What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Set in Dordogne with a mill

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments I read the book in about 2000-2010. The setting of Dordogne was extremely important as the author spend a lot of time describing the area, the forest, the mill, the stream and the map of the area. I believe the story jumped from present time back to a time in the past. There was a scene in the forest with horses. Thank you!

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments Maybe Timeline?

message 3: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments No not Timeline. Thank you for looking!

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments What about The Caves of Perigord by Martin Walker?

message 5: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments No not Caves of Perigore. Thanks for researching! It was definitely set in Dordogne.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments What genre is the book?
Do you remember anything else about the plot or characters?
Anything about the cover?

message 7: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments The mill over the stream in Dordogne was an important factor. I know it jumped from medieval times to present. I can’t remember if it was a mystery. I remember I wanted to visit Dordogne after reading the novel. I’m sorry I can’t remember more! I know I really liked the book.

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Perhaps Timeline by Michael Crichton? I never read it, so I don't know how descriptive it is, but it does include time travel into medieval France.

message 9: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments Hum... you are the second person to mention Timeline so I read a bit more carefully about the plot. I don’t remember those specifics but it is set in DORDOGNE! AND jumps back in time. That seems too coincidental. I’m going to pick it up and give it another read. I have to thank you both for probably solving this mystery for me!

message 10: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 05, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Dianna wrote: "Hum... you are the second person to mention Timeline so I read a bit more carefully about the plot. "

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the previous post.

Dianna wrote: " That seems too coincidental. "

Not necessarily. Someone was recently looking for a book called something like "Abandoned," told from the POV of a stray cat, with a picture of a grey cat on the cover. I posted a book called "The Abandoned," told from the POV of a stray cat, with a picture of a grey cat on the cover . . . and it was the wrong book!

Anyway, good luck with your search!

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Here is a list of several books set in Dordogne:
https://www.goodreads.com/places/995-...

Maybe it is there...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Could it be Labyrinth or another one in that series? Published in 2005, set in France, goes between present and historical times, seems to have countryside descriptions and there is a map at the beginning of the book.

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36481 comments Mod
Is romance an important element? If yes, can you describe the couple and how they meet?

message 14: by Yoga Mama (new)

Yoga Mama namaste | 16 comments Honestly I can’t remember too much about the book except the setting, the mill, the stream, the time travel, forest, horses, etc. Dordogne impressed me so much I wanted to travel there. I have put Timeline by Michael Crichton on my list of books to read. From the descriptions this may be it! Goodreads is so awesome. Thanks everyone for your help! I only wish Goodreads would require a last name or a knick name for our user names!! Hard to figure out who is who here!

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40558 comments Mod
Dianna, are you still looking for this or did you find it?