2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
ARCHIVE 2018 > A Study in Scarlet: Part 1 - Chapter 1-4

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4724 comments This is the discussion thread for A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle Part 1 - Chapter 1-4

message 2: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 2 stars

SarahKat | 3395 comments This section is sort of a staple in all things Sherlock Holmes. I knew it already without knowing exactly how or where I know it from. The many movies or shows probably.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I'm starting today.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Ingalls | 2097 comments Just finished chapter 4! Even though I know the story, I want to keep reading to see what is going to be uncovered next.

message 5: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1411 comments This is the first thing I've ever read. I haven't watched any movies or shows either, so my extent of knowledge is whatever I've learned through other shows/movies/books.

message 6: by Mie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mie | 2015 comments Funny how my book-Sherlock looks a lot like Jeremy Brett, hmmm... He really fits the description! Will he turn into Benedict Cumberbatch as the story unfolds? :-D

MacKenzie Russell (xomackenzielynn) | 29 comments I just finished chapter 4 and I might keep reading it tonight. I remembered not caring much about Sherlock Holmes, but this seems much faster paced than what I've read before. I made a list of words to look up after I finished reading, just to make sure that I got them right in context. I always love learning new words.

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments Just finished the first four chapters this morning. Being from Cleveland it was fun to see the Cleveland connection in chapter 3. It’s a fast paced read so far and I’m enjoying it, I just hope Watson’s character gains some complexity soon. It seems like he’s just along for the ride so far.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I finished this section yesterday. It is a quick read so far, and it was fun to be introduced to the classic characters of Holmes and Watson and see how they met. I always assumed the characters were older, like in their 40s, but in the book they are both young men in their 20s.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie | 1 comments I'm so glad I joined this group read! I just finished ch. 2 and forgot how much I enjoy Author Arthur Doyle.

message 11: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments This is my first time reading any Sherlock Holmes and am pleasantly surprised at how quick of a read it is! I was also fairly surprised at how close the first episode of Sherlock followed the start of this book (just more modern).

message 12: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments MacKenzie wrote: "I just finished chapter 4 and I might keep reading it tonight. I remembered not caring much about Sherlock Holmes, but this seems much faster paced than what I've read before. I made a list of word..."

That's such a cool idea! What are some of the new words you've learned?

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 375 comments Brittany wrote: "Just finished the first four chapters this morning. Being from Cleveland it was fun to see the Cleveland connection in chapter 3. It’s a fast paced read so far and I’m enjoying it, I just hope Wats..."

I agree! He's definitely facilitating the story, but not really adding to it yet. I hope he steps out a little more!

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments I finished chapter 4 last night. It is interesting to read about how these two character came to meet as they seemed so different.

(view spoiler)

Katie | 43 comments I just finished Chapter 4 this morning. I'm also surprised how closely the first episode of the TV series followed the first book. I just recently started watching the TV series (my husband is a fan and when he heard I was going to be reading the first book he was excited to show me the series)

(view spoiler)

I'll probably be finishing the next section tomorrow or the day after. Its a very quick read which I enjoy.

Eileen  | 190 comments I really liked the first chapters :) I liked how Holmes is described, in my mind he was just grumpy and sarcastic but he's much more developped in the book! I also liked the meeting between Watson and Holmes and their relationship blossoming

Katie | 43 comments Eileen wrote: "I really liked the first chapters :) I liked how Holmes is described, in my mind he was just grumpy and sarcastic but he's much more developped in the book! I also liked the meeting between Watson ..."

I agree with you! I also always assumed Holme's character to be very grumpy - almost like he's annoyed that no one else is as intelligent as he is! But he's actually very funny! Kind of that socially awkward type! Looking foreword to follow his and Watson's development

message 18: by Suki (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 78 comments Sherlock Holmes is always a good read. I think that Watson seems kind of flat right now because Doyle is just starting to write about Holmes and is concentrating on developing him as a character, and at this point Watson is not much more than a narrator. He will have to prove himself "worthy" in Holmes' eyes before he is given a bigger rôle.

At this point, Watson is awe-struck and dazzled by Holmes. Does this make him a bit of an unreliable narrator?

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1208 comments Suki wrote: "Sherlock Holmes is always a good read. I think that Watson seems kind of flat right now because Doyle is just starting to write about Holmes and is concentrating on developing him as a character, a..."

I think Holmes is an unreliable narrator in this book for just that reason. He is bias in favor of Holmes and no matter what Holmes does Watson thinks he is brilliant. He is only seeing the good in Holmes and not what he could do differently.

On the other hand, Holmes does not share anything about solving anything until after the fact. That makes is hard for Watson to criticize because Holmes already figured it out so why not give him credit. It is not like Watson can offer an opinion or a better way to do something at this point.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Study in Scarlet (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Arthur Conan Doyle (other topics)