What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Incantation
This topic is about Incantation
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Historical fiction about the Inquisition (or something like it) where a girl and her family are pretending to be Christians. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany Johnson | 4 comments I read this about two years ago but I think it’s older than that. A girl finds out her family is actually Jewish, not Christian, around the time people are really getting prosecuted for not being Christian. Her neighbors are dragged out of their house (and presumably killed) for being Christian. Her mom is an artist and there are lots of mentions about blue and how the neighbor’s daughters cried so much the pavement was stained blue (there were also bloodstains the girl was told not to wash off, but she tried to anyways and just puked without even washing it off). They also had a secret room under their stairs. She was in love with her best friend’s cousin, but the best friend ended up an awful person by the end.
I’m going to put a spoiler about the end of the book so here’s a warning just in case I formatted it wrong
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 27, 2018 03:22PM) (new)

Kris | 36591 comments Mod
Incantation by Alice Hoffman?

Quote: "My mother was known for the yarn she sold... yarn that was dyed every shade of blue imaginable. Turquoise, aqua, night blue, ultramarine, bird's egg blue, early morning blue, inside-of-a-cloud blue, ..."

This Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "young adult" "historical fiction"
artist -ww2 inquisition jewish

...lead to the Spanish Inquisition in YA Middle Grade Fiction list.

message 3: by Gwyne (new) - added it

Gwyne | 1 comments Yea that's totally Incantation

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still out there, Bethany?

Thirding Incantation.

message 5: by Bethany (new) - added it

Bethany Johnson | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Still out there, Bethany?

Thirding Incantation."

Yes ! I never got other notifications for these comments somehow but you all were totally right !

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Great news, thanks for the update!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Incantation (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alice Hoffman (other topics)