Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #2)
This topic is about The Invasion of the Tearling
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Johansen, Erika--The Invasion of the Tearling informal buddy read starts May 21, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.

Synopsis
Kelsea Glynn is the Queen of the Tearling. Despite her youth, she has quickly asserted herself as a fair, just and powerful ruler.

However, power is a double-edged sword, and small actions can have grave consequences. In trying to do what is right - stopping a vile trade in humankind - Kelsea has crossed the Red Queen, a ruthless monarch whose rule is bound with dark magic and the spilling of blood. The Red Queen's armies are poised to invade the Tearling, and it seems nothing can stop them.

Yet there was a time before the Crossing, and there Kelsea finds a strange and possibly dangerous ally, someone who might hold the key to the fate of the Tearling, and indeed to Kelsea's own soul. But time is running out...

Erika Johansen's fierce and unforgettable young heroine returns in this dazzling new novel of magic and adventure, set in the beguiling world of the Tearling

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Checking in from team Newt Scamander. Looking forward to reading this. See you all soon.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Check in in also. It'll be a bit before I start, but I'm looking forward to reading this.

Annalisa | 1373 comments Checking in from Team Severus Snape. I'm looking forward to reading the book. It's been about a year and a half since I finished the first novel so the first few chapters will likely be getting reacquainted with the story and characters.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Annalisa wrote: "Checking in from Team Severus Snape. I'm looking forward to reading the book. It's been about a year and a half since I finished the first novel so the first few chapters will likely be getting rea..."

I'm happy I 've recently read the first one!

Geri | 2042 comments I’m swamped. I have a problem saying no to BRs. LOL But I do plan on participating for team Ginny Weasley. Looking forward to it.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Lol, I knew your team would love you for buddy reads! Thought you might particularly enjoy that part of Towers!

Annalisa | 1373 comments I've read a few reviews of the first book and I think I'm remembering enough of the story and characters to start the second this evening.

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments After starting the book, I realized I never finished book 1. So this will be interesting! LOL I read the first 5 chapters of book 2 and have a sort of grasp of what is going on. The story is interesting. Interested in reading what everyone else thinks.

Chapter 1 & 2

(view spoiler)

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Annalisa wrote: "I've read a few reviews of the first book and I think I'm remembering enough of the story and characters to start the second this evening."

I know how that is! Trying to remember what happened in a previous book. Sometimes I like to wait til a series is done before starting it.

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "After starting the book, I realized I never finished book 1. So this will be interesting! LOL I read the first 5 chapters of book 2 and have a sort of grasp of what is going on. The story is intere..."

Teeehehe, I can't believe you didn't finish the first book!
I'll be back to read this one tonight.

I much prefer to read a series all together than waiting for the next one too!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I always THINK I'll remember.... then I don't.

message 15: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "After starting the book, I realized I never finished book 1. So this will be interesting! LOL I read the first 5 chapters of book 2 and have a sort of grasp of what is going on. The st..."

I think the book was returned to the library before I finished. And I forgot to borrow it again. That happens to me too often. :)

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Real life got in the way from my finishing yesterday. But I managed to finish today. How is the reading going for everyone?

Chapter 6-10

(view spoiler)

Chapter 11-15

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments I started it,but this has been a busy week for me and I think it won't be until tomorrow that I really get to read much.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I may be a little slow on this one, but I'll get there - I hope!

I read the first chapter and realized that I'd remembered a lot from book one....and forgotten even more!

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Suzanne wrote: "I always THINK I'll remember.... then I don't."

Ha, yes, that too Suzanne!

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "After starting the book, I realized I never finished book 1. So this will be interesting! LOL I read the first 5 chapters of book 2 and have a sort of grasp of what is go..."

Yes, I return way too many before finishing. I think I am on my 5th attempt trying to read this Parting Shot (Promise Falls, #4) by Linwood Barclay before its due back yet again.

Planning to get back to this one tonight or tomorrow night.

Suzanne | 4268 comments Chapter 2 really surprised me. (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments Chapter 4-5: I am curious just like Geri (view spoiler)

message 23: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Suzanne - Your spoiler is filling in some of the story I am missing. I really like the direction the series is going! (view spoiler)

message 24: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Yes, I return way too many before finishing. I think I am on my 5th attempt trying to read this Parting Shot (Promise Falls, #4) by Linwood Barclay before its due back yet again.

Planning to get back to this one tonight or tomorrow night. “

It’s time to finish the book, Laura! I hope you are enjoying it!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Yes, I return way too many before finishing. I think I am on my 5th attempt trying to read this Parting Shot (Promise Falls, #4) by Linwood Barclay before its due back yet again.

