Literary Exploration discussion

What Are You Reading > What Are You Reading - August 2014

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Apart from In Cold Blood what are people reading this month?

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm still working on the massive challenge I set myself for my sci-fi/fantasy group but as it's nearing its end I can start squeezing in other books.

I've just started Promise of Blood. I've heard good things.

message 3: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments To begin with I'll be finishing up We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves as it was the only book from the Booker Longlist that had made it firmly onto my radar this year prior to the list's release.

When that's done I will probably move on to Jamaica Inn as it's a group read in one of my other groups and also on one of my challenges for the year.

I've won a giveaway for The One You Love which will get slotted in when it turns up and I'm hoping to read All the Light We Cannot See in the next month or so as well.

If I can track down a copy of In Cold Blood I will be trying to fit that in too!

message 4: by Traveling Diva (new)

Traveling Diva (travelingdiva) Philippa wrote: "To begin with I'll be finishing up We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves as it was the only book from the Booker Longlist that had made it firmly onto my radar this year prior to t..."

I loved Rebecca and am interested in how you find Jamaica Inn as not all du Maurier's are impressed with it.

I've got to finish Captain Pantoja and the Special Service: A Novel in early August for my book club, and also plan to (re)read The Grapes of Wrath and then I'm not sure what will come after that.

message 5: by Lucia (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:43AM) (new)

Lucia Chambers | 3 comments Hello! I just started reading The Goldfinch: A Novel (Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) Hardcover – October 22, 2013 by Donna Tartt. I recently read some scathing reviews about this book being more for children! So I wanted to evaluate it for myself. I do love magic realism but have been cautioned this book is a little too basic a storyline. I can't wait to dig deeper and find out.

message 6: by Trudie (new)

Trudie (trudieb) Hi I am new in here, this month my reading will be Booker Longlist focused and I hope to soon finish The Blazing World and to follow that up with We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves and The Narrow Road to the Deep North and squeezed in there will be The Long Goodbye for my F2F bookgroup

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I will soon finish A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the Literary Exploration Insane Challenge, and I'll probably also read Death with Interruptions for that challenge as well.

I want to get back to reading some classics so maybe The Sun Also Rises or some other Hemingway novel for that pick. And there is always a mystery novel in my stack so The Cruelest Month to continue Louise Penny's series.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

THE GOOD DREAM, by Donna VanLiere

THE BLACK SWAN, by Mercedes Lackey

THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett

THE THIRTEENTH TALE, by Diane Setterfield

THE STATIONARY ARK, by Gerald Durrell