Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5) Silver Shadows discussion


363 views
The End! (Spoiler Alert)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ovidio Perez OMG! Where to begin, where to begin, for starters I finished it in like a day. I was in agony seeing Sydney being tortured like that. Half the time I wanted to slap Adrian for being the saddest drunk he is. I was like this is why I love Dimitri more, because if it was Rose who got kidnapped well Dimitri be knocking them doors left and right. Trying to gather as much Intel as to where she is. When Adrian made out with Nina that was the final straw for me I don't like cheaters at all. If you were to cheat on me the only way to be redeemed is to save my life from moral danger. I realized Sydney is in danger and all Adrian has to do is save her. Which he did and I was like you have been redeemed never do it again. When Adrian proposed to Sydney I jumped up and was like yes, yes, and I remember wait this is Sydney decision not mine. Say yesss and they got hitched in Las Vegas. Boy was I happy and got frisky when Sydney used that fire wall as a threat to take out the Alchemists if they didn't let them walk free. I was like finally they get a taste of their own damn medicine. When they got home from court Sydney Father being there I wanted him to suffer. I laughed when Sydney was like Ivashkov, my name is Sydney Ivashkov. I was like woooee you go girl. Now at the end you think they get some peace, but Jill gets kidnapped. I did not see it coming at all. I was so focused on Sydney escaping the Alchemists I forgot that Jill could be in danger as well from their wrath. I mean Sydney Father did say something about the Alchemists being powerful and how they will regret making them their enemies. All I can say is bring it on. Sydney is a powerful witch not a human so you better bring out the big guns. Overall I love the book sooo much I went off on this rant… <3


message 2: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Bailey I don't think Adrian did cheat, the first time he was kissing Nina, he didn't realize it was her and thought he was kissing Sydney, the moment he found out that it was Nina he was kissing, he pushed her away, when she tried for the second time, he held her off, she tried for the third time, he seemed to be gathering his own thoughts and didn't stop her, but he wasn't really into the kiss, his mind was elsewhere, then when he realized his feelings, he pushed Nina back. He didn't initiate any of the kisses (I'm not counting the first one ;), since he was dreaming), then he pushed Nina back, after each of the 3 kisses. He remained true to Sydney and it was the wake up call he needed to finally get his act together.

Also Adrian has spirit making him slowly crazy, he is hearing his dead aunt whispering in his ear. Dimitri doesn't have that, also no-one was helping Adrian look for Sydney. He had just found out that his parents never loved each other. He wasn't in a very good position :(, also he's extremely depressed, an addict.


Rachel Anne Im so upset that the book was left at a cliffhanger, I can't wait for the next book!! I was so shocked that Sydney and Adrian got married but I'm hoping that in the next or last book they'll have a better wedding with everyone hey know there. At times is be so angry with Adrian for not finding Sydney and drinking instead but I realized it would have been impossible to find her without dreams. Thee was so many shockers in this book, I can't wait to see what the next one holds!


S.L.J. I was a bit disappointed with this book to be honest.


message 5: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC I loved this book, it was my favorite one in the series so far. On my youtube channel there will be a discussion on this book! hope you all can watch it. I loved every bit of this book, I finished it in a day. Richelle leaves us with a huge cliff hanger and i think the Alchemists took Jill, think about, the Alchemist want Sydeny and the Moroi are protecting her. So the Alchemist take Jill and make a trade Jill for Sydeny, what are your thoughts about this?


S.L.J. Cassandra wrote: "I loved this book, it was my favorite one in the series so far. On my youtube channel there will be a discussion on this book! hope you all can watch it. I loved every bit of this book, I finished ..."

The Alchemists didn't take Jill. Alicia did.


message 7: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC Wait that witch from indigo spell??


Rachel Anne Wait whos Alicia again?


message 9: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Bailey The witch from Indigo Spell


S.L.J. Cassandra wrote: "Wait that witch from indigo spell??"

