Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Sad loss

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments PBT has sadly lost a member of our community, Denise Prothero or as she was known here Denizen.

http://obituaries.tribstar.com/obitua...

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9352 comments I knew she was quite ill and had some talks with her about that toward the end of her life. My heart is full for Denise and for her family. We have lost somebody very special. She will be missed.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Oh sad news. Thanks for sharing the obituary Booknblues.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I was just thinking that I hadn’t seen any posting from her in a while. She was an active member and will be missed. Sending thoughts to her family and friends!

message 5: by Jgrace (last edited May 12, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments So very sad. I kept hoping she would have a miraculous reprieve.

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments Jgrace wrote: "So very sad. I kept hoping she have a miraculous reprieve."

Me too!

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Oh, i am so sorry to hear that....😢

message 8: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1612 comments I'm sad too for her loss. Thank you for sharing the obituary.

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2318 comments The obituary is lovely. What an accomplished woman she was and such a meaningful life she lived. We will all miss her here.

message 10: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9066 comments Booknblues wrote: "PBT has sadly lost a member of our community, Denise Prothero or as she was known here Denizen.

http://obituaries.tribstar.com/obitua..."

OH NO!!!! It has been a couple of years, but I chatted with her via pm a few times about yards/gardens, etc.

This makes me so sad. :'(

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments What sad news. But I am happy that her suffering is over.

message 12: by annapi (last edited May 12, 2018 02:23PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Oh no! So sad...

There is a guest book on the webpage, I thought of writing in it, but maybe we can send a message from the whole group?

message 13: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I went ahead and wrote a small note of condolence on the website's guest page.

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments annapi wrote: "I went ahead and wrote a small note of condolence on the website's guest page."

I did that as well.

message 15: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments great photo, and really moving obit. Sad news indeed.

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments Book Concierge wrote: "annapi wrote: "I went ahead and wrote a small note of condolence on the website's guest page."

I did that as well."

annapi wrote: "I went ahead and wrote a small note of condolence on the website's guest page."

Thank you for mentioning that. Now I feel comfortable doing that. I wasn't sure as when I checked the page yesterday from this news on Crossroads it was only people that had known her irl.

I am going to miss her.

message 17: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2668 comments That’s so sad - she was so thoughtful and warm. What a lovely tribute to her - thanks so much for the link.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Oh no . . .I am truly crushed to see this news. I am grateful to know, but so sad. Denizen was a very special and valued member of our community.

message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9066 comments annapi wrote: "Oh no! So sad...

There is a guest book on the webpage, I thought of writing in it, but maybe we can send a message from the whole group?"

I thought about writing something, as well, but backed away before doing so. I'm glad a couple others have. I might still go back, as well.

message 20: by annapi (last edited May 12, 2018 11:51PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I thought about writing something, as well, but backed away before doing so. I'm glad a couple others have. I might still go back, as well."

I backed away at first, but on the guest book page I clicked on the link "What should I write?" and the first suggestion was "Write that note, even when you feel awkward. Skipping the note might be interpreted as a sign that you don’t care about the family’s sorrow. This is never the message you want to send." So I did.

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments She had such a wonderful mind and outlook on her books and courage about her illness. It is too bad that GR doesn't have a special status that would allow a person's reviews persist. I understand that all reviews and comments disappear when membership is terminated. A way to leave voice and contributions without the false illusion they are still active.

message 22: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments What sad news. I didn’t know if her illness and have noticed her absence. She will be missed. I’m shedding a tear for her here.

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments Michael wrote: "She had such a wonderful mind and outlook on her books and courage about her illness. It is too bad that GR doesn't have a special status that would allow a person's reviews persist. I understand t..."

An GR profile has to be specifically deleted, and there are two ways to delete your account ... I believe you can specify that the comments remain ... not sure about the reviews, though. In any case, it doesn't get automatically deleted unless someone with the password to the account goes in an specifically does it. At present Denizen's GR profile is still up.

message 24: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1612 comments Thank you for pointing out the guestbook. I somehow missed it when I read her obituary. I also added a comment there.

message 25: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9066 comments I just went back and reread our conversations about yards, trees, and birds. :'( Since I was starting fresh with my yard, I kept her updated on how all my new tress/shrubs were doing, but the last I'd heard from her was in fall 2016. That's when she let me know about the cancer.

I also had a coworker pass away in March, who helped me with trees, plants, gardening stuff. Guess I'll need to find new people to discuss that with.

message 26: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments I didn't know her, but from her obituary and all of your comments it sounds like she was a very interesting woman.

message 27: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7468 comments annapi wrote: "I backed away at first, but on the guest book page I clicked on the link "What should I write?" and the first suggestion was "Write that note, even when you feel awkward. Skipping the note might be interpreted as a sign that you don’t care about the family’s sorrow. This is never the message you want to send." So I did"

Good point!

message 28: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments So sorry for this family's loss.

