SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Long Voyage Colonization DNA storage/alteration/immortality read about 2004

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Read this SciFi colonization book back in 2004.

Starts off with a couple of space travelers in a ship heading to a new colony planet. Their shift has just ended and are waking up the next person to maintain the ship on the voyage. The person is awoken out of a machine that "3d prints" him into the room, best way I can describe it. The other crew members are disintegrated into the machine being stored for the trip.

The new watchmen is only suppose to be on duty for like a year or so, but ends up staying on watch a lot longer, like 30 years or something like that. When they reach their destination he begins waking up the crew same as described before. Everyone awaking is young looking, healthy etc. The lone crewman is old and beginning to go blind. He steps into the machine, disintegrates and is reprinted as he was at the beginning of his shift, but retaining all the knowledge he gained over the period of his watch.

The rest of the book is about the challenges of colonizing the planet, like how they had to alter their DNA to survive in the environment. Over time the concerns are how they only have one high quality machine to replicate themselves and newer machines are inferior in quality. People can only upload themselves at certain times, and some people are altering their DNA/self image with ridiculous useless items; wings that don't actually work but there only for show etc.

The main character I remember being an architect. And the final concern was newly "born/created" people were not being stored until their 18th-21st birthday and therefore had a possibility of not becoming immortal.

Thanks for any help that can come my way.

message 2: by John (new)

John | 401 comments Finally figured out what book it was, actually a part of a series.

Lost in Transmission by Wil McCarthy

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments Oh, thank you so much for letting us know! I will check it out!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lost in Transmission (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wil McCarthy (other topics)