Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2569 comments Mod
Are you planning a summer vacation? Where to?
(Yes, I know that's two questions ...)

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 770 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Are you planning a summer vacation? Where to?
(Yes, I know that's two questions ...)"

No plans here!

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Are you planning a summer vacation? Where to?

No plans. Just returned to work after almost 3 weeks off for my daughters high school graduation and my husband's surgery.

message 4: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Are you planning a summer vacation? Where to?

Same here. No plans.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Hubby and I aren't planning anything for summer either. But then we rarely travel in summer ... We don't have kids and prefer to vacation in the fall when temps are cooler and most kids are in school.

We're starting to plan for a month down South come December, though....

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, June 4: How did your parents meet?

All I know is that my parents met at a dance. I regret I never pressed them for more details when they were still alive.

P.S. ... Happy Birthday, Mom!

message 7: by Leah (last edited Jun 05, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 4: How did your parents meet?

My mom and dad both worked at Hewlett Packard (she works on the line, he was an engineer). They were on the same bowling league for HP. He had a thing for her. She didn't really care. He heard she liked country guys - so he showed up for bowling in a cowboy hat (which if you met my dad is the most ridiculous thing lol) and started with "I know how to spell Mayonnaise" and proceeded to spell it. I guess that really did it lol. They were married for almost 31 years when my daddy died.

message 8: by Leah (new)

June 5, Tuesday: What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up?

message 9: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 4: How did your parents meet?

All I know is that my parents met at a dance. I regret I never pressed them for more details when they were still alive.

P.S. ... Happy Birthday, Mom!"

My parents were divorced when I was 12 so I guess I didn't dare ask.

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 5, Tuesday: What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up?"

I just re-read (listened to the audio) To Kill a Mockingbird for the umpteenth time. Never fails to move me to tears.

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 4: How did your parents meet?

They both worked at the same hotel in Maine and my dad used to make my mom put on a bathing cap every time she went in the pool even though she had short hair like the guys. She hated him for awhile, but finally came around. They've been married for 48 years.

message 12: by Leah (new)

June 6, Wednesday: What do you miss most about being a kid?

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 6, Wednesday: What do you miss most about being a kid?"

Playing with my brother and my friends ... outdoors, all day, every day during the summer.

message 14: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 5, Tuesday: What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up?"

Nashville. Last 8 shows are starting tonight. I remember absolutely sobbing during ER when Dr. Green died. I'm sure there are many others if I think about it as I cry over everything.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Saturday, June 9: It's summer (at least on the calendar) ... when's the last time you dined outdoors?

Just this last Monday ... we went out for lunch and chose to sit on the restaurant's patio rather than indoors.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Saturday, June 9: It's summer (at least on the calendar) ... when's the last time you dined outdoors?

Last night. The local brewery has food trucks just about every night.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Saturday, June 9: It's summer (at least on the calendar) ... when's the last time you dined outdoors?

Just this last Monday ... we went out for lunch and chose to sit on the restaurant's patio rat..."

Not this year yet.

message 18: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Saturday, June 9: It's summer (at least on the calendar) ... when's the last time you dined outdoors?

Don't remember. Definitely not this year - it's already been in the high 90s for weeks!

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Monday, June 11: What book do you like to read aloud to a child?

I don't know because I don't have children. But today I'm going to an information session to see if I will be able to volunteer at a local school in their reading program. I would think Charlotte's Web would be a great book to read aloud.

message 20: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 11: What book do you like to read aloud to a child?

My son is big on Hungry Caterpillar, A Wocket in my Pocket, and a book called Tails. I don't know if I like reading them for the 100th time but they make him happy anyway lol.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 11: What book do you like to read aloud to a child?

Anything by Dr. Suess

message 22: by Leah (new)

June 12, Tuesday: If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?

message 23: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, June 11: What book do you like to read aloud to a child?

I don't know because I don't have children. But today I'm going to an information session to see if I will be able to volunteer at..."

I was also going to say anything dr. Seuss. I also liked Corduroy and Curious George.

message 24: by Leah (new)

June 14, Thursday: When was the last time you traveled my plane, and where to?

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 14, Thursday: When was the last time you traveled my plane, and where to?"

