SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > Deadpool 2

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Who's going? Who's been?

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 685 comments I have seen it and it his hilarious. As for Deadpool's girlfriend, just stay until the hidden scenes at the end of the credits have played. Those scenes are very important for the plot, as well as being also hilarious.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam II (sbmillerii) | 11 comments Just got back from the theater. Would see the movie again for sure. Be careful to sit through the credits.

message 4: by Ruth (last edited May 22, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Ruth | 157 comments Loved the sequence where DP recruited all those second-tier superheroes, arranged a parachute drop, and (view spoiler).
The part where Juggernaut (view spoiler) was also good - basically over-the-top gross humour is what DP does best.
Hated the Vanessa storyline, (view spoiler) was an awful choice on so many levels - a boring, lazy, problematic, and utterly stereotypical trope. There were a few other bits I thought were lazy too - and no, having your protagonist break the 4th wall to say 'well that's just lazy writing!' doesn't make it OK.
And yeah, sure, they used the timey-wimey thing to (view spoiler)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I liked the cameos.

The Matt Damon "you'll never actually recognize him" cameo, along with Alan Tudyk, who I did recognize even though he had one line.

And the "blink and you'll miss it" Brad Pitt cameo.

Ruth - I totally agree with the lazy writing thing. Hanging a lampshade on it is amusing and all, but doesn't stop it from being lazy writing.

message 6: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Exactly! I loved this movie, I really did, but it had some of the weakest plot ever.

First, they (view spoiler) Uh, yeah. It does count.

And then there was the whole dumb (view spoiler)

And don't get me started on the X-Force members (view spoiler)

Sorry for the long rant, but just because your movie is funny, does not give you the right to crap all over your plot. This is exactly how I felt about the 2nd Guardians. They rode the comedy wave high after the first one and it was all downhill from there. The comedic beats were all beautiful and hilarious, but there were so many plot holes (or idiocies), it brought the whole tone of the movie down with it.

message 7: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 136 comments I went to see it and and it didn't entertain that much, dialog was pretty good, and Josh Brolin was the movie for me.

I kept thinking if Marvel should ever brings DEATHLOK The Demolisher to the big screen Brolin would be my choice to play the part.

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments It was funny but maybe not as hilarious-I-almost-choked-on-my-popcorn as the first movie. I did like the mid credit scene.

Also, watching this with a bunch of Gen Z teenagers in the theater made me feel super old. I think I was the only one who understood the John Hughes reference in one of the scenes.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike Michel wrote: "I have seen it and it his hilarious. As for Deadpool's girlfriend, just stay until the hidden scenes at the end of the credits have played. Those scenes are very important for the plot, as well as ..."

Maybe I’m just old school, but one doesn’t bury important story points in a movie’s stinger. That’s like getting to the end of a book and after the acknowledgements, author bio, and typeface note you finish the story.

Fridging the love interest is lazy.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Trike wrote: "Maybe I’m just old school, but one doesn’t bury important story points in a movie’s stinger. That’s like getting to the end of a book and after the acknowledgements, author bio, and typeface note you finish the story.. "

I agree. Some people apparently haven't learned to stay for the credit-scenes yet, and missed the whole thing.

message 11: by Don (new)

Don Dunham I'm convinced it's worth seeing on the big screen Now.

message 12: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda They shouldn't have (view spoiler). But everyone who goes to any Marvel movie these days should know to stay after the credits. That's Marvel 101.

message 13: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 136 comments Don wrote: "I'm convinced it's worth seeing on the big screen Now."

I see all the Marvel/DC/Star Wars, and other's at the big screen and If at all possible the IMAX2D.

message 14: by Trike (new)

Trike Jolinda wrote: "They shouldn't have [spoilers removed]. But everyone who goes to any Marvel movie these days should know to stay after the credits. That's Marvel 101."

Deadpool isn’t a Marvel movie, though.

It’s a Marvel *character* but a Fox movie. Only Marvel/Disney movies universally have stingers.

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments Trike wrote: "Jolinda wrote: "They shouldn't have [spoilers removed]. But everyone who goes to any Marvel movie these days should know to stay after the credits. That's Marvel 101."

Deadpool isn’t a Marvel movi..."

The first Deadpool movie had a stinger (a great callback to a classic). My rule is always to look it up before leaving, but I default to watching credits for all comic book and all comedies.

message 16: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Trike wrote: "Deadpool isn’t a Marvel movie, though.

It’s a Marvel *character* but a Fox movie. Only Marvel/Disney movies universally have stingers."

X-Men Apocalypse, Deadpool, X-Men Days of Future Past, The Wolverine, Wolverine: Origins, X-Men Last Stand...

In fact, the only ones to not have a post-credit scene in recent years was First Class and Logan. I say in recent years because they did not do that in "ye olden days," aka when they first came out in the early 2000s. MCU started the tradition with Iron Man and Fox followed quickly behind, probably due to FOMO.

So yes, Marvel movie 101 (I did not say MCU--Deadpool is still a Marvel movie whether it is done by MCU or not) is that there will nearly always be a post credits scene. This is not new.

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike Jolinda wrote: "Trike wrote: "Deadpool isn’t a Marvel movie, though.

It’s a Marvel *character* but a Fox movie. Only Marvel/Disney movies universally have stingers."

In fact, the only ones to not have a post-credit scene in recent years was First Class and Logan. ."

The Fantastic Four and the two Amazing Spider-man movies didn’t, either. Or the Ghost Riders, come to think of it. I don’t recall if there was a stinger in The Wolverine, but then I saw 3 different versions.

message 18: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments I went yesterday and it was absolutely hilarious. I liked it just as much, if not more than the first one. I honestly don't care about plot holes or dumb things in the story. It's Deadpool. The plot is just a vehicle for the humor, action, and ridiculousness. I know some people think it's a cop out to (view spoiler) In my opinion, they are playing to Deadpool's strengths by doing over the top tropes like (view spoiler).

That being said, I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to movies, so I understand some things that didn't bother me might have been annoying to others. I was just happy to have another Deadpool, and I will probably be seeing it again.

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments My sons didn't get to watch either Deadpool film due to the rating, but Once Upon a Deadpool fixed that. I took them to see the film. Both loved it. I also had fun with all the Princess Bride references. Overall, I like the pure R-rated version, but I feel everyone should give the Fred Savage version at least one viewing.