Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Duo Team Challenge (6/12/18-?) > Karis & Allison (E) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9610 comments Mod
Karis & Allison, this is your thread for chatting and planning. :)

Link to Review Thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:15PM) (new)

RULES

*Team Roles: Assigned categories can be divvied up however each team would like. Keep in mind that for a team to complete a category, only one member of the duo needs to read a book for that category.
*Page Count: Unless the category you are completing gives a specific page count, there is NOT a minimum page count for this challenge.
*Format: You can read any format you like (eBook, audiobook, print, etc).
*Genre: As long as your book matches the instructions for the category you are completing, you can read any genre you like (picture books, poetry books, manga, travel books, fiction, nonfiction... anything goes!).
*Read Dates: You can use books you've started reading at any time, however you must finish the books on or after the challenge start date.
*Rereads: Books read for this challenge must be books you are reading for the first time (no rereads).

So, as long as you will be finishing your book for the first time during this challenge, and your book works for the category you are completing, go for it! :)

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:25PM) (new)

Categories:

Categories:

*Read a suspense novel
*Read a book with 300-399 pages
*Read a contemporary novel
*Read a fantasy/sci-fi novel
*Read a YA novel

*Read a book that has a man and woman on the cover
*Read a book with a moon on the cover
*Read a book with a mostly blue cover
*Read a book with a mostly white cover
*Read a book with a bridge on the cover

*Read a book with a baby on the cover or in title
*Read a book with a fence on the cover
*Read a book with a road (dirt or paved) on the cover
*Read a book with a hat on the cover
*Read a book with three or more people on the cover

*Read a book with a double letter in the title (e.g. Falling for You - double "L"' in Falling)
*Read a book with a one word title
*Read a book with a profession in the title (Doctor, midwife, etc)
*Read a book that has "And" in the title
*Read a book with an apostrophe in the title (e.g. Grace's Pictures)

*Read a book that is the last book in its series
*Read a book that is the first book in its series
*Read a book that is NOT part of a series
*Read a book published in the winter (December-March)
*Read a book published in the spring (March-June)

*Read a book that was not originally published this year (2018)
* Read a book with something musical on the cover or in the title (i.e. an instrument, musical notes, etc.)
*Read a book with a police officer or soldier (must include text which mentions them)
*Read a book that is set during a war
*Read a book set OUTSIDE the USA

message 5: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:17PM) (new)

Challenge officially starts 6/12/18, so make sure you finish your books on or after that date.

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 10:41PM) (new)

Here's a spreadsheet you guys can use, if you want. :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 7: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Thank you so much, Melanie, for getting the threads up and for making the spreadsheets! We really appreciate it. Now to start planning which books to read!

message 8: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Okay, so right now I'm reading The Lady of the Vineyard, which I had planned in the spreadsheet for the "book set outside of the US" category.

Also, I'm almost finished The Old River Road, which would work for the first book of a series category, which I filled out.

The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel, which I'm also currently reading, would work for the book category needing 300-399 pages, and Carry on, Jeeves (also reading) would work for the book not published this year category.

message 9: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments When I'm finished with the book and once I've okayed using it for a category with you, Allison, I'll post it over on our review thread.

message 10: by Allison (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:22AM) (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Thank you, Melanie!

WHOA - Karis - you are speeding and beating me! :P

I am currently reading Master of Morgana and I was going to count that as my Suspense category.

I am also currently reading the Runaway Robot and I was going to count that for the Sci Fi / Fantasy category.

And I'm going to start The Coronation today by Livy Jarmusch and count that as the Contemporary category.

message 11: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Haha Allison! Yes, I'm really pumped about this challenge. :)

I just finished The Lady of the Vineyard, and since I already had "claimed" that category + book, I'm going to go ahead and post it in our review thread for the book set outside the US category.

