Children's Books discussion

Mrs. Noah's Pockets
This topic is about Mrs. Noah's Pockets
Specific Books & Authors > Has anyone else read this strange picture book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob) (jenisnotabooksnob) | 170 comments My library just got this in and I was just blown away by it. It has very mixed reviews because of the liberties taken with the traditional Noah's Ark story.

It just utterly surprised me. If you are lucky enough to have it at a library near you and like picture books, I would check it out.

message 2: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6849 comments Mod
Very interesting reviews. I do feel encouraged to check out the original text, so I suppose Christians could consider that a plus?

I'll shelve it; maybe I'll get a chance to read it.

message 3: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 2280 comments That sounds like a fun book, especially for animal lovers. I like how it takes the familiar tale but makes it more down-to-earth and relatable for kids who may not come from a religious background.

Manybooks | 8838 comments Mod
QNPoohBear wrote: "That sounds like a fun book, especially for animal lovers. I like how it takes the familiar tale but makes it more down-to-earth and relatable for kids who may not come from a religious background."

It does sound fun, but it is kind of sad that already there are reviewers huffing and puffing about how blasphemous this book is.

message 5: by Cheryl , Newbery Club host (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 6849 comments Mod
Well, the conservative reviewers are absolutely entitled to their reaction. If it does iindeed say things contrary to the words in the Bible, that is a problem for some people. Just so long as they don't try to keep it away from other readers, they should feel free to say negative things about it. So far I see that they are doing so respectfully, tactfully, so, imo, yay for civil discourse.

Manybooks | 8838 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "Well, the conservative reviewers are absolutely entitled to their reaction. If it does iindeed say things contrary to the words in the Bible, that is a problem for some people. Just so long as they..."

Exactly, as long as they do not try to get the book banned or censored, I have no issues with them not liking it or even despising it, and at least for now, that has fortunately not been the case and I hope this is how it will remain.

message 7: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Manna | 6 comments What a lively discussion. I can't wait to borrow Mrs. Noah's Pockets from my local library. Always interesting when controversy enters a children's book discussion. I'm thinking about folks who object to writers--like myself--who reimagine folk- and fairy tales. Writers who take "liberties," or do they reshape a story to reflect changing values, sensitivities, awakenings? Is Mrs. Noah's Pockets an interpretation that deserves attention in the light of the times in which we live? On my way to my library!