YA Book Addicts discussion

Discussions & Debates > Authors Who Behave Badly

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
I'm sure we all have encountered (or heard of) some authors who are just so immature and protective of their books they stoop so low they'll do some pretty nasty things to their more critical readers.

Do you guys remember any Goodreads scandals involving authors like these? Comment so we know who to avoid!

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Jordy (new)

Jordy | 49 comments I've never head about authors like this.... This is really fascinating, I would love to know some authors who are like this.

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Yeah me too.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never heard of that

message 5: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
I have never not once heard of an author who has behaved badly

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) I've heard of the one with Kiera Cass!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I actually remember some thing a bout her

message 8: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

What happened

message 9: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Jul 31, 2014 05:52AM) (new)

She got mad that a user posted a negative review of The Selection, so she and her publicist (who publicly badmouthed the user on twitter) made all of their friends go on Goodreads and like the positive reviews so they would show up at the top - that's in short.

(view spoiler)

message 10: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I know too much about icky authors for some reason

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah she can't do that. I mean I personally loved that book but the author doesn't sound so great

message 12: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Honestly, I don't mind people who liked the book. In my opinion, you can like the book without liking the author. I just don't want to offend anyone who liked The Selection - you just need to know what they did, which was pretty immature.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah it was

message 14: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I think there was another author who attacked a negative reviewer through goodreads PM and called her horrible things... but I can't remember their name....

message 15: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Ah yes! Leigh Fallon!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

What'd she write

message 17: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Carrier of the Mark... it's not as popular to know about as The Selection, but I somehow found out...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh well she still shouldn't have blown up like that

message 19: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

There are also several self-published authors who troll their reviewers. Or even people who haven't read their book.

message 20: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

LittleMissBookworm(lauren) wrote: "Huh well she still shouldn't have blown up like that"

And yeah...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow

message 22: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I know, right?

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Amee wrote: "She got mad that a user posted a negative review of The Selection, so she and her publicist (who publicly badmouthed the user on twitter) made all of their friends go on Goodreads and like the posi..."

I find that to be a bit trashy and sneaky...

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Amee wrote: "There are also several self-published authors who troll their reviewers. Or even people who haven't read their book."

True... I mean that's the bargain you're in for when you become an author. Some people are bound to dislike your book.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) It's how you handle it that shows what you're truly like.

message 26: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Miss Perfection (Rachel) wrote: "Amee wrote: "She got mad that a user posted a negative review of The Selection, so she and her publicist (who publicly badmouthed the user on twitter) made all of their friends go on Goodreads and ..."

Same... it's so unprofessional. They're adults, for crying out loud! Even teenage authors behave better!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly but that's part of being an author! Just because one specific person doesn't like your book doesn't mean that other won't read it and like it

message 28: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Miss Perfection (Rachel) wrote: "It's how you handle it that shows what you're truly like."

I agree. If you have some sense in you, you will take the negative review and use the criticism to improve. Besides, the review she got so mad over wasn't even trashy, it was well-written and had constructive criticism.

message 29: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

LittleMissBookworm(lauren) wrote: "Exactly but that's part of being an author! Just because one specific person doesn't like your book doesn't mean that other won't read it and like it"

Exactly! Kiera Cass has MANY loyal fans who loved her books, she should focus on them and not the people who didn't. Or at least admit that she did something wrong and try to improve as a writer.

message 30: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Wow

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I know

message 32: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

I have one question, why

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Because some have a temper problem or are worried that that single reveiw will label their book forever

message 34: by Alba (last edited Jul 31, 2014 09:33AM) (new)

Alba Arango | 14 comments I'm surprised that happened on Goodreads. I know some terrible stuff has happened on a different site geared toward authors (I'll leave it nameless). In one instance, an author got upset by what the other authors were saying on a thread and went to all their books on Amazon and wrote scathing, horrible reviews. It happened multiple times with this author until they had to ban him from the site. Sheesh. Talk about unprofessional!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow!

message 36: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

That's just so unbelievably immature, I can't

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ikr?!

message 38: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

I mean, if you can't take criticism, why the heck did you throw your work out into the public?! Everybody knows that nothing is perfect, and it's stupid for someone to assume that they, out of all people, wrote the perfect book that will please every single person in the world.

message 39: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments I heard Orson Scott Card is a complete idiot...I agree.

message 40: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Well, now I know who to avoid!

message 41: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
I only know of the Kiera Cass thing which is terrible!!

And Orson Scott Card is just a really intense guy who's homophobic and extremely Mormon and very passionate about this stuff...so definitely not my thing...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow

message 43: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Riya wrote: "I only know of the Kiera Cass thing which is terrible!!

And Orson Scott Card is just a really intense guy who's homophobic and extremely Mormon and very passionate about this stuff...so definitely..."

Homophobes are definitely people I do not support.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah

message 45: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments Wow is right. :o I have never heard about Keira Cass doing that! The more I think about it, the more angrier I get. I still like her series but geez, somebody doesn't take critism lightly. What a horrible thing to do!

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (creativityandcrazy) I literally just looked up "badly behaved authors" and loads of articles came up! Apparently it is a huge thing!

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (creativityandcrazy) I literally just copied and pasted this from the comments of one article;

"The author John Donoghue an indie author of Police, Crime, 999 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Police-Crime-... rather than leaving nasty comments goes about putting one and two star reviews on any author that dares to give him a negative review or competing book. He currently has 200+ five star sock puppet reviews on his book and is a real nasty piece of work. If you dare comment you get some smart remark from an account that is not his own of course. As soon as a one star review is posted it is quickly followed by several five star reviews to cover it up and loads of unlikes of course. The reviews themselves are worth a read and you can tell have been written by the same hand.

A review is a personal opinion and this sort of large scale manipulation makes the whole review process worthless and is harmful to all authors traditional or indie. So this sort of page is needed to uncover those that think they can game the system and fool the buying public."

I cannot believe any author would do this!

message 48: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

It is a pretty big issue, especially among indie authors! And, wow. That's just sad. I don't see the point of sock puppet good reviews, honestly; what good is it to an author if all the positive reviews they have aren't truly honest? That just goes to show writers these days care more about the money than sharing their stories with people :/

message 49: by Maya (new)

Maya (ladycarstairs31) | 504 comments Wow I can't believe it. With singers and actors, yeah, but authors? No. You want criticism so you can make your next book that much better. Wow, I thought they were more mature then that.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

That's an issue

« previous 1