Yep. In SS Trey said a girl came looking for Sage and Adrian. Sydney slashed up her face in Indigo Spell. Alicia is back for revenge.


message 11: by JJ (new)

JJ I think we were all mad at Adrian for getting drunk and neglecting his dream searches. Especially because he let Sydney down for what two weeks? In retrospect that wasn't too bad because Sydney did some reckless stuff right after coming in contact with him so who knows maybe she would have madematters worst for herself. Back to Adrian, so as much as I hated him for giving up I had to remind myself that months had passed with him trying to keeping it together with no leads, add to that that he had been off spirit for some time and then it all came crashing together, and less not forget that as a Moroi he has lived a pampered life so unlike Dimitri or any other Damphir for that matter, he has no training. It still doesn't excuse how easily he reverted but he needed to fail to get a wake up call. Also one of the things that I like about Richelle Mead is that she doesn't built her characters without fault. Remember Frostbite when Rose gave the location of the Strigoi to Mason? Adrian is liable to screw up just as anyone else is and I too feel like he redeemed himself. That being said I just know there are going to be consequences for his relapse because rumors about his actions are bound to reach Sydney's ears and I don't think Nina will let things go.

That aside I loved how Dimitri gave Adrian a talk and some of his sage wisdom not to mention when he steped forward to protect Sydney and said he answered to Lisa and no one else. I was like yes Dimitri this is why I like you. Oh, and don't even get me started when Sydney was rescued by Marcus, Trey, Eddie, and Adrian, I was like, "Aww, Sydney's boys came to the rescue".


Rachel Anne Ohh I remember her now


message 13: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC S.L.J. wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Wait that witch from indigo spell??"

Yep. In SS Trey said a girl came looking for Sage and Adrian. Sydney slashed up her face in Indigo Spell. Alicia is back for revenge."


Omg i did not think it was Alicia


message 14: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC Cassandra wrote: "S.L.J. wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Wait that witch from indigo spell??"

Yep. In SS Trey said a girl came looking for Sage and Adrian. Sydney slashed up her face in Indigo Spell. Alicia is back for r..."


i forgot all about her


message 15: by Ovidio (last edited Jul 31, 2014 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ovidio Perez Everyone talking about how Alicia the witch from Indigo Spell kidnapped Jill and all I can say is bring it on. She got nothing on Sydney mad skills. I was kind of hoping Alicia died, but the fact is she mostly likely did not die in the fire like she was suppose to. O well, if she is coming for revenge how scary would it be if she joined the Alchemists? plot twist. Now we got two major villains that can cause a whole lot of harm or not. I guess we will all have to wait for the final book in the installment. I don't want it to end... >.<"


message 16: by Nifa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nifa "When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis."
that's from The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Mead so i'm pretty sure it was alicia who took jill..


Ovidio Perez Nifa wrote: ""When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis."
that's from The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Meadso i'm pretty sure it was ..."


Well it is very convincing that it might be Alicia, but for what purpose? is it to lure Sydney into a trap of some sorts. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I just hope Alicia has not teamed up with the Alchemists is all double the trouble... ^^"


Mirou Misaki wrote: "Nifa wrote: ""When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis."
that's from The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Meadso i'm pretty..."


Ohhh, I never thought about Alicia making an alliance with the Alchemists. Oh shit, that would complicate the situation.

Anyway, Any ideas why would be the end ? I mean, how are they going to escape/Resolve their problem with both the Alchemists and half of the Moroi ??


message 19: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L I really liked when they went to court and Adrian told everyone how much how loved Sydney! I can't wait until 2/10 for the next book!!!!!!


Alyssa Martinez Yep. In SS Trey said a girl came looking for Sage and Adrian. Sydney slashed up her face in Indigo Spell. Alicia is back for revenge."

You know I was thinking the same thing. When Trey brought up the human girl I kept waiting for her to be mentioned again and when she was never brought up and then Jill went missing I figured it had something to do with her. But never once did I think of Alicia... interesting.


message 21: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili Yes, it must be Alicia. I just re-read Indigo Spell, and she's described as having short platinum hair and hipster glasses.

Wait ... what? HOW AM I SAYING THIS SO DAMN CALMLY?!


message 22: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili I'm not usually a fan of Vegas weddings, but this one was so damn commemorative!

