Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Win! A Copy of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 372 (372 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Hi Everyone ,
We are very pleased to offer you the chance to win one of 40 copies of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas!

For you chance to win, please reply to the following question:

The Hate U Give is framed by a theme of police violence against African-Americans and has been translated into over 25 languages, so far. Why do you feel this book is important to read now?

We will choose the winners using an online randomiser - GOOD LUCK!

The OSS Mods
*Update - This competition will close on Monday June 4th.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Delaney (jessicaelizabethdelaney) | 3 comments The perspective of this book provides incites any reader can relate to and learn from. It's especially important today, where we don't always understand how others experience the same world we live in.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 4 comments This book is important in today’s political context because police violence against African-Americans is destroying more and more innocent lives every day. If we’re ever going to solve this problem, we need to arm ourselves with awareness and education. Unfortunately, even nonviolent protests like Colin Kaepernick’s “take a knee” are being shut down and ignored. We cannot let the voices opposing this injustice be silenced, nor can we let its victims be forgotten and unavenged.

message 4: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 3 comments I think it's important now because it's up to date on what is going on now and it gets young readers interested in what is happening around us. This book may get them involved and wanting to change what is happening,

message 5: by Anïssa (new)

Anïssa 'The Hate U Give' describes an issue that clearly needs more attention in today's society. Having people read a book about it, is the first step. Nevertheless it is the most important step. It is a powerful way to introduce people to matters in an indirect way. We, human beings, tend to be afraid to act on matters that socially are unacceptable. We prefer to ignore it. Literature is a powerful way to help us get in touch with these issues in a 'friendly way' and start on our reflection process. The fact that this book has been translated into over 25 languages enhances the chance of a large audience, which results into a larger amount of people starting their reflection process.
To answer your question. Any time is good to start to read this book or any other book treating socially unacceptable situations. As long as there is a starting point.

message 6: by Keyana (new)

Keyana (ikeyanajo) | 4 comments This book is simply so relevant to today’s society. With all of the police brutality going on and hatred and racism, it’s important for us as readers to share what we’re reading in the hopes that it will reach the masses. In hopes that just one person’s views or mindset will change. It could change people’s lives.

message 7: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (danijenks) | 3 comments I think this book is extremely relevant and important - especially now, as social media has helped bring this issue to light. So many people think it's a new issue, but it's been a problem forever.

message 8: by F_hD/ (new)

F_hD/ (fahadbaba) | 1 comments since everyone is against racism ,this read will be beneficial to both the victims Nd the oppressors by providing insights about the relationship between them only to strengthen it.

message 9: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia (natozorrilla) | 10 comments It's important to acknowledge that, even in our time, hate exists towards minorities. And that this hate is so toxic and so contagious that is spreading all over the world. I think that identifying the disease is a big step in order to treat it, stop it. Apathy won´t solve anything.

message 10: by Sudi (new)

Sudi (sudid) | 9 comments This books talks about the most horrible race related crime that is happening in the country right now, that fact that people are still making such drastic assumptions based on race which have proven fatal to black people. The recent case being the shooting of stephen clark, who was shot at 20 times just because he was holding a phone. Gun violence has reached a point where it should not be tolerated anymore. The police should have to repent for killing an innocent person and the rules clearly need to changed. Because if this goes on america will revert to history and prove there have been no change in the way black people are viewed in society 

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 13 comments This book could be so helpful today because it could change people opinions. In a time where a lot of people is struggling books like this one are so needed and could help the entire world! Unfortunately not all the world is aware of the African- Americans struggle, or maybe not all world care, but it’s so important to understand and care because we cannot live in a peaceful and loving environment without be aware of the others!
We all matter! We’re all important! We are all needed!!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (s_webster) | 15 comments I have a simply answer for this- have you seen what's been going on lately? Multiple new horror stories every day! This is real life, it is happening now, and it needs to stop.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 1 comments Racism is still prevalent otherwise we would not have all these murders at the hands of law enforcement. We would not have people arrested and incarcerated for infractions from which others walk away. We would not have people asked to leave public spaces for being themselves in their skin. If our political leaders won’t make it safer for everyone, then we look to our authors, artists, musicians, to hold a lens up and galvanize the population who has had the luxury of being untouched by racism.

