What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > nonfiction/other: A guide about fairies. Read in 2009

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by meg (last edited Jun 24, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments This book was relatively short. Somewhat over 100 pages but less than 200 pages. This book was guide to fairies but not like the history of fairy folklore from different countries etc. It had guides on different fairy holidays, what attracts fairies, what to do if you end up transported to the fairy realm (fairy etiquette). I specifically remember it saying don't eat the food and that they come out under a special tree maybe an oak? It had a guide on how to make a fairy garden at the very end. It listed a bunch of different flowers that mean something to fairies. I believe it talked about fairy rings? I remember it having beautiful black and white illustrations in it. They were scattered throughout and I don't think it broke any of the text. I have no idea when this book was published but it had to be prior to 2009. I bought the book at a used book sale at my public library in 2009 and I got it at the newer book section. It was paperback and I think it was a little bit smaller than a normal sized book. The covers and spine were both lightish gray. There was a design that framed the title. It either could have been black twisty vines or a fairy. The title was in fancy script or serif/san serif font. I remember that the author was a woman and I believe that the illustrator was also a woman but I'm not 100% certain. There wasn't a subtitle.

message 3: by meg (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments No. That wasn't it. The illustrations were completely black and white. Almost like line drawings. The text was written in paragraph form. Thank you for your help!

message 4: by ༺Kiki༻ (new)

༺Kiki༻ (kim-mari) | 54 comments Perhaps this is your book, Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins, and Other Nasties: A Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate?

Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins, and Other Nasties A Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate by Lesley M.M. Blume

It has fancy script title, simple b&w illustrations, and chapters include:

How to Tell a Good Fairy from a Bad One
How to Protect Yourself from a Dangerous Fairy
Gifts to Give Today’s Fairies
Fairies and Flowers
A Special Note to Those with Gardens
Further Notes on Fairy Rings

Faeries by Brian Froud by Brian Froud includes b&w sketches by Alan Lee, but there are also color plates, so not an exact match.

message 5: by meg (last edited Jun 12, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments Hi Kimari,
I'm not quite sure the first one is the book I read. I would have to see if my local library has it so I can double check. I don't remember the book I read talking about goblins or dwarves.

The second one isn't it. I realized I forgot to mention that the author and illustrator were both women I believe

Thank you for your help!

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This is just a guess: A Faerie Treasury A Faerie Treasury by Jacky Newcomb

message 7: by meg (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments Hi Adele,
No that isn't the book. It Thank you for your help!

message 8: by meg (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments Bump

message 9: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This seems to fit: Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals . Fairies 101 An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals by Doreen Virtue . I looked on Amazon though and the illustrations are color so it's not right. Maybe a different book by the same author? Doreen Virtue

message 10: by meg (last edited Aug 05, 2020 07:11PM) (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments Adele wrote: "This seems to fit: Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working, and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals . [bookcover:Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Work..."

Hi Adele!

I didn't even know you replied again! I am so sorry. I kind of forget about this thread. It could be it. I keep thinking I may have had ARC copy of the fairy book or it was self-published. I think I am giving up on my search! Thank you for your help!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Working with Fairies: Magick, Spells, Potions, & Recipes to Attract & See Them (2005) by Anna Franklin?

Google search of Goodreads:
site:goodreads.com "fairies" "fairy holidays" "attract"

message 12: by meg (new)

meg (megganjulia) | 9 comments I'm not sure. I would have to see if my local library has it so I can check the inside. Thank you.