Over two years ago ... went to Texas for Xmas. Since then, I've driven...

message 26: by Leah (new)

June 15, Friday: What is the most annoying habit that other people have, in your opinion?

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Leah wrote: "June 14, Thursday: When was the last time you traveled my plane, and where to?"

It's been a few years. I flew to NH to visit family. We drive to most places now.

message 28: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 14, Thursday: When was the last time you traveled my plane, and where to?"

I have never been on a plane.

message 29: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 15, Friday: What is the most annoying habit that other people have, in your opinion?"

Chewing their fingernails. I dont mean biting, I mean chewing. Like they are having a meal. Gross.

message 30: by Book Concierge (new)

Tuesday, June 19: Are you in any F2F book discussion groups?

I participate in 7 (yes, seven!). But not all meet monthly (one only meets twice a year), and I don't attend all the meetings.

message 31: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 19: Are you in any F2F book discussion groups?

I participate in 7 (yes, seven!). But not all meet monthly (one only meets twice a year), and I don't attend all the meetings."

No. There aren't many around here and I mostly read nonfiction and there are zero groups around here. Our local library has tried book groups but they didn't go over well.

message 32: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 19: Are you in any F2F book discussion groups?

I just joined one at my gym. They meet once a month. Good discussion, free wine, snacks. I enjoy it.

message 33: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Tuesday, June 19: Are you in any F2F book discussion groups?

I just joined one at my gym. They meet once a month. Good discussion, free wine, snacks. I enjoy it."

Free wine? I'm in!

message 34: by Leah (new)

June 20, Wednesday: How do you choose your next book to read? Is it random? Do you have a list?

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Leah wrote: "June 20, Wednesday: How do you choose your next book to read? Is it random? Do you have a list?"

I have a list each month, but occasionally will randomly pull one off the shelf to read.

message 36: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 20, Wednesday: How do you choose your next book to read? Is it random? Do you have a list?"

First priority goes to F2F book club selections ... then books that help me satisfy various challenges. Or perhaps that book I've had on hold at the library that FINALLY came in!

message 37: by Leah (new)

June 21, Thursday: Do you have any fun plan for summer this year?

message 38: by Leah (new)

June 22, Friday: Do you enjoy thunderstorms?

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Leah wrote: "June 22, Friday: Do you enjoy thunderstorms?"

Very much so, but mainly at night. They help me sleep.

message 40: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 20, Wednesday: How do you choose your next book to read? Is it random? Do you have a list?"

Usually my choices are based on book group challenges. If I'm caught up on those I just stare at my book shelf until one of them calls to me!

message 41: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 21, Thursday: Do you have any fun plan for summer this year?"

Not really. We look forward to going to the lake and going to the county fairs. So far this summer has not been a lot of fun. It rains all the time.

message 42: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 22, Friday: Do you enjoy thunderstorms?"

Yes, unless there is high winds. Then I worry about trees falling on our house, even though my husband says I shouldn't worry about it.

message 43: by Leah (new)

June 26, Tuesday: What’s Your Favorite Holiday and Why?

message 44: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 875 comments Leah wrote: "June 26, Tuesday: What’s Your Favorite Holiday and Why?"

Halloween... I love to dress up and I love all the myths and legends.

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 26, Tuesday: What’s Your Favorite Holiday and Why?"

Christmas ... the music, the cookies, the decorations, the cookies, buying just the right gift for someone, the cookies, the lights, the cookies, the tree, oh ... and the cookies!

message 46: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 676 comments Leah wrote: "June 26, Tuesday: What’s Your Favorite Holiday and Why?"

Fourth of July. Summer fun and watching fireworks.

message 47: by Leah (new)

June 27, Wednesday: What TV show or movie do you refuse to watch?

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 27, Wednesday: What TV show or movie do you refuse to watch?"

I watch so little TV as it is .... probably one of the reality shows like "Real Housewives of ..."

message 49: by Leah (new)

June 28, Thursday: Is there an author you just can't get into?

message 50: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "June 28, Thursday: Is there an author you just can't get into?"

Nora Roberts (I know she has millions of fans both under her real name and as J D Robb, but just not for me ...)

« previous 1