Start by marking “Bandit's Moon” as Want to Read:
Bandit's Moon

Bandit's Moon

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
After a narrow escape from the nasty O. O. Mary's clutches, Annyrose ventures forth to find her long-lost brother Lank in gold-digging territory. But the journey is rough, bandits and fiends waiting for the traveler at every bend. Soon Annyrose runs into Joaquin Murieta, legendary bandit of the Gold Rush.

This complete disaster, however, soon appears to be no less than a bl
Published April 11th 2000 by Yearling (first published September 17th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bandit's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bandit's Moon

Tommy V
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the things I wanted to do with my 8-year old son one summer, in addition to swimming, going to county fairs and ball games, and playing in the park, was to read for at least 30 minutes a day. And, to make the experience more enjoyable for him (and to help him with his reading comprehension) we agreed to read the same books.

Bandit's Moon by Sid Fleischman became my son's favourite book that he read so far that summer. It is set during the California Gold Rush of the early 1850s, and tells
Bayla
Buzzwords: Historical fiction, bandits, Mexico vs. America, seeking gold

"I looked at him and saw that for the great bandit, nothing was altered. He would continue his proud outlaw life, avenging himself on Yankees. Like an arrow in flight, he couldn't change direction"

When Joaquin, the "Robin Hood of the Califoria Gold Rush" comes to the house where Annyrose has been held by the wicked O.O. Mary, she takes the opportunity to escape, to seek her brother. But traveling with the bandits, she learns
Ale Rivero
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta ha sido una entretenida historia de aventura que aúna historia. Joaquín existió, pero poco se sabe de su vida, y las aventuras que nos presenta el autor parecen ir muy bien con el recuerdo que se tiene de él.
A través de la voz de Annyrose podemos conocer a este forajido mexicano que era más bien un Robin Hood californiano.
Puede que esta sea una historia corta y simple, pero está tan bien narrada que se vuelve sumamente entretenida e imposible de dejar hasta ver cómo termima. Muy recomendabl
Challice Neipp
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story about how one girl survives the wild west with an outlaw and his band of thieves.
Annyrose lets a band of Mexican bandits to believe that she is a boy to get away from a horrible life she was. Her hopes are that she will find her brother somewhere in California where he went to strike it rich. Annyrose learns the power of a rumors verses facts, of western justice and vigilante, of truth verses fear, and above all, to stand up for what is right even when you fear for your life. Joaquí
Kim
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this one with my kids and really enjoyed the picture of the gold rush that Fleischman painted. It was a complicated time and this book really makes you question the idea of the good guys/bad guys.
Jodi Fairforest
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I did not expect such a tiny book to give me so many emotions.
Questingforaquest
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Boys AND girls, reluctant readers, parents/teachers looking for teachable but fun reads
Recommended to Questingforaquest by: Sunshine State Reader book for the state of Florida
My sister brought this home from school when she was in elementary school and I was in middle school. I picked it up to flip thorugh the pages and didn't put it down until a couple hours later, when I had finished the whole thing. I've given it as a gift and eventually bought a copy for myself, and will still occassionally read it in one sitting; it's one of those books I haave to be careful of picking up, because I'm still liable to have a hard time putting it down!

Sid Fleischman had won a Newb
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Set in the early 1850s, Bandit's Moon is the story of a young girl named Annyrose Smith, who has been imprisoned by a nasty old woman named O.O. Mary. When she makes her escape, she immediately sets out to look for her older brother, Lank, from whom she has become separated, but instead, she falls in with a gang of bandits led by Joaquin Marieta, the Mexican Robin Hood. Though she deplores Joaquin's dishonest behavior, she can't help but be c
Diane
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
AnnyRose, left by her brother with O.O. Mary until he can earn money enough to support her, suddenly finds herself hiding from the dread Joaquin, a notorious bandit. She's found almost immediately, but Joaquin thinks "this boy" could help him learn what he really needs to know ... how to read English. So, she begins her journey toward her bother with a group of outlaws, trying to understand what drives them.
AbbyJoy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If this isn't a classic already, then it definitely should be. Bandit's Moon is by far my favorite childhood book, and still remains one of my favorites even today. Although aimed at middle school aged children, it is a fantastic tale of a young girl who ends up on a crazy adventure with Mexican bandits. Though less detailed than a novel aimed at an older audience would be, I still feel like Bandit's Moon captures the culture of the time period.

Based off a true--though little known--person, ther
J.M. McAlpine
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I listened to this on a long car ride. I find listening to a book is much different from reading. I also think that if I was reading this book, I would've put it down and not finished it.

I'm probably bias because the book was geared towards children - I think 5th-6th grade, not me. Granted there are kid books I like but this one was just ok. It follows the adventure a girl, Annie, takes out west. Eventually, she is picked up by a bandit and spends time with him. (she would argue kidnapped but ..
Miss Amanda
gr 3-6 132 pgs

mid 1800s, Southwest. Ever since her brother left her with O O Mary, 12 year old Annyrose has waited for him to send for her. O O Mary treats Annyrose like a slave and calls her an orphan. But Annyrose knows that her brother is out there and when the bandit Joaqin Murieta robs O O Mary, Annyrose decides to go along with him in hopes he might help her find her brother.