I already filled in my name and the date for that one on the spreadsheet, Allison.

message 12: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I just finished the handful of pages I had left of Carry on, Jeeves. I counted it toward the "double letter in title" category, since I had already claimed that category in the spread sheet.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Sounds fantastic, Karis. Way to go, you!!

Psst - slow down a bit!! *snickers*

message 14: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I honestly only had a handful of pages left to read in both of them yesterday, Allison. :) I really didn't read much; it only looks as if I did. 😉

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "I honestly only had a handful of pages left to read in both of them yesterday, Allison. :) I really didn't read much; it only looks as if I did. 😉"

Ohh - okay! :P I was just kidding anyway! :)

message 16: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "I honestly only had a handful of pages left to read in both of them yesterday, Allison. :) I really didn't read much; it only looks as if I did. 😉"

Ohh - okay! :P I was just kidding ..."

I knew you were; I just wanted to assure you that speeding along reading is the last thing I'd doing right now. :)

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "I honestly only had a handful of pages left to read in both of them yesterday, Allison. :) I really didn't read much; it only looks as if I did. 😉"

Ohh - okay! :P I w..."

Hehe - okay! XD

message 18: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I counted Ivy's book, The Old River Road, toward the first book of a series category that I had claimed. ;)

Also, I read Baby, which I'm going to count for the single word title category, (which I also claimed before. :P).

message 19: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I counted The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel toward the category of reading a book with 300-399 pages.

I saw you read Searching for Dragons, Allison. How did you enjoy it? I read the whole series last year or so and found them a lot of fun. I wish I had discovered them when I had been a bit younger, though. I've been meaning to order them for my little brother.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I counted The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel toward the categ..."

Ahh - a Pimpernel book! I've been thinking about those lately and feeling like trying another one. Was it good?

I did! I really enjoyed it, it was super cute. Actually, the whole tone rather reminded me of my Ambia books - heh!

Aww - what a great idea!

message 21: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I counted The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel to..."

In my humble opinion, yes, but I think it's one of the later ones. The 10th chronologically, I believe. It focused more on the historical aspects then some of the others did. Being familiar with the style and pacing of the previous books of the series and already loving the characters I think added a special element to the book for me. The first part might seem rather slow to someone not adjusted to how Baroness Orczy develops the plot of her books.

Awww... I'm glad you enjoyed it! I really enjoyed them a ton. A quick, fun read like that is sometimes a nice treat.

message 22: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I counted The Triumph of the Scar..."

Nice! Even though I'm not a super fan - I really find myself wanting to try another.

I did, very much! Yes, I love fun, sweet reads so much!

message 23: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I counted The Trium..."

I've really enjoyed the series a ton, but I get that the story and the writing style doesn't appeal to everybody. I just have a nerdy love for the series! :P

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Allison wrote: "Karis wrote: "Just finished the last of the books I started pre-challenge in anticipating of it... So expect to see me slowing down in reading. :P

I c..."

I actually really liked the writing style (I love old-fashioned writing styles) - it was just some of it got a bit too sentimental for me. :P Aww - that's so cool!

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments What's next for you, Karis?

I'm going to shoot for the "Read a book not published in 2018" by listening to The Black Arrow on audio book!

message 26: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I'm thinking possibly The Bridge by Jerri Massi. With a large selection of books to choose from as I have now, settling on a book can be hard.

The Black Arrow! How fun! You might want to have a dictionary handy to look up the old Englishy meanings for some of the words; I learned a lot of fun ones reading it. I have a paperback copy I got as a birthday gift, and I quite enjoyed the story and history aspects of it.

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "I'm thinking possibly The Bridge by Jerri Massi. With a large selection of books to choose from as I have now, settling on a book can be hard.

The Black Arrow! How fun! You might want to have a di..."

OOO - THE BRIDGE! *claps hands* You're in for a treat!

Haha, yeah. I know the feeling!

