What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA SciFi LGBTQ+; MC girl is having strange flashbacks of a place that she describes as almost womb like. Spoilers.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kailina (new)

Kailina | 14 comments I apologize for the choppy rendition but I do remember some key plot details, the only problem is I can’t remember if I’m melding two books together in my mind so if you think parts of it sound familiar but not others please tell me!

[Spoilers Ahead]

So the the books main character is a young adult maybe 18-20 but she was living with a relative (grandma or aunt someone female) her relative was a scientist and went to work regularly.

There is a point in the book where the girl is walking down the sidewalk and meets another girl with brightly colored hair, they hit it off and go hang out later. Eventually the bright haired girl invites her back to her home and asks if the main character is into girls. She says no but eventually they kiss and she decides she wants to be in a relationship with her.

At the same time the girl is having strange flashbacks of a place that she describes as almost womb like. It drives her crazy that she can’t articulate what she’s seeing and she tears apart her bedroom to make her walls reflect what she sees. She paints the walls orange and covers them in cling film.

It’s later revealed that she is an alien or other worldly creature and her relative (the scientist) was in charge of raising her. I also believe the bright haired girl knows this but I can’t be positive.

I was never able to finish the book but I read it about 7 years ago. I don’t think it could have been more than two or three years old at the time so it probably came out circa 2010 or so.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 12 comments That sounds like part of the plot from Adaptation, by Malinda Lo.

message 3: by Kailina (new)

Kailina | 14 comments No that doesn’t appear to be it (although I’ve put it on my reading list because the plot sounds interesting!)

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Kailina, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (daisyporter) | 916 comments Kailina, are you 100% positive it's notAdaptation or its sequel? It's an exact fit - womb walls and the two girls bumping into one another, for example.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 257 comments Are you sure?
Lines from Adaptation:

(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Adaptation (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Malinda Lo (other topics)