message 14: by KaYe (new)

KaYe (kayelu) | 3 comments This book is important to read now because the fight against discrimination and hate towards minorities still fails to deliver. With every act of discrimination and hate, we erode social cohesion and create inequalities that blight generations fueling the alienation that may ultimately have devastating consequences. We need more people to provide legal protection against discrimination coupled with effective sanctions, a stronger outreach to encourage victims to come report incidents. We need more people grasping these horror stories: that it is happening around us. This is real. It is happening now. We need more people to take a stand against discrimination and that this should not be a "value" passed on to the next generation. Otherwise, when will this ever end? More than ever, we need hate to stop hurting more generations to come.

message 15: by Agus (new)

Agus (agusmemoirs) | 10 comments The news bombard us with horrendous situations involving racist violence, sexist, antisemitic, homophobic, xenophobic, and so the list could go on. This book is yet another weapon to fight that violence. It gives us strength to speak up against the kind of world we don't want to live in; and helps us build the one we would be proud of. A world where violence was just another element of fiction and nothing more. Books can be subversive. And The Hate U Give is important because it does not keep quiet, because it makes us see the things we sometimes don't want to see.

message 16: by Kali (new)

Kali Cawthon-Freels | 1 comments This book is important to read now because we live in a world that values story over statistics (as frustrating as that may be). Especially in the racially-divided and politically-divided United States, people are typically not swayed by evidence, no matter how well-researched it is. They care more about narrative and about the people in the narrative. Angie Thomas does such a fantastic job in creating Star as a real, multi-faceted person that the readers come to care for. In doing so, the reader can't help but begin to champion justice for her friends. Through the eyes of this character that the audience comes to love, the readers are exposed to the harsh realities of being a POC in America. It becomes harder for the reader to justify 115's actions (and other white people's actions throughout the book) as they experience them through Star's experience.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments I am a criminal prosecutor, in a position that requires me to work closely with police officers everyday. I grew up in a relatively sheltered/privileged/white military community. So this book would offer me an entirely different perspective on law enforcement than the one I experienced growing up. I would like to read this book so that I can become better informed, do a better job at work, and share this new found knowledge with other prosecutors that I work with.

message 18: by Blanka (new)

Blanka | 11 comments I'm a Policing and Investigations student. I'm still learning about everything. But one thing that I know is what kind of officer/investigator I want to be. One that can be trusted by the community, that offers protection to Everyone in equal measure, that is empathetic. When I hear cases of police brutality, hate crime or bias it just saddens me. We need to make a change in the system. This new generation needs to step up and be better

message 19: by Rafa (last edited May 23, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Rafa | 24 comments When I read the question, I thought, "These kind of situations are getting better, aren't they?" But then it hit me. "Yeah, the minority groups are still being tortured and driven out of their motherland. Maybe they are the new African-Americans ??"

We always think that we are being more and more civilized. But sometimes, we are too close to see what's going on. That's when this book comes in as a reminder that we are not getting any better than the past but we need to.

message 20: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 4 comments The police are such an important instrument in a working society. Seeing them being biased and straight up racist is really disturbing, but it is important to notice these things happening to address the underlying problems and hopefully solve them!! :-)

message 21: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (isabelvr) | 4 comments Though many people believe police to be cautious and protective of themselves and others, news reports state that innocent bystanders can become victims of unnecessary police shooting. The worst part is, is that a big percentage of these victims are non-white. Racism and the prejudice against people of color is still so present that their innocence is overlooked, and they immediately get labeled as dangerous.
People believe racism is diminishing. I say that there is still one hell of a fight to be won.

message 22: by Anna Louise (new)

Anna Louise Kallas | 13 comments This book is so important to stress the current situation that is a spiral of how our African American communities in cities live today. It brings to light the racism and prejudice along with the economic status of these communities.