It was the first time Sydney laid eyes on Adrian, you guys!! The first time she ever admitted a Moroi was cute!!!!!


message 23: by Emily (last edited Aug 08, 2014 05:17PM) (new) - added it

Emily Misaki wrote: "OMG! Where to begin, where to begin, for starters I finished it in like a day. I was in agony seeing Sydney being tortured like that. Half the time I wanted to slap Adrian for being the saddest dru..."

To be fair, Dimitri doesn't suffer from a mental illness like Adrian does. Bipolar disorder is no joke. It would have been super unrealistic on Richelle's part not to have Adrian legitimately struggle with his depression/mania, and I'm hesitant to say that it makes him weaker than Dimitri, because then that sort of implies that people with mental illnesses, in general, are weaker than those without them. I thought how Adrian acted in his first few chapters was totally realistic and should have been expected. Trauma and disruptions in our lives affect us all, but they hit people with an illness like Adrian's particularly hard. Feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness are actual symptoms of bipolar depression. Obviously, people who aren't bipolar or depressed experience these feelings too - Dimitri very well might have if Rose was taken, but for someone like Adrian who suffers from bipolar depression, these feelings can be absolutely debilitating, to the point where it's a struggle to even get out of bed. This is something that's entirely out of Adrian's control, especially in this book. He couldn't take his medication, because he needed spirit to reach Sydney - spirit also worsens the symptoms of his bipolar depression/mania, as does going off the pills abruptly in the way that he did...so, yeah, of course he was going to be a mess. His brain is literally messed up on top of everything - that is a lot to grapple with, and something that a character like Dimitri has never had to deal with. Really, it couldn't have gone any other way, because as an author, you can't just give a character a mental illness and then ignore all the ways that illness manifests and impacts a person's life.

With that in mind, actually, I think Adrian was incredibly strong in this book. It's not easy at all to pull yourself out of such a severe depression like he did, and I don't think that should be undervalued. What he did to Nina was shitty, but calling him weak really rubs me the wrong way because of the larger implications. Struggling with a mental illness does not make you weak, and managing to be productive and accomplish the feats that Adrian did in spite of it takes incredible strength.


message 24: by RJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

RJ Lekgau S.L.J. wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "I loved this book, it was my favorite one in the series so far. On my youtube channel there will be a discussion on this book! hope you all can watch it. I loved every bit of this..."

I knew it! Well I had a strong feeling about it.


message 25: by Zayna (new) - added it

Zayna Misaki wrote: "Nifa wrote: ""When the life of someone they both love is put on the line, Sydney risks everything to hunt down a deadly former nemesis."
that's from The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Meadso i'm pretty..."


Or just plain revenge since Sydney kind-of messed up her face.


message 26: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC check out all my thoughts on my youtube channel1


Sharon L wrote: "I really liked when they went to court and Adrian told everyone how much how loved Sydney! I can't wait until 2/10 for the next book!!!!!!"

IKR? My feels were all over the place, I screamed in AND hugged my pillow. When Jared kept arguing, I was like, SHUT UP, JARED! And when Nathan continued after the Alchemists left, I felt like slapping him so hard. I was like, IT'S NOT LIKE YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HOW ADRIAN FEELS SO SHUT UP!

HOW DARE NATHAN IVASHKOV INSULT SYDNEY!!!!! I now hate him a bit more than before.


message 28: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili I know how you feel, Sharon!
I was glad Ian was now crushing on Zoe -- it seemed that way definitely.
Those two idiots deserve each other


Sharon Totally. At first, I was like JERK. Then I realized they actually do deserve each other.


message 30: by Zayna (new) - added it

Zayna Ian in my option is just an ass kisser just like Zoe and I too think they deserve each other. Ian can go kiss my ass and I hope Zoe feels very guilty for what she put Sydney through.


Shannon I'm pretty sure no one likes Zoe.....
But at the same time, you have to remember that Sydney USED to be the same way Zoe is. She didn't do all the HORRIBLE things Zoe has done, but Zoe was brought up a certain way and in a weird and twisted fashion, she's only doing what she thinks is right.
Not trying to defend her really.... just another perspective. She IS responsible for what she did to Sydney. I just feel bad for her for the situation she is in.


