Start by marking “Jamaica Inn” as Want to Read:
Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  33,932 ratings  ·  2,988 reviews
On a bitter November evening, young Mary Yellan journeys across the rainswept moors to Jamaica Inn in honour of her mother's dying request. When she arrives, the warning of the coachman begins to echo in her memory, for her aunt Patience cowers before hulking Uncle Joss Merlyn. Terrified of the inn's brooding power, Mary gradually finds herself ensnared in the dark schemes ...more
Published March 6th 2003 by Virago Press Ltd (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Jamaica Inn, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Judy Lindow Well the main character gets abducted a lot and there's a lot of dirty old man talk but she's feisty and survives it all. She's the kinda of gal that'…moreWell the main character gets abducted a lot and there's a lot of dirty old man talk but she's feisty and survives it all. She's the kinda of gal that's always thinking of a plan and has a strategy. (less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Search online, or go to the library and find it. This is not a homework website or a "I don't want to read this for the book club" site.…moreSearch online, or go to the library and find it. This is not a homework website or a "I don't want to read this for the book club" site.(less)

·  33,932 ratings  ·  2,988 reviews

Start your review of Jamaica Inn
Bionic Jean
When I first read Daphne du Maurier's popular novel Jamaica Inn, I had no idea what "wreckers" meant. Some romantic idea connected with pirates, I thought. I knew of the real Jamaica Inn, a pub in the middle of Bodmin Moor. But the grim truth is that Daphne du Maurier was not writing an account about either pirates or ordinary smugglers, but a highly-coloured bloodthirsty tale about bands of men who existed around 1815, according to the novel 20 or 30 years after Cornish pirates had been eradica ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

Upping my rating to 5 stars on reread. I have to hand it to Daphne du Maurier: she takes the fusty old gothic novel conventions and tropes, and amps them up in this 1936 novel. The setting is classic gothic―it's the 1820s in a lonely, cold and windswept area of Cornwall, near the treacherous Bodmin Moor, in a decaying inn that all honest people avoid.

description
The real Jamaica Inn, built in 1750, which inspired this novel

An isolated, orphaned young woman, 23 year old Mary Yellan, comes to stay with the pr
Candi
Wonderfully dark and atmospheric and utterly suspenseful, Daphne du Maurier’s Jamaica Inn is a thrilling adventure of a novel! I wish I had picked up this book on a chilly, gray and dreary fall day so I could have curled up on the sofa next to the fire with a blanket and a cup of tea. That would have created the perfect environment for reading this one! Nevertheless, it was still a satisfying reading experience.

On her deathbed, Mary Yellan’s mother exacts a promise from her daughter – that she w
Dem
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic, compelling and full of twists and turns, Jamacia Inn is an atmospheric gothic tale which chills and thrills in equal measures. An intriguing page turner that had me hooked from the very first chapter..

When it comes to suspense and mystery with a little romance thrown in Daphne du Maurer certainly gives the reader what they are looking for.

On a dark and dreary November evening, young Mary Yellan journeys across the moors to Jamaica Inn in honor of her mother’s dying request. When she
Baba
Bracken and gorse and rocks and tors! Heather and mists and winds and moors! Young adult newly orphaned farmer's daughter Mary Yellen has to move in with her auntie and uncle; her uncle the landlord of Jamaica Inn, a place that nobody even stops at and that never has any patrons! Du Maurier pulls no punches in setting up some obvious plot points and characters only for us to see further reveals when the mist clears. On top of that we get the usual strong female character, despite the book being ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jamaica Inn, Daphne du Maurier

Jamaica Inn is a novel by the English writer Daphne du Maurier, first published in 1936.

It was later made into a film, also called Jamaica Inn, directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

It is a period piece set in Cornwall in 1820. It was inspired by du Maurier's 1930 stay at the real Jamaica Inn, which still exists and is a pub in the middle of Bodmin Moor. The plot follows a group of murderous wreckers who run ships aground, kill the sailors and steal the cargo.

عنوانها: «مه
Henry Avila
As the crow flies so does Mary Yellan to find not just substance but to the young lady's great goal and hope an
escape from the past, if she can't eliminate the atrocious memories at least make them vague enough to live a life of dull existence, the pain will be bearable she needs to forget. When her mother expires in the Cornish coast of England (set in 19th century) the unprofitable farm kills, has no charm, Mary doesn't look back Aunt Patience her mother's sister will help her she had said. An
Dilushani Jayalath
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
All hail the Queen of Gothic Romance.

That is the best manner I can express my feelings about the book. Her style of writing, the prose, the character development, everything was within my taste. For those who are well versed in the classics and Gothic romance, this may seem almost as if child's play but for me who's an amateur in this genre, this book truly stands out among others.

We have our heroine, Mary Yellen, a truly stalwart woman, who keeps to her morals (even though sometimes her decisi
Amalia Gkavea
“Dead men tell no tales, Mary.”

The story of Mary Wellan and her journey to the haunting, dark and fascinating Cornish cost. The tale of a land haunted by terrible crimes, where the souls of the lost cry for justice. A story of obsession, secrecy and violence. A woman’s determination to help the ones in need and to find a path of her own.