message 23: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinecharpenel) | 2 comments Feminism has mostly been directed toward white occidental women (and I say this as being a white occidental woman). I think this book is important because it shows us the reality of women of colors, and the added prejudices they live because they're branded as different. It shows the everyday racism, conscient or not, and the choices they have to face that they shouldn't have to face. I think it is important that feminism becomes more and more inclusive, and that we open ourselves to all the problems women are facing everywhere.

message 24: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn Scott (hpprincess) | 2 comments It is important to read a book like The Hate U Give now because our world is plagued by violence and brutality based on years of racism and prejudices. As feminists, it is imperative that we read a book like this because it shows not only a very brave, powerful teen girl coming to terms with what she can do for her community and the repercussions she faces as a WOC while sticking up for what she believes in.

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Waloven | 3 comments As a nation and as a people, we can no longer tolerate double standards just because someone is black, speaks a language other than English as their first language, is under privileged, has a body covered in tattoos, of a different political stance, etc. Innocent until proven guilty must prevail. Our world has gone absolutely crazy with name calling and murdered of innocent lives. This book seems perfect for learning HOW.

message 26: by Denise (new)

Denise (teasandreads) | 1 comments It is so timely and relevant especially now with all the gun violence, and heightened social awareness of what minorities go through. Guns are powerful things and when in the hands of someone who is scared, fearful, and emotionally unprepared for intense situations, they can be deadly. This book talks about the issue from an often forgotten perspective and can shed light on how this issue affects everyone in the community.

message 27: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran  (ridaimran) | 22 comments The Hate U Give is an important book to read because of the sensitive topic it deals with; what it means to be a coloured person in this society. It is so relevant it shows the bitter reality of how things like our skin colour are the decision makers in so many police situations. Some people still believe that racism is a thing of the past. Some people don't realise that out of all the white privileges there is also life. And some people don't like to believe that they're racists they leave offensive comments while living in a bubble.
While dealing with such an important topic this book does not seem heavy handed. So of course there are other books out there but this is just easier to read and the fact that it's been translated to so many languages just shows it's reach.
It is just so relatable. While in so many YA the family is mysteriously absent, here it plays a vital role. And Starr being such a strongly defined amazing colured black female protagonist is an inspiration to all of us.

Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs (ireadlikephoeberuns) | 2 comments Because too many people think racism is a thing of the past, and something that doesn't really affect that many people anymore. There's so much to learn, so many beliefs to be torn down and rebuild.

message 29: by Adi (last edited May 23, 2018 12:54AM) (new)

Adi (booksstorm) | 2 comments Jo wrote: "Hi Everyone ,
We are very pleased to offer you the chance to win one of 40 copies of The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas!

For you chance to win, please reply to the following question:

The Hate U Giv..."

Besides the fact that this is a debut author and its important to support new authors, this book is becoming a modern day classic that helps none african american people understand what it is like to grow up as one, what are the struggles, and most importantly help both young and old afro americans feel recognized, understood and feel that they are not alone in this mess.
I am not an american so i don't get to hear or feel this racism towards afro americans as often as it happens, but it is important to just recognise it. Humans need to learn about the bad things that are going in the world, so we can make it better, and won't let it become worse. Besides, my dad's family immigrated from north africa, and even tho they are not "fully" black, they do still suffer from racism.
I remember Angie discussing about that THUG was banned from a Texas library, and how frustrated it made me feel. This book is important, and self centered world view of some people, is preventing this life changing book from being out there in the world. So so shameful, and very hurting, as a fellow POC.
I have been following Angie's social account ever since THUG was annoucned, and i am so delighted and happy to see the process and how much she has grown since then. She's such a full of love and passion, unique and wonderful person. Even tho i don't own this book yet and didn't even read it, i support it with passion. A popular YA book that deals with black lives matter movment is a sign of progress for human race, and for the way black people are being treated and viewed in general.
I feel like so many racist groups are rising these days, even after slavery and the horrors black people went through in america stopped. They are still fearful for their lives, which i as a jewish girl can relate to deeply.
I believe that presentation is important. Every young girl should open a book to read about a main character she can relate to. i can tell, from reading and reading none stop ever since i was a child that this had built me and shaped who i am. reading about a strong female character made me feel stronger than no one in my life ever did. I am thankful for the books i can relate too, and i am sure that many young afro american girls are so thankful for this representation in THUG.

