What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Abandoned
This topic is about Abandoned
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Abandoned, children's book about a stray cat. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb | 3 comments I read this book from my local library (in remote Western Australia) in the mid-1970s. It may have been called 'Abandoned' but it doesn't come up on Google. It was a hard cover children's chapter book with a picture of a grey cat on the dust jacket. The story was written from the perspective of the cat as they were trying to survive in the bush. I think it may have been a female cat with kittens although I'm not entirely sure of that. Would love to track it down again.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Paul Gallico wrote a book called The Abandoned, which I think might have also been published as Jennie. The descriptions of the plots are similar. A boy turns into a cat and a stray, Jennie, helps him survive.

It's set in London, though, not Australia.

message 4: by Deb (new)

Deb | 3 comments Yes, that's it! The cover is just as I remember it. Fabulous! Not sure I will pay A$100 from Amazon for a copy but so great to have found it again. Thank you!

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb | 3 comments Thanks for your reply Sam, but it was Abandoned (1973) by Gordon Douglas Griffiths. Found by Kym in this thread.

message 6: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments You’re welcome Deb. Have a look on EBay for a copy. Good luck.

message 7: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Ha! Who'd have thought that there's be too many books called "Abandoned," told from a cat's POV, with grey cats on the cover?

Too bad you're not in the U.S.; you could pick up a used copy from Amazon for less than $3 (plus shipping). (And too bad it's not my book, which is available for free on the Internet Archive).