Ovidio Perez Shannon wrote: "I'm pretty sure no one likes Zoe.....
But at the same time, you have to remember that Sydney USED to be the same way Zoe is. She didn't do all the HORRIBLE things Zoe has done, but Zoe was brought ..."


The only difference if the situations were reversed Sydney never would have never turned in Zoe to their Father. I just know she wouldn't have done something like that. Sydney would have kept it a secret and tried to have understand Zoe on a better level... >.<"


Sharon Never thought of it that way. Good point. Zoe should have tried to understand Sydney more.


message 34: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili Yeah, that's what I say.
Oh, and 'ass-kisser'
I was looking for a more appropriate term than 'idiots' but couldn't think of any.
Thanks Zayna


Shannon Misaki wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I'm pretty sure no one likes Zoe.....
But at the same time, you have to remember that Sydney USED to be the same way Zoe is. She didn't do all the HORRIBLE things Zoe has done, but ..."


Yeah! I think that is true. Sydney is (I think) bolder, and more able to make her own decisions because she is older. However, it's also worth considering where Zoe's family loyalty lies. Zoe is very loyal to her father and to the Alchemists. By turning Sydney in, does she really believe that she is doing the right thing for Sydney-- does she believe it will make her better? or has Zoe lost all sense of loyalty to her sister and turned her in only in spite of the fact that she broke the rules?!

Because Sydney has a very strong loyalty to her "family" too-- she loves her sisters and would do what she thinks is best for them (imagine if she was originally brainwashed to believe that the best thing was Re-education)
Not sure if there is "brainwashing" powerful enough to do that, but, hey, who knows?!


Shannon Wow haha I really sound like I'm trying to defend Zoe.... but again, it's weird to look at it from different perspectives.


message 37: by Nikita (last edited Aug 22, 2014 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nikita Zoe is a pain and I'm not trying to defend her or anything but I'm sure she's feeling some kind of guilt.

I get that Zoe is loyal to the Alchemists and wants to impress her dad. Sydney was once like that but she came around after spending some time with Rose, Jill, Eddie and Adrian. Zoe is just young and is easily manipulated by scary Daddy Sage. By turning Sydney in, she believed she was doing the right thing.

I think Zoe still loves her sister, she's just confused. It's not like she's out to get back at Sydney out of jealously or hatred.

As much as I hated her for her role in the Fiery Heart, I do hope that she'll start to see Sydney's point of view in the Ruby Circle.


message 38: by Lili (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lili Yeah, I also feel Zoe's not completely one-dimensional. I sincerely hope RM shows her to be a complex character in TRC that is equal parts good and equal parts bad. I hate it when authors create characters that are singularly good or evil.


Monique Kovac Silver Shadows kind of disappointed me. I like to think I am one of Richelle Meads biggest fans and lately there are just some things that I want to roll my eyes about. This book. I mean, after the last one I was interested in what would happen next but I wasn't that excited like how I normally am. And I had no idea why. I think I found out about SS being released like two days before it was. Usually I have a countdown.

Not so much anymore.

I just felt like it was rushed and too mushy for me. The reason why I loved Vampire Academy was because Rose was such a badass and the love between Dimitri and Rose is undeniable. Their love story is truly epic and they have to keep fighting to be with each other no matter what happens. I mean, Rose was willing to KILL Dimitri when he became Strigoi. She had to drop her entire life, her education, her chance to guard Lissa, and all her friends just to keep a promise to him.

Sydney goes missing for months and is being tortured and Adrian gives up on her? And for some reason I feel like they hardly know each other. I don't know. To me their living in a fantasy land.

I would like to see them end up together, but not this rushed and not without sacrifice.


Ovidio Perez Nikki wrote: "Silver Shadows kind of disappointed me. I like to think I am one of Richelle Meads biggest fans and lately there are just some things that I want to roll my eyes about. This book. I mean, after the..."

Giirrl I can pretty much say we all prefer Rose & Dimitri over Sydney & Adrian story. I mean come on who wouldn't? Rose is a badass chick that is not afraid to go down fighting. She be like bring it on, but this series isn't about them. So we just got to keep our cool and hope to see them every now and then when they get mention in the book... <3


message 41: by S.L.J. (last edited Aug 22, 2014 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

S.L.J. Nikki wrote: "Silver Shadows kind of disappointed me. I like to think I am one of Richelle Meads biggest fans and lately there are just some things that I want to roll my eyes about. This book. I mean, after the..."

