Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Kings
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Sanderson, Brandon--The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) informal buddy read starts June 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 17, 2018 11:42PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Synopsis
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings, Book One of the Stormlight Archive begins an incredible new saga of epic proportion.

Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.

It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.

One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.

Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.

Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.

Speak again the ancient oaths:

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.

and return to men the Shards they once bore.

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Looking forward to reading this after hearing so much hype about this series!

message 5: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose | 618 comments I'm tempted by this. I've had the book for years, but I keep putting it off.

message 6: by Cat (new) - added it

Cat (cat_uk) | 7514 comments Mod
You had it in hardcopy, Rose? 'cos that'll put a person off - toting the several inches deep tome about ....

I got it a while ago on Kindle, and then promptly got distracted by another shiny book! This is the kick up the arse I need to get it read - 'cos I've enjoyed other books by him (the first three Mistborn & Elantris)

message 7: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose | 618 comments worse....I have it in paperback. I think i'll have to do kindle or risk cracking the spine ever two pages.

message 8: by Cat (new) - added it

Yeah. I sometimes grudge it when publishers split a book in two for the pb editions (GRRM for instance), but then I think about the pain of a massive pb being inevitably destroyed in the reading, and get it!

message 9: by Teddie (new) - added it

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I’ve been looking forward to reading this too!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Cat wrote: "You had it in hardcopy, Rose? 'cos that'll put a person off - toting the several inches deep tome about ....

I got it a while ago on Kindle, and then promptly got distracted by another shiny book!..."

I have it in hardcover. I'm thought of buying the UK paperbacks to make this easier but thankfully with our start date Ill be home by then. So all good.

My favorite Sanderson so far is The Emperor's Soul and Warbreaker.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I actually bought the audio cd first, tried it and realized I rather read it.

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I have had this book on my eReader for several years now and have yet to attempt it. Seems like this buddy Read is good motivation to give it a try.

Victoria | 1132 comments Ooo, I'm tempted to join, but not sure if I can handle reading Sarum: The Novel of England, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and this in June. There's only so many 900+ page books a person can handle in a month lol

message 14: by Cat (new) - added it

Victoria wrote: "Ooo, I'm tempted to join, but not sure if I can handle reading Sarum: The Novel of England, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and this in June. There's only so many 900+ pa..."

I know what you mean! I've started a biggun for Astronomy, cos I'd forgotten about this one. But that's straight historical fiction, and this... isn't, so hopefully I'll manage. I AM going to hold off on starting my second planned Astronomy biggun for a bit though! Not least because juggling 3 books on one kindle is more that I can cope with!

message 15: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose | 618 comments Diving into this one this weekend. Is everyone binging this, or going for small portions per day?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Rose wrote: "Diving into this one this weekend. Is everyone binging this, or going for small portions per day?"

I'm going to go for small portions a day in between when I'm reading for Quidditch. I'm planning to start it tomorrow. Or tonight if I get a couple other books finished first.

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I’ve just started it but I don’t know if I could binge read it as I’m finding myself having to really concentrate on what’s going on, especially with timeframe jumps, multiple POVs and unfamiliar naming conventions. I’m not an experienced fantasy reader though, so a little out of my comfort zone. I am enjoying it so far though.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Binge reading it is so tempting but I've got other more BRs going on and I'm already late for all of them. Also, I've got the hardcover which makes bringing it anywhere out of the question. I refuse to buy for Kindle because I have 2 copies already haha.

Emma, I am glad you are enjoying it! Who knows, this might convince you to read more fantasy in the future?

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments First thoughts on Kaladin and Shallan:

(view spoiler)

Oh, and I want to see more Windspren! I hope the Windspren with Kaladin becomes his sidekick of sorts. It would ne awesome!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Is anybody here? ;)

I need to share my hate for Elhokar!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Adding my irritation with Sadeas too.

message 22: by Cat (new) - added it

sorry, I'm still barely started. after the first couple of sections, where I had NIL idea of what was happening, I'm settling into a more familiar story space of enslaved hero...

The snippets at the start of each chapter are intriguing me though. Presumably material from the Stormlight Archive??

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments It has grown somewhat quiet here so I thought everyone's finished. What chapter are you in?

This one's multiple POV so am not sure which one you're referring to as enslaved hero... ;)

message 24: by Cat (new) - added it

I’m just starting chapter 3!

Kaladin just tried to help cure a fellow slave, to no avail.

Just meeting Shallan now

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Ah. Do tell when you meet Elhokar. And Sadeas.

What did you think of the windspren?

