2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > A Study in Scarlet: Part 1 - Chapter 5-7

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments This is the discussion thread for A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle Part 1 - Chapter 5-7

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Ingalls | 2107 comments In chapter 5 when Sherlock was following the old woman who answered the ad, I liked that he was able to laugh at himself. A lot of the modern depictions show a Sherlock that is much more uptight and sensitive to criticism and who would never laugh at himself or admit to being bested. It makes perfect sense that the woman who got into the cab and disappeared was the cab driver since the cab hadn't slowed or made a stop and someone jumping out would have been noticed. In chapter 7 though, I cringed when they brought in a sick dog and then proceeded to poison him. I kept thinking isn't anyone bothered that there is still a dead dog in the middle of the room? Nope, they just all went back to their discussion, Wiggins came up, etc. and the poor dog was still laying there.

message 3: by MacKenzie (new)

MacKenzie Russell (xomackenzielynn) | 29 comments After I finished this section of the book last night, I started to remember why I haven't ever enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes in the past. I still plan on finishing the book since it isn't very long, but I don't plan on reading any more of it after (at this time).

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I finished this section. The arrest surprised me, and I find that I still am only 60% of the way through the book so I assume there will be a reversal of fortune or some other surprise coming.

message 5: by Simon (new)

Simon (simontaneously) | 173 comments In the beginning, I was comparing the book to the most recent TV adaptation a lot but in this section I see that the show ran off with its own ideas and took a bit of a different route, so it was nice to be left wondering how exactly things turned out in the book.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I am finding this interesting with some of the ways Holmes figures things out. Today, with technology, investigators run tests and there is so much at their disposal. The way that Holmes makes up his own tests and using reasoning, almost seems ahead of the time his book was written in.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments I find it kind of funny how easily Watson falls into trying to solve the crime as well. Sherlock almost seems to want to do it because he likes how smart he is and likes to prove it with solving hard issues. Watson seems to get involved because he cares and wants justice.

Holmes is a little sassy pants!

I'm also really curious to know how Sherlock pieced everything together.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Amy wrote: "In chapter 5 when Sherlock was following the old woman who answered the ad, I liked that he was able to laugh at himself. A lot of the modern depictions show a Sherlock that is much more uptight an..."

I agree! He's always perceived as being uptight and cocky, but to see his more human side was refreshing.

The dog thing was a bit rough as well. He seemed in distress and in pain, but to handle it in such a blase way was sad. Poor puppy!

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Randy wrote: "I finished this section. The arrest surprised me, and I find that I still am only 60% of the way through the book so I assume there will be a reversal of fortune or some other surprise coming."

I'm having the same thought process. It seems fairly early in the story for things to be so wrapped up.

message 10: by Suki (last edited Jun 20, 2018 12:27AM) (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments We are only about halfway through the book, and

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 43 comments I"m also curious as to how the rest of the book is going to proceed since it seems that everything is all said and done. Maybe Sherlock will be using the res of the book to explain how he solved it, or a walk-through of the clues.
I'm still disappointed with the lack of development in Watson's character. he still seems to just be along for the ride at this point- which is disappointing. Since the book is written from his perspective, you would think he would be a bit further developed by this point.

(view spoiler)

I was also intrigued by Holmes' first age toxicology test. Nowadays, things are sent to a lab for extensive testing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Study in Scarlet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Arthur Conan Doyle (other topics)