What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle grade fiction about a few (possibly three) kids and a man who helps them travel to places (or some other kind of magic that I can't remember) using their imagination. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments I remember that the book started with a description of a rainy day, a person with a transparent umbrella, and something about how people should look up at the rain, not down at the ground when its raining. The kids are taught to practice using their imagination by at first identifying colours (the youngest girl excels most at this), and then given ordinary-looking headgear called "thinking caps" (there was an alternative, more complex name that I can't remember) to help them use their imagination better. At the end of the book it turned out the hats were only placebo. I read this book in around 2010.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Sabiha, is this a picture book (about 32-48 pages) or a chapter book with mostly words? Can you describe the cover image?

Is a location mentioned - country, region, big city/small town?

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 12 comments I'm pretty sure that this is The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles! I remember the umbrella scene.

message 4: by Kris (last edited May 23, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Seconding Emily's suggestion of The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards.

Here are some quotes: "The tale is about using one's imagination..." | "...small man. He was holding a rolled umbrella made of clear plastic." | "What's the hardest color of all to do?" Lindy inquired. "Oh... I would say Flange." Tom chuckled. "It's nothing to laugh about, young man. It's every color of the rainbow..."

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments If it's not The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles *which was the first one I though of too), there's a similar book, The Talking Parcel, by Gerald Durrel that has a similar thing with thinking caps.

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Emily wrote: "I'm pretty sure that this is The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles! I remember the umbrella scene."

OMG that's it! Thank you sooo much!

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Kelly wrote: "If it's not The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles *which was the first one I though of too), there's a similar book, The Talking Parcel, by Gerald Durrel that has a similar thing with thinking ..."

Thank you but turns out it is The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles ^_^