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I’m only a few chapters in too, just on Shallan’s first POV chapter. I’m interested to see where the windscpren and Kalarin’s storyline is going.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'm halfway done, stealing reading time in between work. It's so hectic this week! Didn't they know I have Way of Kings to finish?!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Elhokar is seriously description

I understand that his character's personality is important to drive the plot but urgh! It's frustrating.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just in chapter one but I need to carve out more time for this because I loved the fighting scenes! The beginning part of the book was weird, so I'm glad we're in a kind of normal story mode now. Szeth's fighting abilities reminds me of the Mistborn powers in Sanderson's other series which is nice.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Talia wrote: "I'm just in chapter one but I need to carve out more time for this because I loved the fighting scenes! The beginning part of the book was weird, so I'm glad we're in a kind of normal story mode no..."

Right? Right? I can't wait for people to start having powers like Szeth. It will make for a great fight!

message 31: by Cat (new) - added it

Hi Talia! *waves* I can't wait for more time to read - Quidditch watching is sucking up so much attention! I've been listening to a different book on audio in the evenings whilst watching the match, so poor Kalladin et al are not getting much attention from me :(

The fighting scenes with the Lashing was excellent - and the reorienting himself reminded me of annoyingly precocious Ender from Ender's Game. Which isn't actually a bad thing!
But yes, straight-forwarder story is good!

I'm actually loving the world building too - this really barren rocky country with odd plant life (the rock buds / polyps) - it feels very unusual to me right now.

message 32: by Cat (new) - added it

I am crawling through this one :(
Not because I don't like it, but because I allowed myself to get distracated by audio-binging: first some Dresden (James Marsters.... swoon) and then the Greatcoat series. I am going to forbid myself more audio until I am 50% through this one!

@through chapter 9 (14%)
Shallan: (view spoiler)

Kaladin: (view spoiler)

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I’m about where you are in the book Cat. I’m enjoying it but it’s not a book that I can spend big swathes of time reading. I am really liking the character of Kaladin, i’m really interested in finding out why he ended up in his current situation, I imagine it must be a pretty good back story once it’s finally revealed.

message 34: by Cat (new) - added it

I'm past the first set of interludes & into part 2! Elhokar et al!

@through chapter 12 (19%)
Interludes: (view spoiler)

New section: (view spoiler)

Honestly, I'm perplexed about where this ride is going, though I think I'm enjoying it...

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Cat, is this your first Sanderson?

message 36: by Cat (new) - added it

Kathleen wrote: "Cat, is this your first Sanderson?"

No, I've read the Mistborn trilogy and Elantris, but don't recall those being quite so hoppy!

I'm not complaining, really, even if it sounds like I am!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Cat wrote: "Hi Talia! *waves* I can't wait for more time to read - Quidditch watching is sucking up so much attention! I've been listening to a different book on audio in the evenings whilst watching the match..."

Hi Cat! I'm happy that after Quidditch I recognize so many names now! :)

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I finally got to the chapters with Elhokar and the Chasmfiend. Holy hell that was a tense chapter and I totally see why everyone is frustrated with the Elhokar character. Totally love Dalinar though. Although I find I have to really concentrate while reading this book, Sanderson’s writing is brilliant, I’m totally immersed in his world when I read.

Emma (M) | 1736 comments I am just under half-way and Shallan hasn’t played a huge part so far so I haven’t really been able to gauge her character. From the little bit I’ve seen of her, she seems very driven by desperation, but I don’t know how much I’m going to like her when I get to her storyline again, given she’s out to steal something.

message 40: by Cat (new) - added it

I'm still making my way through it, though I am guilty of cheating on it with a number of other books too :-/

@33% / through chap 22 (view spoiler)

Emma (M) | 1736 comments Ooh, I didn’t associate (view spoiler)

I think my favourite character has to be Kaladin, I love his bridge team storyline and look forward to his chapters. What’s everyone else’s favourite characters?

message 42: by Cat (new) - added it

I'm into part 3 now, after the interludes.

Szeth.... (view spoiler)

Kaladin (view spoiler)

Shallan (view spoiler)

message 43: by Cat (new) - added it

Emma (M) wrote: I think my favourite character has to be Kaladin, I love his bridge team storyline and look forward to his chapters. What’s everyone else’s favourite cha..."

agree - Kaladin! I love the flashbacks too.

Emma (M) | 1736 comments Yeah, I’ve been wondering why he can’t really remember. I guess I’ll find out eventually.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Cat wrote: "I'm still making my way through it, though I am guilty of cheating on it with a number of other books too :-/

@33% / through chap 22 I'm really enjoying the Kaladin/Syl interchanges - Syl is proba..."

Same here, favorite character is Syl!

message 46: by Cat (new) - added it

Finished! The later sections were much faster & more compelling!

I enjoyed it very much, and will go on to the next one, but maybe not right away!

Emma (M) | 1736 comments Good work Cat! I’m about 71% through and hoping to finish in the next couple of days.

Is this your first Brandon Sanderson? It’s my very first and I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy his writing style. His characters are so compelling, I’m always disappointed when a chapter ends and the story moves on to the next POV - even though I enjoy the next POV jus as much!