message 30: by Anshita (new)

Anshita (_book_freak) | 14 comments Through the use of contemporary literature like The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and several other writers and also through the utilization of social media, there is a lot of exposure on the police's violence and abuse towards African Americans. When a common practice like this is highlighted, among many people the knee-jerk response is based on their deeply seated stereotypical views of the African American communities that are not only racist but totally wrong.
Thomas's book differentiates between simple racism and a much deeper compound racism which assigns blames to the African American communities to justify the ongoing police killings and structures racism.

message 31: by Celia (new)

Celia M. Duro (celia_mduro) I think that it is very important to educate and illustrate young population and readers on important topics such as racism and violence. Although it has been translated to more than 25 languages, it should be translated to many more in order to spread awareness.

message 32: by Anna (new)

Anna (goodreadscomannabambus) | 5 comments It’s important because violence of police officers against African-Americans still exists and racism is a big problem in today’s society. The media often reports of discrimination against African-Americans especially by the police and even shootings and deaths. That’s why I think it’s necessary to educate people on the topic and the book does that by dealing with this issue.

message 33: by sonja (new)

sonja | 5 comments In a world without peace we should be able to trust to polices and other authorities but unfortunately it's not possible, at least for me, because of violence against guiltless people. Maybe this book could spread the knowledge about it.

message 34: by Sudi (new)

Sudi (sudid) | 9 comments This books talks about the most horrible race related crime that is happening in the country right now, that fact that people are still making such drastic assumptions based on race which have proven fatal to black people. The recent case being the shooting of stephen clark, who was shot at 20 times just because he was holding a phone. Gun violence has reached a point where it should not be tolerated anymore. The police should have to repent for killing an innocent person and the rules clearly need to changed. Because if this goes on america will revert to history and prove there have been no change in the way black people are viewed in society 

message 35: by Lii (new)

Lii | 12 comments We've all grown up with the belief that police are good, they are the authority who we should listen to and abide and they are here to save us. Well at least I did, but reading about how this is not the case for a group of people makes people open their eyes. For those who still keep believing in the authority of the police might think this violence against African-Americans is rightful if the authority is doing it, when we should question where the authority really comes from and who gives it to them. Why would such authority be violent?

message 36: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 31 comments Honestly, if there is one book I think everyone needs to read, it's this book. As a white, upper-middle class woman, I could identify with Star's school friends. As a liberal feminist I assumed I would be "better" (more enlightened) than said friends. But I would read something that came across as privileged and then I would realize I might have said something similar without knowing I did so. This book is so powerful because it doesn't just describe racial tensions, or current events, or racial privilege or class privilege - it makes the reader recognize these privileges and tensions within themself. And that is how change happens.

message 37: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamesters46) | 3 comments This book is important because it discusses many current events that occur in society today. The novel shows readers a first hand perspective of being a person of color in America. This book also gives you a different perspective on police brutality. After reading this book, I don't think I can see police brutality cases the same way.

message 38: by Ash (new)

Ash (goodreadscomashna_gulati2609) | 205 comments Social Evils are something we must all know about,because they are like the hidden figures hanging at the back of our heads.And I think that that said,there is a greater need to know these figures than to ignore them.Because racism, to a great deal sprouts from ignorance and there is no better time than today to address the elephant in the room and kick it out for good.
Especially,when you can do it only by sitting and skimming through this lovely interesting book!

message 39: by Arlitadian (new)

Arlitadian Pratama | 2 comments Because it'all about racism. Which racism is still quite relevant nowadays.

message 40: by Clint (new)

Clint Read-Brittian (readsreaders) This Book is important, so that people can see what is truly happening when it comes to racism. A lot of people don't understand things like Bullying, racism, Homophobia, etc, unless it is happening to them. Books that highlight a very touchy subject will always be needed. I've been wanting to read this book for that very reason.

