2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
ARCHIVE 2018 > A Study in Scarlet: Part 2 - Chapter 5-7

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments This is the discussion thread for A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle Part 2 - Chapter 5-7

MacKenzie Russell (xomackenzielynn) | 29 comments Part 2 was the saving grace of this story for me.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I thought part 2 was jarring; we are taken away to a completely different story with no explanation although later it all ties together in the final chapters. It was sort of an odd way to present that part of the plot. And I'm not sure the portrayal of the Mormons was very realistic. It certainly wasn't flattering. Made a good story though.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Ingalls | 2113 comments Part 2 had an interesting story, but it was almost as if the two stories didn't really belong together.

Simon (simontaneously) | 173 comments I liked how it suddenly jumped back in time to explain to motives of the murderer. It was different to any crime thriller or mystery that I've ever read.

Comparing it to how the BBC TV adaptation told the story, I don't prefer either one. They are just both different although in the book, the murderer arguably has a "better", more personal motive. Has anyone else seen the recent show? If so, what do you think?

I definitely prefer Watson in the adaptations, though. In this first story, he is very much just a storyteller. More a fly on the wall than anything. He reminds me of Nick Carraway from The Great Gatsby in that sense.

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Randy wrote: "I thought part 2 was jarring; we are taken away to a completely different story with no explanation although later it all ties together in the final chapters. It was sort of an odd way to present t..."

There were a number of points regarding the Mormons that my annotated edition of the story pointed out were inaccurate or downright wrong.

Although I enjoyed this story a lot, it is probably my least favorite of the Holmes canon. As you commented, Part 2 was very jarring, and I really didn't appreciate the change in venue. I was glad that John and Lucy Ferrier's deaths were avenged, though.

Katie | 43 comments Once everything came full circle and was tied back together, I did appreciate the way this was written.
I enjoy the book ending much more that the most recent TV adaptation. I felt that the killer had an actually motive for the murder (view spoiler)
You almost have to admire Hope, in a weird sort of way. He loved Lucy so much he spent years and years trying to avenge her death
Good book 4/5 stars. I don't think I'll be reading many more however. My husband is reading them all at the moment so I might read one or two more, but definitely not all.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Katie wrote: "...I might read one or two more..."

Feel free to jump in our buddy read of the series starting next month with The Sign of Four. You don't have to read them all of course but you can read along with as many as you like. :-)

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I was happy to at least figure out how this story line fit in with the first part of the book. However, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew that they fit together and wasn't reading something random. This isn't my favorite Holmes book, but it was still interesting and okay to read.