okay, let's see if I understand puns

Crowned and Dangerous works for 'armed and dangerous' or no?

alternately / also Natural Blond Instincts for 'natural born insti..."


I think either of those is fine.


message 19: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1272 comments Does Six Wakes work for being on a spaceship?


message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Donna wrote: "Does Six Wakes work for being on a spaceship?"

Absolutely yes!


message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Patricia wrote: "Is I'll Drink to That: A Life in Style, with a Twist a pun? Thanks."

Patricia - I don't think so. "I'll Drink to That" is a common phrase. A pun would be some sort of twist on a phrase such as that.


message 23: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) | 57 comments For option one, would Autoboyography work?


message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Danie wrote: "For option one, would Autoboyography work?"

Sorry it took so long to reply, I couldn't figure out how to do it on the mobile app and I was without computer!

That works for a pun to me!


message 25: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) | 57 comments Jessica wrote: "Danie wrote: "For option one, would Autoboyography work?"

Sorry it took so long to reply, I couldn't figure out how to do it on the mobile app and I was without computer!

That wor..."



Awesome, thank you so much!!


message 26: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Would Paw Enforcement work for option 1?


message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Rina wrote: "Would Paw Enforcement work for option 1?"

Absolutely!


message 28: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Jessica wrote: "Rina wrote: "Would Paw Enforcement work for option 1?"

Absolutely!"


Thank you!


message 29: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 368 comments Late question I know! Would In the Heir work for the phrase in the air?


message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1512 comments Sophie wrote: "Late question I know! Would In the Heir work for the phrase in the air?"

Works for me!


back to top