Play Book Tag discussion

2016-19 Activities & Challenges > PBT Reading in Memory of Denizen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 201 (201 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited May 16, 2018 05:34AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments PBT recently lost beloved, long-time member Denizen (Denise Prothero).

Many of you expressed an interest in reading in her memory, and the PBT admins think this is a wonderful idea and cannot think of a better way of honoring one of our fellow readers.

Denizen had a short list bookshelf with her top 50 books and it would be a nice tribute to finish those books for her since she did not get to them.

We have started a spreadsheet and encourage everyone who wants to select a book to read to do so and share the review here.

For each book from the list that you read, we will award 5 participation points. And, if we collectively complete the list, then everyone who participated will get an additional 10 points. You can read as many of the books as you like and more than one PBT member can read the same book.

Please post your reviews for these books below (and cross-post to the appropriate monthly threads as well) and I will try and update the spreadsheet on a weekly basis so that everyone knows which books remain unread.

We welcome everyone's participation even if you did not have the opportunity to interact with Denizen. We will certainly miss her engagement with and contributions to PBT.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments What a great tribute! She has some very good books on that list! I have The North Water and The Kept sitting on my bedroom shelf, so as I have them handy those are two I will start with.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments I have The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August on my kindle. I will move that to up next.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments What a wonderful idea.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Nicole R wrote: "PBT recently lost beloved, long-time member Denizen (Denise Prothero).

Many of you expressed an interest in reading in her memory, and the PBT admins think this is a wonderful idea and cannot thi..."

Nicole, should we fill in our name in the spreadsheet if we intend to read the book, or only after we've actually read it?

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments For my first choice, I would like to read Before the Fall, but if someone else wants that one I could also happily do The Association of Small Bombs.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Anita, I will fill in names when the reviews are posted. It is fine if more than one member reads a book so it is not like it is a rush to state your book first.

If members are interested in seeing what other state they are going to read, then I could fill that in as well. I just thought I would wait until the book is actually read.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I would like to read American War on her behalf.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Sounds good!

I was only thinking that if we are collectively trying to meet the goal of completing all the titles, we might not want to overlap on our choices - - but we can discuss them here just as well. I just didn't want to put my name down at the wrong point in time! Now I'm clear on it.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments Can you repost a link to the 50 books? I would like to participate.

message 11: by Anita (last edited May 15, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Amy wrote: "Can you repost a link to the 50 books? I would like to participate."

If you click on the word "spreadsheet" in Nicole's post, you will see a list of the 50 books. Or on the words "short list bookshelf".

Maybe you can't see the hot links in the app . . .?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I did not know her but this is a wonderful tribute to her. I would very much like to participate. I will read An Unnecessary Woman in honor of her.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments What is the end date for this tribute? End of the year?

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I will start with Empire Falls

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jason, we didn’t really set an end date. We’ll see how it goes, but our thought was to leave it open for a while.

message 16: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments being new here I didn't know her, but from the obituary she sounds like quite an amazing woman!
This is such a beautiful tribute from a beautiful community

message 17: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I'm also fairly new and didn't get the chance to know her but I'd love read a book in honor of her it's a beautiful idea. I'll read Out of Africa unless someone else already choose it.

message 18: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2330 comments I will read "The Woman Who Walked Into Doors". I'm so glad we are doing this tribute.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments What sad news. I knew she was sick but still sad to hear. Nice idea to read something in her memory.

message 20: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments I will read Lilac Girls in her honor.

message 21: by JoLene (last edited May 15, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Amy, there is a link to Denizen’s short list shelf in the first post.

I am going to read Exit West. There are a couple others on my TBR but not sure I can get to them next month.

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments There are a couple I might be interested in. I'll take another look a bit later when I have more time.

"Lilac Girls" might be the only one on my tbr, but I'm sure that will be a popular choice with many people wanting to read, so I might choose something else.

I think "Doomsday Book" is a possibility for me.

message 23: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I will read ‘Everything Flows’

message 24: by Booknblues (last edited May 16, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Booknblues | 6891 comments I have 4 of her short list on my TBR. We agreed on so many books that I'm sure that I would like a good many of them. I'm hoping to see many highly starred books here, because I know she researched them carefully.

My possible reads are The Namesake,Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why, The Transit of Venus and Before the Fall.

Thank you to the administrators for doing this, I really appreciate it.

message 25: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I was feeling very sad seeing her list. She still had so much she wanted to do. It helps to think that we will provide some completion for her. Also, I've valued her opinions for several years now. There are so many good books on this list!

I'm looking at these because I already own them.

The Girl Who Came Home
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments I will read A Fine Balance. Recently and longstandingly recommended to me, and it has been on my list. She never got to it, but I will get to it in her honor.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments The Three Body Problem was cheap on UK amazon the other day & so I bought it. Although I didn't know her, I am happy to read it (& maybe The Game of Kings) for Denizen.

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments I am touched by everyone's embrace of this tribute . . .

message 29: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1614 comments What a lovely tribute to Denzien. I love this idea. I think I'll start with Broken Monsters since it takes place in my home state. There are several others on her list that I'm interested in.

message 30: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Rachel N. wrote: "What a lovely tribute to Denzien. I love this idea. I think I'll start with Broken Monsters since it takes place in my home state. There are several others on her list that I'm inte..."