As she gets to know him she finds out that not everything she's heard about Murieta is true. Is he a bandit or a rob
Josiah
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
One quickly learns what to expect after reading a Sid Fleischman Western adventure or two: colorful characters with language steeped in the culture of the time period, a deeper mystery that isn't resolved until the plot takes a few blind corners right near the end of the book, and a style and sense of humor that no other creator of juvenile lit can quite match. Bandit's Moon is as entertaining and well-built as any of the Sid Fleischman Westerns I've read, and I have no doubt kids will have a b ...more
Kade
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book when I was still in secondary school (I was a bit of an advanced reader, if I do say so myself), after my junior-high aged cousin left it lying around. It was one of the first books that really hit me, and I daresay that I compare how I fell about other books to how I felt years ago, after I finished this book.

Until today, actually, I couldn't remember the name or the author, but I could still tell anyone who asked what happened and in what order. It had a lasting effect o
Mike Ehlers
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read
My daughter read this for "Battle of the Books" at school. She said the book confused her a little, but she liked it anyway. I don't know if I would have liked it when I was young, non sci-fi adventure books weren't my thing. But reading it now I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the story. Prejudices and motivations are examined without being too blunt about it. Not bad for my first Fleischman book.
James
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"How is it even possible to make a boring movie about Alexander?" This question was posed by my first-year Greek instructor, Joe Smith, with respect to Oliver Stone's turgid embarrassment. A boring book about Joaquin Murietta, one of the swashbucklingest characters in American history (think real-life Zorro), evokes a similar astonishment. People love Sid Fleischman and, for the most part, I don't get it. I did like his Houdini book, though.
Jeffrey
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for an adventure. It makes you excited to read. It's a fictional book about real people. It's hard to believe that they're real people because of how adventurous the story is. It makes me want to learn a lot more about the people.
Everyone should read this book, especially people who like adventures.
Jori Richardson
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
A short, lighthearted book that is just simply a lot of fun to read! The characters, especially O.O. Mary and Joaquin the Bandit, are hilarious and endearing. A funny, action-packed page turner that will especially appeal to middle school readers looking for fun, enjoyable adventures.
I loved this book when I was a kid, it was one of my favorites.
Kimberly
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like how it is historical fiction. The Bandit was real but the biographical details are supposed. I like how the author used Spanish and made us feel like Annyrose at some points. We knew how it would feel to lose a brother, want revenge, want freedom and safety. The character development is real.
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
It's always tricky writing a book about a famous historical figure (in the case, the early California bandit, Joaquin Murietta), but a separate main character with her own story and strong voice is a good way to start. I read it looking for good old-west flavor and turns of phrase, which it had in spades.
Brittany
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
To my surprise I actually really liked this tale of Joaquin, the Mexican Robin Hood. It takes place during the California gold rush when greed and racism were at an extreme. It’s an adventure that would intrigue both boys and girls. Many different emotions arise, changes take place, and the plot and characters are well developed. I would definitely recommend this book.
Elizabeth
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
A quick and engaging read about Gold Rush era bandit Joaquin Murieta. The female narrator is fiery and brave. The bandit is kindhearted and smart. And the based-in-a-true-character aspect is intriguing.
Marielle
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this with the kids for a book club. They enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. Led to some chats about history... we also chatted about the complexity of one of the main characters, Joaquin the bandit.
Debbie
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-titles
This book really grew on me as it went along, and I loved the author's note at the end which explained how he gained his inspiration from true characters and events. Sid Fleischman's books are always a blast to read aloud, and this was no exception.
Cate
Apr 24, 2016 added it
This was better than I remembered (read in 1998 - when on DCF list.) It's short and talks about some of the big ideas of the Mexican American War and a great Robin Hood like character. Great 6th grade book for our Latin America reading club.
Kristigilbert5
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a great read-aloud. Lots of action, and a lot to think about. I love books that expand my world-view. Katie thought this book would be boring, but she was riveted.
Will Tomlin
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
this book is about finding a way to her brother
Ykyung0309
May 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
i do not like it but my friends said it is funny...
Kate O'Neill
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4 and 5th grade girls.
Recommended to Kate by: Emily
Shelves: with-emily
great book for that adventuresome girl in your life. My daughter loved it and recommends it to everyone even now.
Jade
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I was a little sad and a little boring but overall, it had a great story and i liked it.
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • The Winter People
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • Sun  Spoon
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Don't You Know There's a War On?
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail: Letters from the Overland Trail
  • Run Away Home
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Trouble River
  • Cat Running
As a children's book author Sid Fleischman felt a special obligation to his readers. "The books we enjoy as children stay with us forever -- they have a special impact. Paragraph after paragraph and page after page, the author must deliver his or her best work." With almost 60 books to his credit, some of which have been made into motion pictures, Sid Fleischman can be assured that his work will m ...more
More about Sid Fleischman...