Oh dear. Hmm - maybe I should choose another! I'm trying to find an audio book for this one. :)

message 28: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Half our categories are finished!!!!! *cheers*

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Half our categories are finished!!!!! *cheers*"

HUZZAH!! You've been doing the bulk of it, I'm afraid. :/ I do have three more categories...almmmooost licked.

message 30: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Ah, that's all right. ;) Most of them weren't ones I had planned on even reading, like the picture book and short story I was able to use. It's nice not having a particular page count to reach. I've been enjoying the books I've read for the most part.

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Ah, that's all right. ;) Most of them weren't ones I had planned on even reading, like the picture book and short story I was able to use. It's nice not having a particular page count to reach. I'v..."

That's great!

Hey - do you think a book entitled: "The Queen's Poisoner" Would count for the one where you have to read something with a profession in the title?

It's SORT OF a profession. :P

message 32: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Oh, Alli! I can't remember if I ever got back with you with the answer for that question. This week has been a little crazy. The mods said that the title would totally work for that category. :)

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments I think we only have eight more books to go, Karis!! *cheers*

What's next for you?

message 34: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I counted nine, I think. But, yes, we are getting close!

And that's a good question. I just finished a freebie kindle book I picked up recently and was just double checking to see if it would count for a category. Nope. Maybe Bandit's Moon?

message 35: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

You guys have only seven left now. :D Well done!

message 36: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Thanks, Melanie! We're enjoying ourselves. :)

message 37: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments I'm having a hard trouble with the last couple categories. I think I have in orange four yet. Although, I have read 15. ;)

Read a book with a fence, a moon, something musical, and a road.

Right now I'm sorta bookless in the sense that I typically have close to a dozen books out from the libraries (interloaned), and at the moment, I have none! *gasps*

Later today I'll be picking up my road one from the library, and I can try to get that one read before I leave for two weeks (away from wifi and books) to camp this Tuesday.

I don't know if I'll be able to read a book for the other categories before I leave...

Also, I had a question for you, Allison. I know you're listening to Lord Tony's Wife, but I did happen to read a book that has a couple on the cover. If you aren't enjoying the audio book and want me to count the book I read, let me know. I really don't care either way; I just wanted to throw that out there.

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments I've almost got the couple category licked, as well as the profession . . . and I have a book handy for the moon category, if you'd like me to take that one of your hands....?

Thanks for the offer, but I've almost finished Lord Tony's Wife!

You can do it, Karis!

message 39: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Once I finish these three categories, I can double check with you to see how we're doing with the music category.

message 40: by Karis (new)

Karis | 220 comments Yes, if you can take Moon go for it. I just don't know how many ones I'll be able to do before I leave for camp, and once I'm there I have ZERO time to read and no wifi to update you anyway.

I'm definitely going to try to finish Road before I leave Tuesday. My Fence book is in transit, but I don't know if it will arrive before I leave for camp.

The book I had in mind for something musical I'm going to have to buy, and first I need to go buy myself a giftcard to do that. I do really want to read it, though, but for sure let me know once you finish those if that's one you thing you can tackle.

message 41: by Allison (new)

Allison Tebo (allisonteboauthor) | 34 comments Karis wrote: "Yes, if you can take Moon go for it. I just don't know how many ones I'll be able to do before I leave for camp, and once I'm there I have ZERO time to read and no wifi to update you anyway.

I'm ..."

Will do! Yup, I understand!

Okay! I'm hoping to finish two this weekend and dive into the Moon. I'll keep you posted.

No fear, we've got this licked. "determined look" :)

message 42: by Janet (new)

Janet Stobie (goodreadscomjanetstobie) | 8 comments I don't know what books you have on your list. I would like to offer you my book, "Fireweed". I can send you a free ebook. My books are in Canadian libraries but I'm thinking that won't help you. If you go to my website: www.janetstobie.com you can see and sample all of my books. Since what is on the cover seems to be important, you will be able to check out the covers. I am a member of Goodreads but I still haven't quite figured it out. If I'm not supposed to offer you my book, I totally apologize. Blessings Janet Stobie