I saw this on the list and envy you reading it the first time because I loved this book! But I know what happens so reading it again isn't really an option.

I am really new to the group, so unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to interact with Denise, but I think this a really lovely tribute and look forward to following everyone's review of their pick.

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Jason wrote: "What is the end date for this tribute? End of the year?"

Jason, following up on this, this will be open for most of the year. We may end it before the craziness of the Thanksgiving/December holidays, but will give you plenty of advance notice. Of course, if we collectively read all 50 books from the list then that will be another way this will end.

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments Meli, Many folks are new. I think Denizen would have loved to have many people read in her honor. Pick one up if you like or interests you.

message 33: by Charlotte (last edited May 16, 2018 07:31AM) (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I'm still fairly new and also did not have the pleasure of interacting with Denise. I would love to help out with the challenge but am unfamiliar with most of the books listed.

I've got a couple on my TBR but don't own any of the books on the list so I decided to create a spreadsheet and mark off the ones that have been mentioned and then choose from the rest...

I'm decided on Andersonville, even though he's chunky. I've already read a few Civil War books this year and it's something I'm interested in.

message 34: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments I’ll try to read In the Time of the Butterflies, Dust, or The Book of Night Women. She and I have similar tastes- I have several of her shortlist on my shelves, and have read a handful of them.

message 35: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Anita wrote: "For my first choice, I would like to read Before the Fall, but if someone else wants that one I could also happily do The Association of Small Bombs."

Anita, I thought you might pick out Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why!

message 36: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7477 comments LibraryCin wrote: "There are a couple I might be interested in. I'll take another look a bit later when I have more time.

"Lilac Girls" might be the only one on my tbr, but I'm sure that will be a popular choice wi..."

This is the one I was planning to read--is it okay if more than one of us reads the same book? If not, I can comb my tbr and compare it with this list.

message 37: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I think I may read When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa. It will fit my cultural challenge and is one that I have heard lots about.

Other books that I might fit in this year include A Fine Balance and Before the Fall, but it looks like others will be reading those and I want to contribute by reading something no one else currently plans to.

message 38: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Karin wrote: "This is the one I was planning to read--is it okay if more than one of us reads the same book? If not, I can comb my tbr and compare it with this list."

Yes, it is fine if more than one person reads the same books. Each reader will get the 5 participation points as well as the bonus 10 points if the full list is collectively completed.

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7477 comments Nicole R wrote: "Karin wrote: "This is the one I was planning to read--is it okay if more than one of us reads the same book? If not, I can comb my tbr and compare it with this list."

Yes, it is fine if more than ..."

Thanks, although I haven't been very active so far in that challenge due to a Very Busy Winter and Spring, but still keep thinking I'll get back and fill those in late. It's probably better if I duplicate just in case summer turns out to be more full than anticipated.

message 40: by Anita (last edited May 16, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Nicole R wrote: "Anita wrote: "For my first choice, I would like to read Before the Fall, but if someone else wants that one I could also happily do The Association of Small Bombs."
..."

Oh, that is right up my alley!!!! I already own the other two books, but if I get through those, I may try for this one too.

Since I don't get points, I mostly want to contribute to completing the spreadsheet and honoring Denizen, but figured I start with what I own, lol.

So if anyone else is passionate to read the books I've already named (Before the Fall or The Association of Small Bombs), please let me know, and I'll read what Nicole pointed out to me!

Mindy aka serenity | 120 comments I have In the Time of the Butterflies, so I will plan to read that in Denise's honor.

message 42: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Anita wrote: "So if anyone else is passionate to read the books I've already named (Before the Fall or The Association of Small Bombs), please let me know, and I'll read what Nicole pointed out to me!"

No pressure, Anita! I just saw it and immediately thought of you and your penchant for reading books about disasters!

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments That made me laugh out loud.

message 44: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I will have to look over the book descriptions, but I will try to read Exit West.

message 45: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Anita- I think you would love The Association of Small Bombs.

Amy- You HAVE to read A Fine Balance- I'm betting it will be a new favorite for you!

message 46: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments So many interesting books on her list. And what a nice way to remember her. I'll pick Perdido Street Station, which has been on my radar forever.

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin A I think this is a great and even though I fairly new and did not know her I plan to readThe First Fifteen Lives of Harry August I put it on hold at my library.

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Tracy wrote: "Anita- I think you would love The Association of Small Bombs.

Amy- You HAVE to read A Fine Balance- I'm betting it will be a new favorite for you!"

Oh really!!?? Ok, maybe I'll do that one then and leave Before the Fall for someone else to pick up. Thank you.

message 49: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments There are definitely a few books on the list to peak my interest.

Should we all just start reading, and post our reviews in the review thread when it's made? I'm thinking about reading Before the Fall, The Girl Who Came Home, maybe some others when I get time to read more descriptions.

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments I already have Jason, Anita, and Tracy telling me it’s a must. Not to mention Denise. I’m gonna try to get to it as soon as I can. Which made me in July but it’s going to happen sooner than it would have in her honor.

« previous 1 3 4 5