Play Book Tag discussion

20 views
Archive: Other Books > The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4608 comments The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - 4 stars

One-line summary: Engaging and imaginative story of relationships and acceptance in the form of a space opera.

Science fiction set hundreds of years in the future on the Wayfarer, a ship that constructs wormholes to facilitate space travel, Chambers builds a universe teeming with diverse species and cultures. The characters take center stage, and they are given enough attention to understand their personalities and motivations. This book provides a positive image of the future. Mostly, the different species show respect to each other and attempt to understand their cultures. Of course, wars and speciesism (future equivalent of today’s racism) still exist and create a good part of the dramatic tension in the story. Themes include acceptance of differences, family, friendship, personhood, teamwork, and creative problem solving.

Chambers writes lucidly about technical concepts and creates an interesting cast of characters. I especially enjoyed the camaraderie of the Wayfarer’s crew. This book differs from other science fiction in that it is not militaristic, humans are not the smartest or most powerful beings, and space travel is available to all. While this book is listed as part of a series, it can be read as a standalone. Recommended to science fiction enthusiasts, and those that enjoy character-driven stories.

As a side note, do NOT buy the Kindle version of this book, as it is missing at least six pages where there should be text! I did not let this defect impact my review and have notified Amazon.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 2: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I adored this book. It's definitely one of the more optimistic space operas out there.


message 3: by Nicole R (last edited May 23, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also liked this one! But, I have not read any of the other books in this series. And, I think she has a new one coming out this summer...

Joy, did you watch Firefly? The space opera Whedon show from....late 90s, maybe? It reminded me of that so much!


message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Such a fun read! The audio was great. I must get to the second one at some stage. I just finished the Illuminae series which was equally as fun.


message 5: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4608 comments Hebah wrote: "I adored this book. It's definitely one of the more optimistic space operas out there."

I agree, Hebah! It was a nice change of pace from those containing dire warnings.

Nicole R wrote: "I also liked this one! But, I have not read any of the other books in this series. And, I think she has a new one coming out this summer...

Joy, did you watch Firefly? The space opera Whedon show ..."


I have never seen Firefly, Nicole. It reminded me a bit of Star Trek without the military overtones.

Susie wrote: "Such a fun read! The audio was great. I must get to the second one at some stage. I just finished the Illuminae series which was equally as fun."

Susie, I'll have to check into the Illuminae series.


message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5155 comments Joy, you have to give Firefly a try! It's one of the greatest shows ever! It's on Netflix. And the movie Serenity is an encapsulation of what would have been the second season if it hadn't been cancelled.


message 7: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Just put on my TBR list. The Firefly comparison sealed it for me. :)


message 8: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4608 comments annapi wrote: "Joy, you have to give Firefly a try! It's one of the greatest shows ever! It's on Netflix. And the movie Serenity is an encapsulation of what would have been the second season if it hadn't been can..."

Yes, annapi, I will check it out!

Amy wrote: "Just put on my TBR list. The Firefly comparison sealed it for me. :)"

I will look forward to hearing what you think of it once you get a chance to read it, Amy!


message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Everybody in my family loved this and I have reread it, and read the next in the series. Then I lost my copy of the next, and so will have to buy it again so I can pass it around my family....


back to top