I first read Jamaica Inn at the age of thirteen and since then, Cornwall has occupied a significant place in my heart. Images of moonlit rocks, stormy waves
~Bookishly~
This book is an excellent prime example, as to why I read. "Jamaica Inn" made my heart beat just above the norm, obviously just to let me know that it is still doing it's job, but, Du Maurier seems to be masterful at messing with both my head and my heart, as this is the third time it has happened. I'm certainly not complaining. This girl wants MORE.

This is a typical gothic style novel. I love this kind of style, and with a creepy building involved, situated near the Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, ma
Caz (littlebookowl)
Overall, I liked it, however I wasn't totally enthralled. I'm not sure what exactly was missing for me, but I wasn't able to really connect with the characters and the story. Still enjoyable, but wishing I didn't feel so detached while reading it. ...more
Lucy Langford
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****

"There's things happen at Jamaica Inn, Mary, that I've never dared to breathe. Bad things. Evil things. I dare not even admit them to myself."

Gritty, dark and atmospheric, Du Maurier weaves a Gothic tale set in the cold and chilling moors of Cornwall. The main protagonist is Mary Yellan, a young women who after the death of her mother, takes the long and lonely journey over the moors to the isolated and almost desolate Jamaica Inn, where her Aunt Patience resides with her husband, Joss Merl
Holly
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2019-read
I just noticed - this is my 900th review! *throws confetti*

Who knew classic novels could be so wonderfully creepy? I knew this was gothic, but it still surprised me how disturbing it got - murders, thieves, desolate land, and social isolation makes for one heck of an unsettling story. I loved it! Though ironically the one thing I did NOT love was the romance thrown in there - the setup was fine but her emotions/thoughts were a bit too intense and developed too quickly for my modern tastes. I ha
Carol
"DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES."

First published in 1935, this haunting gothic tale of adventure begins when a brave, young Mary Yellan adheres to her mother's dying wish that she live with her fun-loving Aunt Patience, but upon arrival at the sinister looking and desolate JAMAICA INN, Mary finds her Aunt has turned into a gaunt nervous wreck of a person with a spirit destroyed by abuse and fear of her violent drunkard of a husband, Uncle Joss.

As the story evolves and darkness falls....bad things....evi

Duane
Published in 1936, two years before Rebecca, Jamaica Inn is a dark tale of murder and thievery, set close to the Bodmin Moor in Cornwall, England. It has a hint of romance, although I wouldn't call it romantic. It would have to be called a mystery if you had to give it a tag. The style is typical of the other du Maurier novels I have read, and excellent writing with great characters. It was a little slow to develop for me but once it did the pace ran quickly to the climax.
Jason Koivu
This rancid mess is supposed to be a classic?! The attempt at 19th century prose falls flat..."like a dead thing." Good god. It has all the writerly skill of a romance novel, and a boring one at that.

With midnight-smuggling and murder lurking behind a thinly-veiled mystery, I expected "THRILLS and CHILLS!" from this story.

For its time, perhaps it was thrilling...NO!...No, I will not defend it. The "what's going on behind the scenes?!" tension is teased out to beyond caring and the characterizat
PattyMacDotComma
‘Your revolt and your disgust please me the more, Mary Yellan,’ he replied. ‘There is a dash of fire about you that the women of old possessed.’

Mary Yellan is 23, and her mother has just died, so she’s off to live with her aunt and uncle at the Jamaica Inn in Cornwall. The trip there is horrendous, with weather and atmosphere that is as unwelcoming as possible: wet, windy, clammy cold, and almost dark in mid-afternoon.

“No human being could live in this wasted country, thought Mary, and remai
Bianca
This was only my second Daphne du Maurier novel. I loved Rebecca which I read many years ago, in translation. I've sort of forgotten what a wonderful writer du Maurier was.

The writing was scrumptious, with descriptions out of this world. I'll repeat what many others stated before me - this was a very atmospheric novel.

Besides the stunning descriptions, the characters were multi-layered and diverse. Mary Yallan, the heroine of this novel, was only twenty-three when she became an orphan. After sel
Werner
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical and Gothic fiction
Jamaica Inn is a real building which, as Du Maurier notes in her introductory note here, stood in her own time (and still does) on Cornwall's Bodmin Moor. The old inn caught the imagination of the young author, and she proceeded to spin a tale, envisioning it "as it might have been over a hundred and twenty years ago." (Since she wrote those words in 1935, that puts the setting of the novel somewhat before 1815; the date is never given in the text itself.) And what a tale it is, complete with sm ...more
Beverly
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all Daphne st Maurier's books that I've read, Jamaica Inn, Rebecca and The House on the Strand are my favorites. I reread them frequently. Du Maurier takes a genre, like romance or time travel, and puts her own stamp on it and makes it entirely richer and more wonderful.Jamaica Inn is in simplistic terms a historical romance, but it is oh so much more than that. The suspense is so finely calibrated, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and the pages turning.

A 20ish farm girl, Mary Yellan los
Jessaka
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Foggy Bogs

It was a dark and stormy day and night that went into the next day and night and the following day.

