What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Top Secret
This topic is about Top Secret
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle grade book, kid turns himself into a plant as a science fair project. Cover shows a kid with green skin sitting in class. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brian | 69 comments A kid thinks he's discovered a way to turn humans into plants and wants to do it for the science fair. His humorless teacher will have none of it, and forces him to do a project about lipstick instead. He makes his plant formula anyway and tests it on himself. His skin turns green and he starts to grow roots from his feet. Eventually he attracts the attention of government scientists who develop pills that work as an antidote. As revenge, he makes up a lipstick laced with the plant formula an d gives it to his teacher. She turns green. However, when he gives her the antidote pill she refuses to take it, and is hauled off by government agents, never to be seen again. The boy's grandfather says she's probably planted somewhere. 1980s or earlier.

message 2: by Melanti (last edited May 15, 2018 08:47AM) (new)

Melanti | 333 comments Oh, I know I've read this, but I don't remember the title.

Googling turns up Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner, but that cover doesn't look at all familiar.

Looks like this is the one I had: Top Secret

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40655 comments Mod
Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner

Brian, can we call this solved?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bumping since Brian posted recently.

message 5: by Kaley (new)

Kaley Marie (nefantasy) | 2 comments I would think it would be Top Secret, I have definitely read that book before..

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments It's definitely Top Secret. Everything matches.

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still out there, Brian?

Brian | 69 comments Sorry. Yes, this is absolutely this. Solved and thank you.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Super!

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new) - added it

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Awesome, thanks for the update!