Pl..."

I haven't started Parting Shot yet and I'm in chapter one of The Invasion of the Tearling
. There 's not enough time!!! Shh, I crashed last night and actually went to bed at a reasonable time. 9 1/2 hours sleep and I feel on top of the world today!!

message 26: by Suzanne (last edited May 26, 2018 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne | 4268 comments About that alternate point of view:
Spoilers through chapter 5 with vague spoilers through chapter 7.
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Suzanne wrote: "About that alternate point of view:
[spoilers removed]"

I agree. Not a good book for teens. I don’t want to spoil anything but things get worse later in the book!

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: " I haven't started Parting Shot yet and I'm in chapter one of The Invasion of the Tearling
. There 's not enough time!!! Shh, I crashed last night and actually went to bed at a reasonable time. 9 1/2 hours sleep and I feel on top of the world today!!
"

Great! A good night sleep does help my attitude too. I haven’t been sleeping great lately. But finally slept last night. Hopefully, you are enjoying the book. Very interesting story.

message 29: by Annalisa (last edited May 27, 2018 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa | 1373 comments Book 1 Chapter 1 through 5

So it took me a while to figure out who the characters were and remember the story from the first book.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Annalisa wrote: "Book 1 Chapter 1 through 5

So it took me a while to figure out who the characters were and remember the story from the first book.

I'm surprised by the number of points of view we have in this n..."

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm hoping to get back to this one soon! Other buddy reads and library loans are preventing me from getting here sooner!

message 32: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I'm hoping to get back to this one soon! Other buddy reads and library loans are preventing me from getting here sooner!"

I overbooked myself and decided I had to bow out of a few BRs. :( So I understand. I’ll keep checking back!

Annalisa | 1373 comments Book II - Chapter 6 through 11

Now that I'm back into the story I'm really enjoying it.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Annalisa wrote: "Book II - Chapter 6 through 11

Now that I'm back into the story I'm really enjoying it.
."

It took me awhile to get into the story. But once I did, like you, it really got interesting. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 02, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa | 1373 comments I finally finished the book last night. I didn't see the end coming but at the same time I really liked it. I'd like to read the next book in the next couple of months. That way I won't forget everything. I know most who joined the BR haven't had time to finish yet. If anyone is interested in doing a BR of The Fate of the Tearling in late June or July sometime I'd be interested in joining you.

(view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "About that alternate point of view:
[spoilers removed]"

Suzanne I remember thinking the first book was Young Adult. However, most places do not categorize it as such. My library has it in the adult section. The first one was much less graphic, however, I still think it was an adult book not a young adult. The writing style fits more the adult fantasy than young adult fantasy. Well at least that is my opinion.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'd be interested in a buddy read in late June or July - it would be nice to have a finished series!

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm glad I read this as a buddy read with all of you so my 'Not young adult" opinion feels not as lonely

Annalisa | 1373 comments Something that just occurred to me: End of the book spoiler. (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments End of book spoiler (view spoiler)

Annalisa | 1373 comments Suzanne wrote: "End of book spoiler [spoilers removed]"

End of book spoiler. (view spoiler)

For those who are interested in reading the next book, The Fate of the Tearling, would a start date of June 29th work?

Suzanne | 4268 comments June 29 works for me!

message 43: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Annalisa - I can do a BR for the next book June 29 too.

Annalisa | 1373 comments I'll make a request for a thread when I get home from work.

Annalisa | 1373 comments For anyone who wants to join the Buddy read for the next book here is the Thread for Fate of the Tearling

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm hoping to get back to this one soon! Other buddy reads and library loans are preventing me from getting here sooner!"

I overbooked myself and decided I had to bow out of a few BR..."

Thanks, thanks! I was able to renew it and the third one! ( here's hoping I can knock a few out and catch up on a few that I'm behind in!)

Kate S | 1967 comments Before I could join this BR, I had to read the first book. Which I did. Then I played some Quidditch, and now I am working on this one. I will be focused on this book for the next 26 hours (or so) as my copy from the library is about to expire.

I thought Chapter one did a good job of demonstrating where we are in the time line and the story.

Suzanne wrote: "Chapter 2 really surprised me. [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Starting chapter 3 now.

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised by that, Kate. And welcome to the BR! =)

Kate S | 1967 comments Thanks, Suzanne! Interested to see how this plays.

Kate S | 1967 comments Suzanne wrote: "Chapter 4-5: I am curious just like Geri (view spoiler)..."

I am through chapter 7.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1