The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
Group Read Discussions > June 2018 Group Thread - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill This is the tread to discuss The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Suzy is the moderator.

A separate thread is available for spoiler posts. Enjoy.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 581 comments I started this one a few days ago and I'm about 90 pages in so far. I like the author's writing style which reminds me a little bit of Gabriel García Márquez, possibly because both authors write in Spanish (I am reading an English-translated version).

message 3: by Mario (new)

Mario I also started and it looks really promising!

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1484 comments I read this last year and really enjoyed it.

Tone  | 318 comments I read this book many years ago when it was first released. Normally, I stay away from the typical bestsellers, but decided to make an exception for this book. It was absolutely worth it. The story gave me a new perspective of post-war Spain. It also showed me a totally different Barcelona than I've ever known as a visitor.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Hi all - I'm excited to moderate the discussion for The Shadow of the Wind. I've had this on my tbr for a few years so was happy it won the poll for the June book.

I'm about 20% into the audiobook and really liking it. It's beautifully produced with many passages accompanied by piano. I'll pick up the hard copy from my library today to follow along. So many names and places to keep track of, plus it will make it easier to make comments about specific passages.

M.L. | 365 comments I hope to read this. Tone's post about post-war Spain and Barcelona is intriguing.

Selmah Smith | 3 comments Read this last year and enjoyed it. Quite different from my usual book choices. i was surprised to enjoy the mystical quality.

Summer (paradisecity) | 48 comments Selmah wrote: "Read this last year and enjoyed it. Quite different from my usual book choices. i was surprised to enjoy the mystical quality."

Seconded. We read this in my book club a while back and most people enjoyed it even though we weren't really the target audience. I thought the writing was so lyrical and pretty, and there was a great sense of atmosphere. Months later I don't remember much about the plot but I do remember enjoying the writing.

Selmah Smith | 3 comments I have only the vaguest memory of the plot. When i think of the book I recall an atmosphere of kindness. I'm not sure why,

Piyumi | 6 comments Hi :) glad this book got selected.
Last year I was looking to reading some translated works and came across this and it was a good read, really liked the plot.
I see this thread is for the ones who are about to read it.
I'll join in when everyone has made some head way with the book.
Looking forward to the discussions
Happy reading

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments It's interesting to see the comments about the plot. Some feel it's not memorable and Piyumi liked the plot! I look forward to seeing what I think about that.

I continue to enjoy the audio, with the print book for reference when needed. Anyone else wish there were a list of characters in the front of the book? I've created my own - was having a hard time keeping track of who was who.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Randy wrote: "I started this one a few days ago and I'm about 90 pages in so far. I like the author's writing style which reminds me a little bit of Gabriel García Márquez, possibly because both a..."

I agree. The writing evokes a similar feeling. They both have a magical element too. I started it last month just to get a feel for it and I want to read it (later in the month). This book is very different from the typical mysteries we read in this group. The writing is more literary, and the pace is slower.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Suzy wrote: "It's interesting to see the comments about the plot. Some feel it's not memorable and Piyumi liked the plot! I look forward to seeing what I think about that.

I continue to enjoy the audio, with ..."

Maybe you could share your list? I'll see you later in the month.

message 15: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments NancyJ wrote: "Suzy wrote: "It's interesting to see the comments about the plot. Some feel it's not memorable and Piyumi liked the plot! I look forward to seeing what I think about that.

I continue to enjoy the..."

I was thinking the same - that it would be a good idea to share the list. Let me see if it's something that would be easy to share. I should have said "I'm creating" vs "I've created". :)

Tawallah | 38 comments I recently read this book and it does have great atmosphere and tension. Made me want to be transported to Barcelona and enjoy the book even more. The pace is slower than most thrillers but enjoyable.

Piyumi | 6 comments Suzy wrote: "It's interesting to see the comments about the plot. Some feel it's not memorable and Piyumi liked the plot! I look forward to seeing what I think about that.

I continue to enjoy the audio, with ..."

Ah, is it difficult to keep a track of the characters then....i don't recall that...hhmm I think I'll browse through the book again :D

Piyumi | 6 comments June wrote: "I recently read this book and it does have great atmosphere and tension. Made me want to be transported to Barcelona and enjoy the book even more. The pace is slower than most thrillers but enjoyable."

