Terminalcoffee discussion

Terminal Coffee Group Fail

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments These were the stated goals for the group when I joined:

A place to chat about anything that emerges.

We're pretty relaxed, and our attitudes mostly are mild.

Make friends. Be authentic. Get mad. Laugh. Knock yourself out.

Don't act like this is a tupperware party for assholes (phrase by Clark. January, 2010).

It turned out that the founders were an uptight closed group of people who wanted a Tupperware party for assholes - no dissenting opinions. Who wants to be in a group like that? I'll hang in here for a while, hoping for some kind of resurrection of the founding principles.

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6033 comments Uh-oh...

message 3: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments In order to make the 'original' goals work, someone has to chat or start/continue discussions.

As concerns mild attitudes, being relaxed, etal., that may exclude half of world affairs at this moment in time.

So, what did you do in the war today?

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Right, someone has to chat or start/continue discussions. As the group is now, there's no discussion. People list books they've read with no opinions or reviews. It's just a list. I contacted a moderator about this, and no changes were made. Same with what you ate today - no reviews or discussion. Same with news of today. It's just presented with no opinion, and if you reply with an opinion, there's no discussion. Just move on to the next thing. I'm willing to discuss anything and do it in a respectful way, but that's not encouraged. This group could become something again, but only if people are willing to put their ideas out there and discuss them with open minds. So, this is what I did in the war today.

message 5: by CD (last edited Jun 30, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Scout wrote: "Right, someone has to chat or start/continue discussions. As the group is now, there's no discussion. People list books they've read with no opinions or reviews. It's just a list. I contacted a mod..."

Any other 'war correspondents' out there ? ? ?

I'm hunkering down away from the weather today and trying to catch up all things WWW. Or the issues with which I interact.

This is all part of people living in a virtualized society. It is very easy to be fickle, but that's not an excuse.

Interaction is important to keep one's mind semi-functional. Or at least to retain some semblance of sanity.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments Life got busy and I dropped out of most discussions online. Random Anthony used to start most of the threads, but I don't think he's been seen here in years.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments Random Anthony was a good thread starter.

message 8: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments What in the world. Why bash the group? We are still fine. Larry and Jim and Kevin and even Smetchie are all behind me, reading seperate editions of Tolstoy and waiting for the resurgence.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Heh heh heh

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
::hugs Larry::

message 11: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments Hi Sally!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24389 comments Mod
The zombie resurgence? The Resurgimento? The Rapture? The Blue Wave? The Red Wave? The Black Death?

message 13: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments ...I think I fell asleep back there.

message 14: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments The TerminalCoffee resurgence. All my people will return for my entertainment once FB finally dies.

message 15: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments BEHOLD!!!

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Praise be

message 17: by Félix (last edited Nov 12, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Participation in discussions is a voluntary activity that involves discretionary effort. Discretionary effort does not increase with derision or name-calling. In other words, people will tend to not join in on discussions that aren't fun, no matter how much some people may want them to do so.

In my experience, situations where individuals get involved tend to happen spontaneously, and usually fade and change over time.

In an interview I heard once, Jerry Garcia described the early days of the spontaneous community in the Haight-Ashbury, and how when new people later came on the scene, it evolved to a different thing entirely, and became popularized as "flower children" and such. "If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."

It evolved. And you can't make it go back to what it was before. Life doesn't work that way. I go back to those heady early days on TC by reading the old threads in the archives. Now that's fun!

::hugs Sally::

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

That last comment is passed my word count Lazza! Can you abbreviate, for those of us with short attention spans?

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Things change. How is that?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Got it! 😁

message 21: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments I read some old threads this morning. I drank a lot of coffee back then.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Why did you stop?

message 23: by The_Ficus (last edited Nov 17, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments I did too.

I stopped because Phil quit dumping his mugs out in me, mainly.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I’ll never stop (well, eventually) but would be happy to dump a mug now and then.

message 25: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments I haven't stopped drinking coffee.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm glad that's settled, evie.

message 27: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments Coffee, it is a food group, right?

message 28: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments ::waits for Larry's mugful::

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

CD wrote: "Coffee, it is a food group, right?"

In my kitchen it is. Also: a meal.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments ::waves coffee mug in everyone's general direction, tries not to spill in the ficus::

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It’s a reunion!

message 32: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments ::scoots nearer to 3.416::

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments ::pours mug contents onto The Ficus::

The gang's all here? HUZZAH!

message 34: by CD (new)

CD  | 1570 comments I've got fresh coffee straight out of the French Press.

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 03, 2019 06:53PM) (new)

My coffee maker died today so tomorrow morning I guess it's drip drip in a filter over a mug...

message 36: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments I'm waiting for a certain someone to make me a coffee.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I only have two hands, evie!

message 38: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments I'm a patient woman, Felix.

message 39: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) evie wrote: "I'm a patient woman, Felix."

That's a good quality to have in this situation.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10826 comments *pours out the decaf coffee in ficus and walks away whistling*

message 41: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments This group is not dead. Not as long as the ficus lives. Fuck off, haters!

message 42: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments + . ::enjoys Heidi's coffee treat:: . +

message 43: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments Scout wrote: "Right, someone has to chat or start/continue discussions. As the group is now, there's no discussion. People list books they've read with no opinions or reviews. It's just a list. I contacted a mod..."

Wait, what war?

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sporadic discussions are still good ones. And I don’t know which war.

I’m just so glad The Ficus is still with us.

message 45: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4319 comments War is over. If you want it.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17347 comments Mod
Glad the war ended.

message 47: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments There was no war. CD, in post 3, made the suggestion that "In order to make the 'original' goals work, someone has to chat or start/continue discussions" and maintain a mild attitude. By asking, "So, what did you do in the war today?" he was reminding us of the stated goals of the group and asking us to keep them in mind. Civil discourse, for example. It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable.

message 48: by The_Ficus (new)

The_Ficus _ | 69 comments Félix wrote: "Sporadic discussions are still good ones. And I don’t know which war.

I’m just so glad The Ficus is still with us."

::scoots near::

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11703 comments :: Subtly dumps a mug of decaf in The Ficus ::

message 50: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3452 comments :: Support for Ficus scooting and Phil dumping and ending a fake war. All you need is love::

« previous 1