message 41: by Joana (new)

Joana Canada | 4 comments Police violence against African-American is a topic that is being talked about a lot nowadays. Some people discuss this topic based on personal experience or on the experience of a friend for example. However, for many people the only sourse of information is the media and the news, so to be able to get information from other sourses, as the insigts in this book, is a good form to explore other ways of education on the topic.

message 42: by Diana (new)

Diana G. | 3 comments Hello,
this book's theme is important because it denounce what currently is happening with the colored community in the USA.

message 43: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 31 comments I don't think the message of this book is so overt as to just be about racism. I think it's about institutionalized racism, and institutionalized classism (is that the right word?); but also about being yourself or acting differently around others; shame and pride in your heritage and past; about how when you're angry, violence and destruction can feel good in the moment but that won't change things as much as using your voice will. It's about #BlackLivesMatter, and so much more. But mostly, I think this book is about how someone died, but more importantly first he was alive. He lived and he was human - he was complicated, and he did bad things and good things, and none of that justified taking his life. Reducing his life down to a simple description - "he was a thug," "he was a drug dealer," "he was black" - these things all miss the point. He might have been those things, but he was also so much more. And when these stories get reported, we often lose sight of that. We want there to be a good guy and a bad guy, but life is rarely that simple. If we don't start seeing the complexity in these things (a drug dealer still shouldn't be shot during a traffic stop), then nothing will change.

message 44: by Flevia (new)

Flevia Kat | 2 comments White and privileged people need to have awareness of things that happen to other people just because of how they look. Being Afro-descendant, Arab-descendant or any other descendant should not be a reason for police to react with violence and aggressiveness.
As myself had many time assumed some people of being drug dealers or robbers, I think this book is important to stimulate self-reflexion!

message 45: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine | 1 comments I think not only is it important but also relevant to shed light on this issue. Sometimes people don’t realize how much this issue prevails in our society til it happens in their own backyard. By reading this book, I hope to learn how to be more aware of these situations and how to extend help and be a part of that change for good while understanding what it takes for us to make that change so I can be that first step

message 46: by Key (new)

Key | 15 comments As white people a lot of what's going on in the world goes straight over our heads, because it does not affects us. Is books like this one that helps to bring to light things that the media and our politicians won't say, and people of color suffer from it everyday. We as white people need to start questioning everything everyone tell us is "obvious" like when they tell us cops are always the good guys and they're always going to protect us and that they always do the right thing. we need to continue to have this conversations with other white people and educate them in order to stop this things from happening. Institutional racism is everywhere and we as white people can't let it go over our heads anymore. This book is a must for keeping the conversation going. because it happens everywhere, not just in the USA

message 47: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Ennis (kristiehennis) | 2 comments This book presents multiple perspectives on a very touchy issue that needs to be discussed more openly in the U.S. This begins the conversation with young people, which is where it needs to start.

message 48: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 3 comments It's important because more and more black people seem to be losing their lives at the hands of the police, the people who are supposed to protect them. More people need to be aware of the systemic racism permeating the American justice system.

message 49: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Sanderson (bridget_sanderson) | 15 comments This book is important to give the disenfranchised a voice. With the news of the NFL fining teams if players kneel to protest police violence towards people of color, clearly people still don’t understand. This is clearly a very systemic issue, that goes together with the justice system, that needs to be fixed. People are losing their lives, and it is absurd to continue to ignore it, we should be better than that. This is a very U.S. specific answer.

message 50: by Angel (new)

Angel MA (artificiallyawake) | 1 comments The Hate U Give is beyond important right now, because of the deliberate intentions of racist police officers to eradicate African American people from their idea of what America should look like. Since the year is 2018 and America is still struggling with people in positions of power who abuse that power to play out their racist agendas, novels such as The Hate U Give serve as tools to explore the larger portrait of what hate can do to fellow Americans that at being picked off on a daily basis, told they don't belong, and lose their lives over the color of their skin. As Angie Thomas states, "sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right." The right thing to do is to connect with each other over words well written so we may know each other and never stop fighting for each other's rights.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.