Tornadoes were being sited; trees were being ripped out by their roots, and houses were being blown away. There were seventy five tornadoes in Oklahoma and elsewhere, mostly Oklahoma. And after that more tornadoes were to follow.

It was a good time to just sit on the couch and read a good book, a book about another kind of darkness:

It was a dark and stormy day when Mary took a coach to J
Katie Lumsden
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling, atmospheric novel, which I really enjoyed – though not quite as much as the other two of her books I've read previously. ...more
Maria Espadinha
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hitchcockian Muse Strikes Again

Purity attracts Evil in the same way Protons attract Electrons.
It’s all about Balance and Opposites Attractions!

Hence, it was definitely not surprising watching a good girl like Mary Yellan gradually merging into deep dark waters 😈. However, there’s nothing to worry about cos, in due time, this lack of surprise will be generously compensated! 😉

Patience and Fortitude, cos... Du Maurier the Hitchcockian Muse... always delivers! 👍👍👍😍
Antoinette
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reacquainting myself with a gothic novel. The author certainly knows how to create an atmosphere. The opening scene with the wild carriage ride to Jamaica Inn is reminiscent of the scene in Dracula. Your final destination- an isolated, dark, brooding, unkempt inn that seems closed off from everyone in its sheer isolation. The countryside with the moors, the bogs, the tors all come alive with the author's vivid descriptions. The scene has been set for the arrival of Mary, recently orphane ...more
PorshaJo
What an absolutely fabulous, gothic tale from none other than Daphne du Maurier. I tried this one via audio a year ago and it just was not the right time. I couldn't concentrate and I didn't care much for the male narrators female audio voices. But I tried it again. I still didn't care much for the female voices the narrator did, but I ended up really enjoying this haunting tale.

Mary Yellan is young when her mother dies. Her wish is for Mary to go and live with her Aunt Patience at Jamaica Inn.
Misfit
(4.5) A spooky, gothic tale perfect for a stormy October night. "Roads? Who spoke of roads? We go by the moor and the hills, and tread granite and heather as the Druids did before us." Why I have waited so many years to read more of Du Maurier's books I'll never know, but there are definitely more of hers in my immediate reading future!

It's early 19C in Southern Cornwall and Mary Yellen's dying mother asks her to sell the family farm and join her Aunt Patience and her husband at Jamaica Inn in
Piyangie
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jamaica Inn is the most sinister novel by the author. Set in the Cornwall moors, it is a simple tale on secret smuggling that is carried on the coast of Cornwall and the ensuing murders of that enterprise. It is not a complicated plot, nor exciting and action-driven, yet intriguing in the eerie atmosphere that the author cleverly creates.

Du Maurier's writing is unique. It's both picturesque, atmospheric, and mysterious. This style of hers produces such a charm that the readers find it difficu
Marchpane
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19-20-19
Written over 80 years ago, Jamaica Inn is an early prototype of the sort of fast-paced, twisty suspense thriller that is so popular today. By now, some of what du Maurier does here has become cliched, but man she really nailed the formula: buckets of atmosphere, menacing location, distinctive characters with traumatic backstories, page-turning tension, a late twist, and the Hollywood-ready final showdown.

As a gothic melodrama, du Maurier brings her 1930s sensibility to the early 1800s setting, w
Sarah (Presto agitato)
Nobody does Gothic like Daphne du Maurier. A decrepit inn without guests, wild moors, sinister fogs, smugglers, shipwrecks, a dashing horse thief, an albino vicar, and a murder mystery - all of the ingredients are there when orphaned Mary Yellan arrives at Jamaica Inn to live with her aunt who is married to a threatening man with secrets to hide.

jamaica2

The plot may seem over-the-top, but du Maurier excels in this genre, carefully laying the groundwork for a creepy, foreboding atmosphere. Instead o
Maria
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-britain
This is my third du Maurier, I have also read Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek. What strikes me the most is how different they are. Yes, the writing style is similar, you can tell that it's the same author, but the tone, the topic and the characters are very, very different from book to book.

The heroine of Jamaica Inn, Mary Yellan, has to deal with some very ruthless drunks and criminals. As a young girl on her own, she is pretty much helpless when faced with them. She tries to be independent and
Catching up on Cl...: Jamaica Inn Discussion: SPOILERS 15 199 Dec 28, 2019 02:09PM
Bookworm Bitches : November 2018: Jamaica Inn 15 61 Nov 30, 2018 07:33PM

• Manderley Forever
  • The Woman in Black
  • Bone China
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • I Ble'r Aeth Haul y Bore ?
  • Mrs de Winter
  • The Haunting of Alma Fielding: A True Ghost Story
  • Far From the Madding Crowd
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Wide Sargasso Sea
If Daphne du Maurier had written only Rebecca, she would still be one of the great shapers of popular culture and the modern imagination. Few writers have created more magical and mysterious places than Jamaica Inn and Manderley, buildings invested with a rich character that gives them a memorable life of their own.

In many ways the life of Daphne du Maurier resembles a fairy tale. Born into a fami