I agree June, the atmosphere and the nostalgia the plot evoked was very likable. And the pace was good, yes

Franky | 954 comments June wrote: "I recently read this book and it does have great atmosphere and tension. Made me want to be transported to Barcelona and enjoy the book even more. The pace is slower than most thrillers but enjoyable."

I agree too about the atmosphere. I read this a few years ago and am normally wary about books that get a lot of hype but I felt like this one lived up to the hype very much. Also, I like reading about books about books.

message 20: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 365 comments I'll be getting my copy tomorrow and should be starting this weekend. Looking forward to it.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 581 comments About a third of the way through and it's slow but good. The writing seems less like Gabriel García Márquez at this point although it felt very similar to his style early on.

message 22: by Suzy (last edited Jun 07, 2018 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Looping back after about 65% done with the book.

I've been thinking about the comments about "plot". I think a good question for discussion in the spoiler thread would be "what is the plot or the central mystery of this book?" I can see how the plot might not be memorable because there are so many threads. In my capturing the cast of characters, I'm also making some notes about what's going on in the present and in the past. Let's save that conversation for the spoiler thread, but wanted to put that out there for your consideration.

message 23: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Summer wrote: "Selmah wrote: "Read this last year and enjoyed it. Quite different from my usual book choices. i was surprised to enjoy the mystical quality."

Seconded. We read this in my book club a while back a..."

Your comment about not being the target audience intrigues me! Who do you see as the target for this book?

Also the comments about this not being the usual fare for this group are very apt. I just looked at the shelves people put this book on and mystery is only about 1/3 with Fiction and Historical Fiction making up 2/3. I for one am glad we picked it however. There is a mystery at its core and the atmosphere is very mysterious throughout.

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 7 comments Starting tomorrow! Live in small town Mississippi so it took a while to get from library..looking forward to reading and joining in the discussion! First timer!

Alondra Miller This was one of my favorite reads, this past year. I really hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Good luck

message 26: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Mallory wrote: "Starting tomorrow! Live in small town Mississippi so it took a while to get from library..looking forward to reading and joining in the discussion! First timer!"

Welcome! Look forward to your thoughts.

message 27: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 365 comments I started last night. I love the writing, love the translation. The translator keeps the flavor of the book.

message 28: by Suzy (last edited Jun 10, 2018 02:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Hi everyone - I asked Bill to create a discussion thread for a list of characters which is up. I thought it would be good to have a place to add the list separate from our two discussions. I will try to make that list tomorrow - I have it only handwritten. It really helped me track what was going on!

message 29: by M.L. (last edited Jun 11, 2018 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 365 comments Thanks for the character list!

Here is a quote I think many can identify with. It's early in the book before Chapter 1. It's about books, not plot or anything so not a spoiler :). He's talking about the first special books a reader encounters.

"Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return.”

message 30: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments M.L. Roberts wrote: "Thanks for the character list!

Here is a quote I think many can identify with. It's early in the book before Chapter 1. It's about books, not plot or anything so not a spoiler :). He's talking abo..."

I love that quote too! Was thinking about including it in my review - still pondering what to say.

message 31: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments The lists of characters are up! Hope they are helpful!

Piyumi | 6 comments Suzy wrote: "The lists of characters are up! Hope they are helpful!"

Thank you Suzy

message 33: by Summer (last edited Jun 12, 2018 09:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Summer (paradisecity) | 48 comments Suzy wrote: "Your comment about not being the target audience intrigues me! Who do you see as the target for this book?..."

This book felt a little reminiscent of One Hundred Years of Solitude and I think Garcia Marquez is an acquired taste. For readers who like him, I think this would be a great read. But it was a little too weird for me, and kind of mish-mashy with too many different elements. If I’m going to invest this much time and effort in a book, I want to see the characters learn and grow and change. Here, I just felt like we were being told a story about how the characters were, without an eye toward change.

message 34: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Summer wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Your comment about not being the target audience intrigues me! Who do you see as the target for this book?..."

