Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
This topic is about The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Sáenz,Benjamin Alire--The Inexplicable Logic of My Life informal buddy read starts July 10, 2018

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Synopsis
The first day of senior year:

Everything is about to change. Until this moment, Sal has always been certain of his place with his adoptive gay father and their loving Mexican-American family. But now his own history unexpectedly haunts him, and life-altering events force him and his best friend, Samantha, to confront issues of faith, loss, and grief.

Suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and discovering that he no longer knows who he really is—but if Sal’s not who he thought he was, who is he?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Eldarwen | 10483 comments Mod
I loved Aristotle and Dante and I hope this one will be able to follow in its footsteps!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Ohhhhhh I didn't know he had written Aristotle and Dante! I've been meaning to read that book for a while

(Team Tonks)

message 6: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Aristotle and Dante was so good, and I got this book for almost nothing as an ebook a while back. Should probably get it read, so I'm in!

message 7: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I started a day early because I finished my last book early but without enough time to read something else. And y'all, my heart. Aristotle and Dante was primarily about the two MCs and their relationship, but this one is a lot wider, I think. I'm a bit over 25% done and I have feels.

Sounds promising! :-)

I'm going to be late in reading this as I have another two books to finish up.

message 9: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Sounds promising! :-)

I'm going to be late in reading this as I have another two books to finish up."

I, uh...it's 3 in the morning here and I just finished. I cried so hard I have a headache.

Ooooh noooo o.O

Ok, I will read it in peace and quiet then hehe, and not drag it along to work to read in public ;-)
Thanks for the warning!

Sorry, sorry, it took me a while but will start this tomorrow! Aaaand, if it goes well, I might get a good chunk read so we can talk a little :-)

I hope your tears have dried in the meantime! ;-)

I'm up to page 66 in my edition, about to start the chapter called "Fito".

Doing a BR makes me realise that not having chapter numbers is going to make this a little difficult haha but I generally like that the chapters don't have numbers but actual titles.

So far, I'm enjoying this. Salvador is an interesting character and I really like the relationship he has with his father. Sam is a bit of an oddball but their friendship seems to work pretty well.

It's already shaping up to be an interesting ride with just the first handful of chapters!

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I'm not sure that I can read this soon! I'll let you know if I can join in. I have quite a few books to catch up on for buddy reads and I'm back at university. D:

I'll read this at the same time as the current BOM and the previous BOM so I'll take it slow so you can try and catch up - depending on how things go for you :-)

I know the problem of having to catch up on BRs all too well haha.

Very fast read this - I can see why you got through it so quickly, Alanna!

I finished up the first two parts. No chapter numbers but parts, so that's helpful hehe.

A lot is going on now and (view spoiler)

I love all the characters. They are all great in their own ways. I think my favourite might be Vicente.

message 16: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Very fast read this - I can see why you got through it so quickly, Alanna!

I finished up the first two parts. No chapter numbers but parts, so that's helpful hehe.

A lot is going on now and not a..."

Vicente is definitely one of my two favorite characters.

One of the things I like most about Saenz's writing is how in-the-moment it feels. Like, from my new shiny adult perspective I can see how teenagery Sal is being, but I also remember having these same existential crisis feelings for what must have seemed from the outside to be no reason. Sal is starting the grieving process, but other than that Saenz isn't giving him false reasons for his feelings and I love that.

Mmhh, you're right. I love that about the way Sal is written, or the way Ari was written even. You're just right there with him, inside his head while he is wondering what on earth is going on with himself and the world/life.

I like that he is a teenager, acts like one, thinks like one, but at the same time, even though there are no particular reasons for some of his behaviour or thought process ((view spoiler)), he doesn't feel like these annoying teenagers in some other YA novels. He has things to process, to figure out but he isn't a whiny git about it and throwing tantrums. Instead, he is there for the people who need him despite the inner turmoil.

In short, I like him :-)

I've finished part three now.

What is your other favourite character? Since you said Vicente was one of them. Is the second one Sal or someone else?

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I started this tonight. It’s 1:31am now and I should be getting enough sleep for work tomorrow but I haven’t!

I was surprised at how this book has gripped me so far. I’m up to page 118 in my ebook. Chapter 33 in part two.

I’m glad you’re taking your time Eldarwen! I have caught up on a few buddy reads. But still have a few more
I had to restrict myself from signing up for more.

I’ll post my thoughts on your comments and this book tomorrow hopefully

Haha, seems to be a trend with this book! Staying up late and not getting enough sleep ;-)

I'm happy to hear though that you're able to join in and caught up on some other BRs!

I had to restrict myself as well.... less so this month because there weren't as many books that caught my fancy for July, but I really, really wanted to read two more books that popped up for BRs at the end of June but I just wouldn't have been able to manage.

message 21: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Eldarwen wrote: "What is your other favourite character? Since you said Vicente was one of them. Is the second one Sal or someone else?"

Fito. Always appreciate an intelligent booky character.

Absolutely. Fito is great. And I like that he makes the best out of the lot life has given him.

Finished Part Four - an interesting one!

Sam (view spoiler)

Salvie (view spoiler)

The world needs more guys like the ones in this book. It really, truly does.

Finished Part Five.

I am loving this. Sáenz writes coming of age in a truly fantastic way.

Fito: (view spoiler)

Finished the book.

LOVED it.

And definitely some tears towards the end, but a whole lot of smiling as well.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I finished too! I was reading it at night before I went to sleep. I have not had time to post things the past two days.

I loved this! I'm glad I read it.

I definitely agree with you both about how well written these teenagers are. I kind of wish I knew them. You know what they have is special.

And I really like how Sal and Sam aren't (view spoiler)

But damn. Why do they all have to (view spoiler) Eldarwen - I agree. Fito is kind of amazing. To not be on the path to where his mother was. I think it's admirable.

A few tears shed for me to. But I'm not torn up inside. I like how this book has made me feel. Glad I've read it

I agree!

Sam and Sal are (view spoiler)

Very true about the parent thing. (view spoiler)

But Fito.. yes. I think he's definitely the best out of the three teenagers. A hell of a strong personality to not let himself be dragged down that road when it would be so easy, considering his family and environment.

I was also happy for Vicente. (view spoiler)

But if you liked this one, you should really also read Ari and Dante. :-)

message 29: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jul 21, 2018 08:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I did think it was funny when Sal mentioned to his dad that Sam taught him that! I kept thinking... (view spoiler)

Parents - (view spoiler)

And yes! I actually really love how Sáenz addressed Sal's anger. I think it would help a lot of teenagers understand themselves and learn how to deal with it. I don't think anger is talked much about in high schools and I think it should be.

Vincente - Good points! (view spoiler)

But yeah! I definitely want to read Aristotle and Dante. Hopefully in August.

That is true. There is a severe lack of important topics in school anyway, but anger is definitely not something I remember coming across as an emotion that needs to be dealt with correctly.

I agree - (view spoiler)

What is the Georgia Nicholson series? Never heard that name before.

message 31: by Tina ❣ (last edited Jul 21, 2018 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Yes definitely! Fito as role model!

The Georgia Nicholson is written by Louise Rennison. There's 10 books and the first one is Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) by Louise Rennison
The 1st and 2nd books were made into a movie.
It's basically about a teenage in England, her friends, her family, her boy obsession and hilarity

Sounds fun! I'm not the biggest fan of journal-style books but I might give it a go.