I'll admit I was a bit disappointed in SS as well. Things seemed to work out way to conveniently. I thought Adrian's Telekinesis was pretty cool but he's been in ten books now and this is the first we've heard about it. I mean would it have been so hard to include a scene where we see him practicing it in preparation for rescuing Sydney? Nope, he can just do it all of sudden.

Adrian never really gave up on Sydney, he just gave into his own depression. Rose had an idea of where Dimitri would go because she knew him but Sydney was taken by a bunch of people who's job it is not to leave any trace. Which makes it a bit difficult to just drop everything and go off on some crazy quest after them since he had no clue where she was being held.

And Rose kind of screwed up the whole 'willing to kill him' thing because she stopped Eddie from doing it which directly resulted in the deaths of some poor innocent humans in Vegas. And everything she dropped she also got back without much fuss. So I wouldn't really use her as a shining example.


Monique Kovac S.L.J. wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Silver Shadows kind of disappointed me. I like to think I am one of Richelle Meads biggest fans and lately there are just some things that I want to roll my eyes about. This book. I m..."

Yea, I get your point. He didn't necessarily give up, but it was just kinda disappointing to me that it seemed like he barley exhausted himself with saving her. And I still think if Dimitri didn't go somewhere willingly and actually got kidnapped by random Strigoi, Rose would have still gone after him just because she's relentless like that. And obviously she could kick some butt.

Mostly I was just mad at the way things played out with the wedding and stuff.

And Misaki, hell yes. :D


Shannon Haha (totally not trying to get in an argument)-- Honestly haha. But personally I like Bloodlines more than VA. I LOVE both series. I feel like Bloodlines is just more relatable and means more personally to ME. Like I said though.... I DO NOT want to start a fight about which one is better. That's totally worthless. Everyone is going to have their own opinion because books ALWAYS mean different things to different readers. So I TOTALLY respect and love hearing your opinion, and I wanted to share mine. (:


Monique Kovac Yep, every one has different tastes, so no argument here. :) VA was more for me because it was one of the greatest book series I've ever grown to love and I was really young when I read it. It was like drugs for me, haha.


message 45: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Bailey Also I think we should take into account that Rose doesn't have Spirit like Adrian does. She doesn't have her dead aunt with her the whole time.


Monique Kovac Yet she does kinda have Lissas whole dead family and Mason at the edge of her sanity that actually physically harm her when she's weak or hurt or something like that. Sooo that whole, my dead aunts giving me advice thing is kinda irrelevant.


message 47: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Also not to start a fight, but I much, much, much prefer Bloodlines and Adrian/Sydney to VA and Rose/Dimitri. Again, as I said above, Adrian is not weak and did not give up on Sydney. It's not even just "spirit" - Adrian is bipolar. That is a severe, life-threatening mental illness. Neither Rose nor Dimitri had to grapple with anything remotely close to that, and Adrian did manage to pull through. Getting annoyed or impatient with a bipolar person for going through a depression is like getting mad and impatient with someone with pneumonia for coughing.


Shannon Emily wrote: "Also not to start a fight, but I much, much, much prefer Bloodlines and Adrian/Sydney to VA and Rose/Dimitri. Again, as I said above, Adrian is not weak and did not give up on Sydney. It's not even..."

I wholeheartedly agree! Thanks for sharing...


S.L.J. Emily wrote: "Also not to start a fight, but I much, much, much prefer Bloodlines and Adrian/Sydney to VA and Rose/Dimitri. Again, as I said above, Adrian is not weak and did not give up on Sydney. It's not even..."

His spirit madness has personified into an imaginary friend and if it hadn't taken on the form of his dead aunt he'd probably have a hard time being able to tell if it was really or not.

At least he hasn't become an insomniac and started up a fight club. :P


message 50: by Marina (new) - added it

Marina Bailey Thank you Emily :D I agree completely


« previous 1
back to top