This book felt a little reminiscent of [book:One Hundred Years of Solitu..."

I know even the book blurb says "writing like Garcia Marquez"! Even though One Hundred years has many 5 star reviews, I couldn't get past the first 100pp. I did enjoy this one, but it also has mixed reviews.

message 35: by Wend (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Suzy wrote: "Summer wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Your comment about not being the target audience intrigues me! Who do you see as the target for this book?..."

This book felt a little reminiscent of [book:One Hundred ..."

i didn't like 100 years either, but I did enjoy this book.

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 7 comments I love the quote you mentioned M.L ! That description is exactly what I long to find in a book. The Shadow of the Wind is the first book I've ever read that is so intriguingly written that now I will be on the hunt for more authors with this type of storytelling. I love the mystery and I'm excited to know when Daniel crosses the Devil's path again! I'm at the point where Daniel takes Bea to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Loving it! Thank you for choosing this awesome read and I will keep ya'll updated!

message 37: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Mallory wrote: "I love the quote you mentioned M.L ! That description is exactly what I long to find in a book. The Shadow of the Wind is the first book I've ever read that is so intriguingly written that now I wi..."

Oh, I'm excited that you are enjoying the book and the mystery just keeps getting deeper and deeper! If you end up having a hard time tracking who is who, there is another thread listing all the characters.

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 7 comments Thank you Suzy!! That's a great idea!!

message 39: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt | 4 comments I haven't read a book in a long time where I experienced such a wide range of emotions. I was totally engrossed with this book! Thank you for selecting!

message 40: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 365 comments There are so many quotes I thought of marking but there are just too many. Authors and title are throughout the book. I'll add a few to the spoiler thread. Wonderfully immersive book.

message 41: by Shabbeer (new) - added it

Shabbeer Hassan | 7 comments Just got the book from my library. Looking forward to reading it :)

message 42: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments M.L. wrote: "There are so many quotes I thought of marking but there are just too many. Authors and title are throughout the book. I'll add a few to the spoiler thread. Wonderfully immersive book."

I agree about too many quotes to mark and make note of them! So much quotable writing. I hadn't kept track of other author and books - perhaps because I mainly read the audiobook, although I did take the time to list the characters for my own sanity!

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 7 comments Hello again! I'm about finished with the book and I'm kinda sad because I haven't read a book in years that is so enthralling, I'm amazed by this author's talent of storytelling..I'm late for starting July read but I'll catch up with you guys for August!! Thanks for the introduction to a fantastic book!

message 44: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Mallory wrote: "Hello again! I'm about finished with the book and I'm kinda sad because I haven't read a book in years that is so enthralling, I'm amazed by this author's talent of storytelling..I'm late for start..."

I agree, Mallory! I'm so glad the group picked this and found it really engaging, if occasionally frustrating keeping track of all those characters! :) Do you think you'll read the other books in the series? I'm contemplating and would love to do a buddy read with you (and others) who participated in the group read.

Mallory Kirkland (malloryscalerie) | 7 comments Definitely!! I was going to ask if there were any other books written by the author 😊 I'd love to do a buddy read! Do have the title by any chance? I'm so excited!

message 46: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty | 3079 comments There are 4 books in the series
1. Shadow of the Wind
2. Angel's Game
3. The Prisoner of Heaven
4. The Labyrinth of Spirits

I didn't know about the fourth. I was meant to read this thread!

message 47: by Suzy (last edited Sep 26, 2018 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Hi All - a couple of us who read Shadow of the Wind plan to do a buddy read of the other books, starting with Angel's Game. I've set up a buddy read discussion thread in the folder "Buddy Reads". Please join if you'd like! (I will begin reading/commenting soon.) Here's the link to the discussion thread. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 48: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 44 comments As usual, I'm late to the party. I put off reading this book yet at the same time I was very intrigued by it because of my Goodreads friends who read it, (and whose taste in books is usually very close to mine), half loved it and half hated it. I finally decided to read it because it's been sitting on my shelf for over ten years. So it turns out that I really enjoyed it. I can understand why some people were disappointed in it if they were expecting something that read more like a traditional mystery story.