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Really nice Obit. Sad to lose her. I didn't know her personally but I enjoyed her reviews.

Is this the first member we have lost?

Here is a link to her profile. Maybe part of the decathlon as tribute to Denizen?

\\https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/2...

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I found this quote under Denizen's favorite quotes.

“Stories make sense when so much around us is senseless, and perhaps what makes them most comforting is that while life goes on and pain goes on, stories do us the favor of ending.”
― John Hodgman

I found it apt and comforting.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "I found this quote under Denizen's favorite quotes.

“Stories make sense when so much around us is senseless, and perhaps what makes them most comforting is that while life goes on and pain goes o..."

This is a wonderful quote Jason. Very appropriate.

message 32: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments Jason wrote: "Really nice Obit. Sad to lose her. I didn't know her personally but I enjoyed her reviews.

Here is a link to her profile. Maybe part of the decathlon as tr..."

Jason, Denizen always kept a list of books which she was hoping to read soon, called her shortlist. I would love if her shortlist could be part of the decathalon as a tribute to her. Denise always paid attention to reviews here and elsewhere and she would put books which she thought had merit on her shortlist. My last communication with her was if I thought that a book would fit the strong woman category, I'm not sure if she ever had a chance to read it. :(

This is her shortlist if anyone is interested: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Booknblues wrote: "Jason wrote: "Really nice Obit. Sad to lose her. I didn't know her personally but I enjoyed her reviews.

Here is a link to her profile. Maybe part of the d..."

Thank-you for telling us about this. Might start adding a few from that list.

message 34: by LibraryCin (last edited May 13, 2018 08:05PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9066 comments Jason wrote: "Is this the first member we have lost?..."

I feel like there was someone else a few years back when we were still on shelfari, but who that was is not coming to me... :-(

I think her daughter popped in to the group to let us know.

message 35: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Is this the first member we have lost?..."

I feel like there was someone else a few years back when we were still on shelfari, but who that was is not coming to me... :-(

I think he..."

From my group on Shelfari, we had another member who passed, she was a teacher of the gifted in Arkansas, I'm struggling to come up with her name JGrace, perhaps you can - it had to do with art, and music

message 36: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2318 comments I don't know if it is the same person you are thinking of Cindy and Bookn, but my very first friend at Shelfari, Gale, passed away several years back. We all did read from her shelf as a tribute.

message 37: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments Oh, I like the idea of a "short list" .... I may have to borrow that from her.

message 38: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments Booknblues wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Jason wrote: "Is this the first member we have lost?..."

I feel like there was someone else a few years back when we were still on shelfari, but who that was is not coming to me..."

Story/Tracey might remember, but I can't quite recall the screen name. wordsand music ? maybe?

message 39: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments Ellen wrote: "I don't know if it is the same person you are thinking of Cindy and Bookn, but my very first friend at Shelfari, Gale, passed away several years back. We all did read from her shelf as a tribute."

You're right, Ellen. I remember the tribute read, although I can't remember what book I chose. I really hate that so much was lost when shelfari went under.

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6745 comments Ellen wrote: "I don't know if it is the same person you are thinking of Cindy and Bookn, but my very first friend at Shelfari, Gale, passed away several years back. We all did read from her shelf as a tribute."

Yes, we did lose another member, and she was Gale. Also a lovely lovely person who was a loss to our community for sure.

We will be planning a tribute for Denizen.

message 41: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6864 comments Jgrace wrote: "Ellen wrote: "I don't know if it is the same person you are thinking of Cindy and Bookn, but my very first friend at Shelfari, Gale, passed away several years back. We all did read from her shelf a..."

JGrace, was her name Words, Art, Music - I can't remember what her real name was but I sent her a bookmark. You are right if we could go back to the old Shelfari, at least we could look up those things.

message 42: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Oh no, so sad to hear. She was also so nice to comment on reviews I thought no one had noticed. She will definitely be missed.

Denzien's "read" list, and "TBR" list are both huge, and her books are extremely organized via tag. I'm definitely interested in doing some sort of challenge or group read to honor and remember her via books.

message 43: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9066 comments Ellen wrote: "I don't know if it is the same person you are thinking of Cindy and Bookn, but my very first friend at Shelfari, Gale, passed away several years back. We all did read from her shelf as a tribute."

Ellen, thank you! I think it was Gale whom I was thinking of.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (spirolim) | 178 comments Oh, Denise! I wasn't very close to her, but I just read her obituary, and wow! She did so much with her life! She was a wonderful person.

message 45: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) Sorry to hear that :(

The obituary is really lovely though, sounds like she had a full life and left lots of things to remember her by.